GSP or T Wood... Who takes it?

These threads make me think people have no concept of time. GSP is old. His last fight, he beat a slightly less old but still washed up Englishman, ironic. But I digress. I think prime GSP would win, but he should stick to retirement now. I realize they are only one or two years apart, but GSP has quite a bit more fights on his resume. Fighting age aint the same. That's why DC still looks like a young gun in the cage.

He might now. GSP isn't nearly as explosive and fit as he used to be. George could grapplefuck you for 5 rounds easily back in the day and still look fresh. Against Bisping we gassed after 1 round. If he talk prime vs prime I think their wrestling would cancel each other out which makes it a striking match. GSP being the much better striker

GSP is 100% the better technical striker imo he was the first person to bring the jab to MMA. BUT that being said he lacks the power that Woodley has in loads which alone doesnt matter but Tyrons a smart fighter himself, hes not gonna flail around overhand rights and plod forward eating jabs. Tyron sets traps and counters HEAVY like he did tonight, like he did to Maia when he shot TD's and like he did when he completely neutralized the best kickboxer in MMA. If it was just any other powerhouse fighter I'd pick GSP by a boxing clinic but Woodleys smarter than he gets credit for. I agree that the wrestling might cancel eachother out and that GSP 100% has the better technique but the power and how Woodley's able to deliver it is why I think he would beat GSP, who for the record is one of my favorite fighters and the WW GOAT.

Tough to say, I'd love to see it. Woodley's power could change the complexion of that one at any moment, but GSP throws a broader range of strikes and has excellent timing. Wrastling would probably be a wash but I could see either taking the other down. Super fun matchup, too bad we'll never see it.

GSP is 100% the better technical striker imo he was the first person to bring the jab to MMA. BUT that being said he lacks the power that Woodley has in loads which alone doesnt matter but Tyrons a smart fighter himself, hes not gonna flail around overhand rights and plod forward eating jabs. Tyron sets traps and counters HEAVY like he did tonight, like he did to Maia when he shot TD's and like he did when he completely neutralized the best kickboxer in MMA. If it was just any other powerhouse fighter I'd pick GSP by a boxing clinic but Woodleys smarter than he gets credit for. I agree that the wrestling might cancel eachother out and that GSP 100% has the better technique but the power and how Woodley's able to deliver it is why I think he would beat GSP, who for the record is one of my favorite fighters and the WW GOAT.

Woodley always has a punchers chance. Yes he is smart but objectively speaking, what skills does he have that are better than GSP's? His wrestling maybe but he rarely uses it and he only seems to get takedowns against the weakest wrestlers in the division. So again, we are standing. We agree that GSP has the better striking technique. Cardio? GSP easily. Fight IQ? GSP might be a contender for the smartest fighter in UFC history. I mean there are only a handful of fighters who match him in that department so GSP again. Speed? Might give that to Tyron. Power? Tyron.

So basically:
wrestling: equal
Striking: GSP
Cardio: GSP
Fight IQ: GSP
Height/Reach: GSP
Speed: Tyron
Power: Tyron

That's how I look at it at least. It's like 4:2 in GSP's favor on paper. Of course everything can happen but I never bet on power. I bet on the better fighter.

GSP decisions Wood 10/10 times. Woolley has a punchers chance like Serra at best.

Woodley.

It could realistically go either way, but I feel like Tyrone would manage to pull the trigger at the right moment and knock George into another planet. My gut also tells me we're destined to never see Conor vs GSP unfortunately, so I could see him losing to Woodley if that fight happens next for that reason as well.

Woodley always has a punchers chance. Yes he is smart but objectively speaking, what skills does he have that are better than GSP's? His wrestling maybe but he rarely uses it and he only seems to get takedowns against the weakest wrestlers in the division. So again, we are standing. We agree that GSP has the better striking technique. Cardio? GSP easily. Fight IQ? GSP might be a contender for the smartest fighter in UFC history. I mean there are only a handful of fighters who match him in that department so GSP again. Speed? Might give that to Tyron. Power? Tyron.

So basically:
wrestling: equal
Striking: GSP
Cardio: GSP
Fight IQ: GSP
Height/Reach: GSP
Speed: Tyron
Power: Tyron

That's how I look at it at least. It's like 4:2 in GSP's favor on paper. Of course everything can happen but I never bet on power. I bet on the better fighter.

