Gsp should start the ufc union

MichaelCoughlin

White Belt
Reaction score
Kind of blatant plugging, no doubt, but also genuinely think the discussion needs to be had. Not just about a UFC Union but about GSP specifically. We've seen abuses of fighters left and right, from Reebok to pay etc... a union is the only realistic way to prevent the continued abuse. And GSP is the only person, and now is the only time, this could ever ever happen: HE NEEDS TO START A UNION.

http://halfguarded.com/georges-st-pierre-should-create-a-ufc-union-and-forever-secure-his-legacy/

He already said that he won't bite the hand that fed him and made him into what he is today.

How is he in a position to do this? I wonder if you misunderstand what people mean when they say that prominent fighters need to step up to make a union. They don't mean retired fighters. They mean active fighters, preferably champions, who have more leverage. GSP has no leverage, he's no longer a fighter.

If someone like Ronda Rousey were to participate in starting a union, it would be different. Because unlike most UFC fighters, Ronda doesn't risk losing her job with the UFC. There's no way they'd get rid of her and give her to the competition.

But then Ronda Rousey doesn't want to do it, because she's likely to make a lot more money if she stays independent. She probably doesn't want to go on strike to demand higher pay for no-name UFC rookies.

One doesn’t just “start a union”. That seems to be missing from the article. There’s a lot more to it than just deciding to start a union, and one person alone doesn’t do it.

he's the one we need, but not the one we deserve

GSP's crusade was PEDs and it seems like that torch has been taken off his hands anyway.

The union cause needs somebody charismatic who can talk people into banding together.

GSP has said he made $4-5mil per fight as champion. He got paid bank by Zuffa, though he was the one of the few who did.

this............ but tbh TS should have known this stuff anyway, as its common knowledge

Kind of blatant plugging, no doubt, but also genuinely think the discussion needs to be had. Not just about a UFC Union but about GSP specifically. We've seen abuses of fighters left and right, from Reebok to pay etc... a union is the only realistic way to prevent the continued abuse. And GSP is the only person, and now is the only time, this could ever ever happen: HE NEEDS TO START A UNION.

http://halfguarded.com/georges-st-pierre-should-create-a-ufc-union-and-forever-secure-his-legacy/
Love him or Hate him, GSP is smart guy and he would never be the one to start this. The UFC has made him a millionaire, several times over and he would be essentially turning his back of them. Never going to happen!

He doesn't necessarily have to do the work. Obviously it would be done by lawyers and people who actually form unions, but his public support would be immeasurable. If Jon Fitch tried, no one would listen. If even Jose Aldo tried, he's expendable. But GSP? ONE FIGHT from him can bring make the UFC well in excess of $25million dollars - easily. If he tells the world, "I want to fight but not until a union exists", it carries weight. It gets needed attention. It puts the most clean cut fighter in UFC history - someone who has never had a HINT of public problems - right there. For a guy who has a ton of money and every realistic WW fighting record, this would elevate him to the pantheon of most memorable sports figures EVER - not just MMA, but Babe Ruth, Pele, etc...

People still talk about the work Curt Flood did in baseball and his role in the formation of a true MLB union. And whilst Flood was a very good baseball player, he wasn't the GSP of baseball. If someone like Flood can be remembered decades later, image what it would mean for GSP...

Oh yeah? Would you join the union then? Wait...you're not a professional fighter. So why the f*ck do you care?

Are you just posting this on every MMA forum you can find?

I see the same thread on the UG.

I make no bones that I'm trying to push this. If I think it's important- and I do - I should want the audience to be as large as possible.

The site literally has dozens and dozens of articles a week and it's not like this is done for 99% of them.

What could GSP do?

Ask fighters to sign their union cards because he guarantees the union guys are legit and things will be better.

I love Georges. He'd likely say nice things about the fighters forming a union but he shouldn't be part of the union.

Back