GSP back in his bag

Okay....and? Why the hell do you care what other people are interested in?

Others could say MMA is pointless and shouldn't be funded. Why are they wrong but you're right?

It is my opinion that it has no actual benefit relative to the importance that we have given it, especially comparatively to other science.

People can disagree with me it's all fine. You're the one that seem bothered by the mere fact that I stated what I think.

It is my opinion that it has no actual benefit relative to the importance that we have given it, especially comparatively to other science.

People can disagree with me it's all fine. You're the one that seem bothered by the mere fact that I stated what I think.
1707848643516.png

I never understood why it was important to study dinosaurs or why we should pay "paleontologist" for that. So ok the spinosaurus was a bit bigger than the T-Rex. Except buying toys for my kid what is the consequence ? Yawn

Cuz maybe we wanted to know what those giant f****** bones we were digging up were. Seems like a logical ending.

Serious question, are you on the autism spectrum? The way you are responding makes me strongly feel like you are.

I never understood why it was important to study dinosaurs or why we should pay "paleontologist" for that. So ok the spinosaurus was a bit bigger than the T-Rex. Except buying toys for my kid what is the consequence ? Yawn
they study the evolutionary history of life, not just dinosaurs. It is an extremely important field. We know that we are ephemeral and basically hopeless as a species thanks to paleontological knowledge.

Bro, Crocs and gators are amateurs. The true alpha is this guy -

"Horseshoe crabs are ancient creatures that first appeared at least 480 million years ago during the Ordovician Period and don't appear to have changed much since."

My first time fishing in the Outer Banks (OBX) of N Carolina I snagged one of these creatures. They are truly freaky looking creatures. The one on my line was also pretty hairy. Which looks even weirder. I just cut my line once I saw what it was.

undoubtedly. That's their only usefulness tho. Toys and movies.

I'm saying that this whole field of study seems pointless to me. It's not like geologists or botanists or zoologists who are doing something that humanity can actually benefit from. Dinosaurs study is just for folklore it doesn't bring anything.

The government is since they're public servants in most countries, at least in Europe they are as they work in universities and museums.

I'm fine personally, you don't seem to be able to articulate your idea very eloquently yourself this
Yeah, who cares about evolution, earth cycles, geology, extinction and the history of the planet we live on?!

Yeah, who cares about evolution, earth cycles, geology, extinction and the history of the planet we live on?!

You're responding "who cares about geology" to a post where I praise geologists...

Because history is a record of human civilization and behavior and is extremely beneficial to all the identity groups that exist in the world to preserve their cultures and memory, has a direct impact on current diplomatic relations between countries and groups of people and allows us to learn from the mistake that occurred during it and recognize the same patterns when they happen ? Amongst the benefits because there are many others.

Does paleontology has any of that usefulness ?
you could make this “usefulness” argument for a vast amount of our collective knowledge. often times its only usefulness is in satiating our curiosities about the world. that’s justification enough for me. besides, i could surmise a few practical uses for paleontology, particularly as it relates to responding to extinction-level events.

as for history…. i’ll play devil’s advocate. history is just a narrative written by the victors of past conflicts. various threads of history are rewritten, omitted, erased, or even outright fabricated. in 200 years, our surviving post-apocalypse descendants will read about how donald trump crossed the potomac on january 6, 2021, to enslave the jews at the behest of russia. nobody will know the truth, and most won’t even care. there are people in 2024 who are willing to believe all sorts of nonsense if it suits their personal agenda. so why bother learning history? seems like writing history is a better investment.

you could make this “usefulness” argument for a vast amount of our collective knowledge. often times its only usefulness is in satiating our curiosities about the world. that’s justification enough for me. besides, i could surmise a few practical uses for paleontology, particularly as it relates to responding to extinction-level events.

as for history…. i’ll play devil’s advocate. history is just a narrative written by the victors of past conflicts. various threads of history are rewritten, omitted, erased, or even outright fabricated. in 200 years, our surviving post-apocalypse descendants will read about how donald trump crossed the potomac on january 6, 2021, to enslave the jews at the behest of russia. nobody will know the truth, and most won’t even care. there are people in 2024 who are willing to believe all sorts of nonsense if it suits their personal agenda. so why bother learning history? seems like writing history is a better investment.

Fair enough. I'd counter by saying that history has archives. Archives is a way to almost always know the truth as soon as classified documents are declassified. That's the source material of many historical university thesis. So it may be written by the victors but there is a way to know the truth for those who are willing to take the extra step.

Bro, Crocs and gators are amateurs. The true alpha is this guy -

"Horseshoe crabs are ancient creatures that first appeared at least 480 million years ago during the Ordovician Period and don't appear to have changed much since."

I impaled my foot on one before, the little bastards are no joke.

Their blood is harvested for medical research in the most barbaric ways, with massive numbers of discarded bodies left on the beaches to rot.

Fascinating creatures though, like many other ocean dwellers. If you want your mind blown look into the mimic octopus (octopodes being pretty close to aliens and on point with any GSP discussion, since they do not share ancestral DNA with other species). They literally have genetic memory that lets them physically morph to emulate the form of predators that aren't native to the regions they live in, to scare away animals that might prey on them.

-99s

Fair enough. I'd counter by saying that history has archives. Archives is a way to almost always know the truth as soon as classified documents are declassified. That's the source material of many historical university thesis. So it may be written by the victors but there is a way to know the truth for those who are willing to take the extra step.
history teaches us that archives can be burned, dissenters can be executed, and brainwashed idiots will refuse to believe incontrovertible evidence if it undermines their basic assumptions.

what’s this thread about again? gsp likes disosaurs or something?

history teaches us that archives can be burned, dissenters can be executed, and brainwashed idiots will refuse to believe incontrovertible evidence if it undermines their basic assumptions.

what’s this thread about again? gsp likes disosaurs or something?

Was it ? Lol

You said it shouldn't be funded - that's not the same as saying you're not interested in it, and now you're backtracking - so who's bothered, again?

Back