It's not simply betting on power alone with Woodley, it's how he sets it up. Of course his power is legit there's a reason literally NOBODY opens up against Woodley. Not the Just Bleed King Robbier Lawler who fought completely timid and unlike his normal self, not the best Kickboxer in MMA in WB NOBODY with a brain opens up on Woodley. We saw exactly what happens when you do tonight. Woodley IMO has just as much IQ as GSP who's a technical genius in MMA. What aspects of GSP's striking is better other than his jab? I'd say the 1-2 right hand and uppercut and highkick are all in Woodleys favor. I'd also argue that height and reach are a detriment against a guy like Tyron who's a stocky fireplug of a counter puncher. His bread and butter is getting inbetween your shots and countering. Prime GSP def has the cardio advantage but current GSP has at least as bad a gas tank as Woodley lol. GSP was visibly winded after a round against Bisping.

But what I'm getting at is if the wrestling cancels eachother out and it stays standing what is it that we're gonna see? GSP is a smart fighter he doesn't take risks ever. He's going to use his outstanding jab to keep distance. But what does Woodley do like 100% of the time? short fighter 101 slip the jab and come over the top with the right hand. It's literally his best punch and he sets the trap for it so brilliantly. The second GSP throws a lazy jab trying to find range Tyrons coming over the top with the counter to the temple and he has yet to catch someone with that without putting them down. we KNOW Tyron isn't gonna carelessly follow GSP and eat punches and if GSP tries to lead then its gonna be the same scenario. Nobody opens up on Woodley without paying for it (other than 100:1 TE ratio marq) I think GSP recognizes that and thats why he'd rather fight at MW and even cut off a leg to make LW lol.

Again that isn't a knock on GSP and it doesnt detract from his GOAT career nor does it mean that Woodley should be higher ranked on the ATG list. I just think Woodley is a BAD matchup for GSP. It's a shame they'll never fight but at this point in his career Im not anymore interested in seeing him take a loss than he is. He's earned his place and doesn't need to take any damage.

Ya'll are wack. GSP owns Woodley in typical fashion.

In his prime I'd pick GSP, but he is too old to fight guys like Woodley now. He'd smash Conor, Khabib, Elkookoo....but a welterweight like Tyrone is just too much for him.

Agreed, GSP would also get smashed by Bisping.

GSP. Too smart, too athletic, too aggressive, too good of a MMA wrestler. Basically the opposite of what Till came with

Agreed, GSP would also get smashed by Bisping.
Right, the talk before the fight was

“GSP is too small, wont be able to handle the size of the former LHW contender, now MW champ that slept rocksalt, no way gsp wins. His punches lack the power to even bother the durable Bisping, gsp doesn’t have H-bombs, bisping will laugh at gsp’s Jab”

Gsp drops that mother with a left hook that would more than likely have SLEPT most people , then chokes the life out of his ass.

Bisping might , and more than likely hits harder than Woodley
Hendricks at the time more than likely was hitting harder than Woodley

Gsp does not have a bad chin, ATE a head kick from condit and recovers to win.

Gsp studies tapes like a mofo, and two of his buddies and training partners messed Woodley up.

If you don’t think he has a game plan to work Woodley you are dilusional fan boy.

The way he talked to Woodley he’s not worried about him at all, knew he would best bisping and told him basically if you want the mw belt from me come try and was laughing.

He had no idea he was gonna have the ass aids problems then, he knew something was wrong but didn’t know what at the time.

Personally I think if they fought, it would look like a carbon copy of thebGSP Herion fight, but Woodley goes to sleep on the way down getting his head bounced off the cage like vs marquart

Gsp in his only rematches vs people , worked them worst the secound time around, having experienced what they had before.

He has the benifit of TWO of his buddies beating the shit out of him, he will have no problems planning and training for Woodley.

Aka a wrestler with some power. Seen that shit before. Been there done that. Nothing new here to see.

Woodley gets embarrassed BAD by GSP

Can you imagine if GSP/Woodley was the co main event of Conor/Khabib? I'd pay $100 for that PPV. (granted they had good undercards too)

Back