GSP vs McGregor would have been the biggest fight in UFC history

1. I called it a rumor. In the section you quoted.
2. I have a source too, saying the opposite of GSP. You know this. Which makes it a classic he said / he said.
3. It was an example. The point I was trying to make (maybe I was too vague) is that rumors are rumors, and just because some folks want it - or even if fighters say they want it - it doesn't necessarily mean fights materialize.
4. There is always a dozen other things going on in the background that influence whether fights get made.

TS spewed out a bunch of rumors, connected those dots, called them fact, ignored counter examples (or my #4, that there are always other factors), and concluded that Dana is an idiot. That's not a reasonable or rational thought process.

I'm sorry you read my post and decided I was attacking GSP and that you needed to defend him. That wasn't my agenda.

It's a rumour from a known liar vs the word of a classy gentleman like GSP.

I didn't say you were attacking gsp. You were more than happy to talk about the rumour that gsp turned down Silva many times but ignored GSP's version which was he was never offered it during his run.

If you were truly unbias you would have presented both sides. You did not.

Also the fact that you decided that I think you are attacking GSP tells me you were, that didn't even cross my mind. I was just telling you what gsp said

GSP vs McGregor would easily have been the biggest, most hyped fight in UFC history.

Nothing else would come close. Their two biggest PPV guys fighting.

If GSP and McGregor are really both retired I’d wager Dana didn’t even try to set this fight up. They’d still be in negotiations if he had. Now they’re both gone.

AND WME has signed Dana White to a 7 year extension. Dana didn’t even try to set up the biggest fight in company history as a retirement fight for both guys but they resigned him anyway.

So the biggest payday in company history is gone for nothing and the guy who couldn’t make it happen is going to be running the show for the next 7 years.

All I can say is LOL

This is what happened to boxing people stopped talking about belts and the sport and started talking like they were promoters rather than fans. In the 00's and 10's people replaced boxing stats like wins and losses with PPV buys. People were legit making arguments that Floyd is GOAT by talking about his PPV numbers. People remember Tyson more than Holyfield, Lewis and Buster Douglas(a loss that was never avenged) because he sold more PPV's even though he lost.

It be like talking about great QB's based on attendance. This shit is exactly why the dude with the most defenses isn't even in the GOAT conversation. We've got professional journalists who want to see Jones fight a dude who's fought 4 times this decade. No way in hell Brock would give Jones an interesting fight but you guys don't care about that, you just want to see how many PPV's they can sell, don't you?

At least the people salivating over people with entertaining styles is based on substance. Here you are legit getting excited to sell yourself a product rather than consuming it.

I'm someone who got interested in this sport watching Kimbo. I understand the appeal of a well promoted fight that turns out to be a clusterfuck. But you guys keep taking it too far.

Finish him? He may lie on top of him for five rounds but finish him is a stretch.
I don’t know about a “Stretch” but he will dominate him and finishing him is actually a reasonable possibility.

I don’t know about a “Stretch” but he will dominate him and finishing him is actually a reasonable possibility.
He most likely would dominate him. I know he was heavier, but against Bisping he was a lot slower than in the past and also got tagged a few times, it's not beyond the realm of possiblily that he'd get caught now that he's slowed a tad.
Old school GSP is simply too big for a Conor, but seeing how Conor defended in the first against Khabib, I think he'd handle himself pretty well.

A GSP vs McGregor would've meant f*k all to me a WW great vs some puffed up smoke & mirrors fighters built on hype and made up fairy tale greatness.

He most likely would dominate him. I know he was heavier, but against Bisping he was a lot slower than in the past and also got tagged a few times, it's not beyond the realm of possiblily that he'd get caught now that he's slowed a tad.
Old school GSP is simply too big for a Conor, but seeing how Conor defended in the first against Khabib, I think he'd handle himself pretty well.

I think GSP can take Conor’s shots though, at least long enough to execute his game plan.

GSP said even after his retirement that he wanted Khabib, not McGregor. He said that if the UFC said yes to Khabib, he would be in training camp right now.

I think the UFC screwed up. GSP-Khabib is great in an era like we are in (freak fights are encouraged).

This is what happened to boxing people stopped talking about belts and the sport and started talking like they were promoters rather than fans. In the 00's and 10's people replaced boxing stats like wins and losses with PPV buys. People were legit making arguments that Floyd is GOAT by talking about his PPV numbers. People remember Tyson more than Holyfield, Lewis and Buster Douglas(a loss that was never avenged) because he sold more PPV's even though he lost.

It be like talking about great QB's based on attendance. This shit is exactly why the dude with the most defenses isn't even in the GOAT conversation. We've got professional journalists who want to see Jones fight a dude who's fought 4 times this decade. No way in hell Brock would give Jones an interesting fight but you guys don't care about that, you just want to see how many PPV's they can sell, don't you?

At least the people salivating over people with entertaining styles is based on substance. Here you are legit getting excited to sell yourself a product rather than consuming it.

I'm someone who got interested in this sport watching Kimbo. I understand the appeal of a well promoted fight that turns out to be a clusterfuck. But you guys keep taking it too far.

GSP vs McGregor is taking things too far? Getting excited to sell myself a product? I want to see GSP fight McGregor very badly - and hype is part of the product. Moreover, GSP asked for a fight at LW, the UFC wanted to make sure he could make the weight, and Conor needs a fight.

You are ascribing a lot of bullshit to me that has nothing to do with what making the fight I suggested.

And BTW you’re wrong in general, MMA and prize fighting have operated on hype since their inception. The fans always talked about champs fighting big names rather than taking “the best guy available” according to whoever made the rankings. There’s a reason Joe Louis couldn’t get a title shot without promising Jim Braddock a percentage of his winnings for the rest of his career. Joe was the best and most deserving contender, but it didn’t matter, and that was in the 1930s.

