GSP vs Yoel Romero at MW in 2017 - Who do you think would have won?

Kertol

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
GSP vs Yoel Romero at MW in 2017 - Who do you think would of won?

Seems like GSP was getting better with age at that time with revived finishing instinct at Middleweight and even more cerebral as a fighter the way he won the belt and adjusted throughout the fight.
Yoel Romero was a beast though and hit way harder than GSP and would have had the size advantage. I think he probably would have been able to defend most of GSP's takedowns or at least not get held down. Safe to assume the fight would of taken place on the feet 95% of the fight with GSP being the more technical versatile striker, GSP would have the advantage in endurance, game planning and strategy too. Romero the edge in durability.

Kind of a toss up I feel like but curios to hear what others think. I could have imagined a finish from both guys.

GSP would be winning most of the minutes through activity, but Romero would almost certainly rock him at some point. By the end of the fight, GSP is going to wear the damage on his face and it's gonna be a controversial split decision or something like that.

Let's not pretend like GSP was some super elusive wizard on the feet.

Hendricks touched him up and I think Yoel could have too.

GSP also being that outmatched physically would be a serious problem, he's never dealt with anything close to that.

I think it could have looked like chito vs font or chito vs Cruz in that substantial amounts of rounds would have GSP touching Romero with little damage, then Romero landing numerically lower but much more damaging strikes. I’m thinking Romero would find GSPs chin eventually and end the fight. Even if GSP were to have success with takedowns I think it would be very taxing trying to hold Romero down. Without rewatching the fight, I remember GSP having trouble keeping bisping down and GSP looking a little gassed before scoring the left hook that sat him down

At 185, Yoel probably ends up clipping him. GSP was a little too thick for that weight class. He somewhat looked gassed against Bisping.

I think Yoel catches him. There’s a reason GSP only came out of retirement and moved up when Bisping became champ. Bisping getting beat up by 50 year old Hendo prior to their fight was probably encouraging

Romero. Romero was a massive MW and I think the cardio at 185llb would be about equal and GSP strengths are nullified by Yoels strengths.

Romero probably catches him for the tko but gsp certainly showed he had the tools to stay on the outside and to land takedowns on very high level wrestlers.

However, mw gsp was a different fighter. He was too brawny, gassed too easily and still would have had a significant size disadvantage against Romero.

Heart: 100% gsp
Brain: 60% Romero; 40% GSP

gsp is far too fast and smart for me to see him getting clipped by romero. of course, a prime romero COULD throttle gsp if he put his mind to it but we’ve seen romero just stand still like a moron a dozen times. gsp’s jab keeps romero frozen and the first time romero commits/explodes, he gets double-legged. gsp 50-45.

Romero. Romero was a massive MW and I think the cardio at 185llb would be about equal and GSP strengths are nullified by Yoels strengths.

I think the cardio advantage would go to Yoel.

Gsp was a small MW with too much muscle for his frame. To my eyes, this was the story for his MW fight. He seemed to be very obviously slowing down and also seemed to have developed more power. I can't recall another instance where this advantage/disadvantage of going up a weight class was so clearly apparent

I remember thinking, man, a 175 pound weightclass would have been perfect for GSP. He'd be just a bit thicker with a bit more power but then same cardio and agility.

Yoel would have put his lights out with something at some point.

GSP knew Ping was an incredibly weak champ and a golden opportunity.

If GSP could put together a solid game plan and be able to execute it I have GSP winning by close decision. If Romero shows up on his A game I think he could very well take it. Simply because MW GSP doesn't have good cardio, is slower and would have the size, strength and power disadvantage..

Back