People have argued that popularity = greatness for about a century now when it comes to prize fighting. Muhammad Ali talked his way into a fight against Liston. It’s been like that since Jack Dempsey. Being able to draw a crowd is how sports survive and the crowds have always been drawn differently when it comes to fight sport vs team/league sports.

Last edited:
GSP vs McGregor is taking things too far? Getting excited to sell myself a product? I want to see GSP fight McGregor very badly - and hype is part of the product. Moreover, GSP asked for a fight at LW, the UFC wanted to make sure he could make the weight, and Conor needs a fight.

You are ascribing a lot of bullshit to me that has nothing to do with what making the fight I suggested.

And BTW you’re wrong in general, MMA and prize fighting have operated on hype since their inception. The fans always talked about champs fighting big names rather than taking “the best guy available” according to whoever made the rankings. There’s a reason Joe Louis couldn’t get a title shot without promising Jim Braddock a percentage of his winnings for the rest of his career. Joe was the best and most deserving contender, but it didn’t matter, and that was in the 1930s.

People have argued that popularity = greatness for about a century now when it comes to prize fighting. Muhammad Ali talked his way into a fight against Liston. It’s been like that since Jack Dempsey. Being able to draw a crowd is how sports survive and the crowds have always been drawn differently when it comes to fight sport vs team/league sports.

You know wanting to see a fight between two fighters because of it's PR merits. There's no reason to want to see Conor fight an ATG except that he's popular. On the merits he is not even in the discussion for his divisions belt, couldn't beat a borderline top 10 guy in GSP's division. That fight is all about the numbers and you said as much.

Yeah I went on a rant but I'm day drinking so fuck it. Also while I went off on a tangent about money fights nothing I said was really wrong nor was it not related to what you are saying. All that stuff I said does have to do with the fight you mentioned cause without that BS no reason to want to see it. On the merits you want a dude who's(technically) won 13 or 14 straight fights to come out of retirement to fight a guy who's 2-2 since he left 145. That doesn't make sense if you take out the PPV aspect. Khabib is an undefeated champ.

It wasn't about them being big names it was about their prospects of winning. A sport is a career and Braddock was trying to cash in if he was going to take a fight he had a very good chance of losing(though he also wasn't supposed to win the title so don't know why he decided to be stingy there) . Joe Louis was also actually the best fighter in the world, the hype existed for a reason. With guys like Conor and Brock it's at a point where the excitement is because other people have excitement for......reasons. Joe was the most deserving contender, Conor isn't even deserving of a shot at his divisions belt, not even close. Why should he get to jump the line to yet another "money fight"?

"people have argued for a century now popularity equals greatness". They have? Really? Muhammad Ali was an undefeated up and comer when he fought Liston. Most guys champs fight against in boxing don't have a chance of winning. That's one way UFC is better, the best fight the best no mismatches or much fewer mismatches. Ali might have been an underdog but you can hardly say he didn't deserve to fight the champ, fighting the champ isn't the same sort of honor in the same way it is(or was) in MMA. Again same with Jack Dempsey he hadn't lost since WWI, it wasn't empty hype. For example someone who made money fights the right way Chael. Chael promoted a fight by actually making people want to see it. He hit AS over 300 times. That's why people came back for the second one, not "because it's a money fight".

You know competitively speaking this isn't an intriguing match and GSP would destroy him right? Only reason Khabib was in the convo was cause he was a large and undefeated 155'er. Conor is a 145'er who again could barely handle a top 10-15 guy at 170.

Can we draw crowds based on a good fight and not based on a spectacle?

Would you have sex just once with the girl of your dream but have your pecker unable to work for 3 years?

That's the equivalent of having GSP fight Khabib and GSP winning. Another dropped belt and clogged division in shambles.

Everyone said the same thing about GSP v Silva. Rumor has it GSP flat out refused. Many times.

They aren't gladiators. If they refuse to fight, that's that.

GSP refused to fight Anderson at 185. Anderson refused to fight GSP at 170. Why?
Because they're businessmen who's every fight is worth several million them, and good businessmen don't take a contract unless its good for them.

I suspect that both said the same thing: that they would change weight division (GSP going up or Anderson going down) if they got significantly more PPV shares for doing so. And the UFC would of course have said no to giving away extra PPV shares.

Why fights happen or don't happen is the same as every other multi-million dollar business deal -- it comes down to money. Its why Pac and Mayweather didn't fight for years (remember all the talk claiming one or the other was ducking?), until the money was right and then suddenly both were happy to fight.

Fighters might fight for pride or challenge when they're starting out and win or lose the pay is a few thousand. When its in the millions they take it as seriously as anyone else, and go for the best deal possible.

Basically, people are upset because fighters aren't stupid enough to throw away millions.

Prime Conor is fully capable of KOIng Georges, as long it is in the USADA era

I think the fight could still happen. At LW. A battle between two 2 division champs. Winner gets a title shot. The theme sells its self. Conor plays the ultimate rocky balboa under dog in the build up.

GSP vs McGregor would easily have been the biggest, most hyped fight in UFC history.

Nothing else would come close. Their two biggest PPV guys fighting.

If GSP and McGregor are really both retired I’d wager Dana didn’t even try to set this fight up. They’d still be in negotiations if he had. Now they’re both gone.

AND WME has signed Dana White to a 7 year extension. Dana didn’t even try to set up the biggest fight in company history as a retirement fight for both guys but they resigned him anyway.

So the biggest payday in company history is gone for nothing and the guy who couldn’t make it happen is going to be running the show for the next 7 years.

All I can say is LOL

Nothing with McGregor would be the biggest fight in the UFC. Do you know how fucking bad Conor would get savaged by GSP?

It would be man vs boy.

Back