GSP. A Potential Knockout Artist?

GSP has power, he just lacked the timing of other strikers, and he wasn't the greatest at pressuring people and creating the openings required to land power shots. Plus, his level of competition was very high.

That said, he still dropped Alves and Shields and broke Koscheck's orbital.

I think you are quiet wrong with that.

He had great timing.

93041779.gif

74950832.gif

rOHAv.gif

iwcYHtwB4e76T.gif

GSP has the power to knock a fool out, but he doesn't really have the technique to do it. Nor will he engage in a brawl to achieve that goal, because his own chin ain't the best... = Fight IQ.

I think you are quiet wrong with that.

He had great timing.

I see where you're coming from, but specifically I'm referring to timing of catching people with big shots and hurting them. There's a natural fluidity to the way someone like Dos Santos, Liddell, Penn, Diaz, Anderson Silva, etc strike. GSP was more rigid and perhaps overly cerebral with his striking. Still very effective, but not quite dialed in like some of his more lethal peers. To me, it always seemed like if he made little adjustments to his striking he would have put more people away at the end of his illustrious career.

I see where you're coming from, but specifically I'm referring to timing of catching people with big shots and hurting them. There's a natural fluidity to the way someone like Dos Santos, Liddell, Penn, Diaz, Anderson Silva, etc strike. GSP was more rigid and perhaps overly cerebral with his striking. Still very effective, but not quite dialed in like some of his more lethal peers. To me, it always seemed like if he made little adjustments to his striking he would have put more people away at the end of his illustrious career.

He was always quite cerebral, moreso after the Serra loss.

Interesting note, he developed a wicked jab eventually and a lot of pure wrestlers have taken note since. It's a brutal combination of skills.

I see where you're coming from, but specifically I'm referring to timing of when to catch people and hurt them. There's a natural fluidity to the way someone like Dos Santos, Liddell, Penn, Diaz, Anderson Silva, etc strike. GSP was more rigid and perhaps overly cerebral with his striking. Still very effective, but not quite dialed in like some of his more lethal peers.

GSP was more methodical in his approach than those fighters but he absolutely had the timing and countered plenty of fighters. I think he's actually underrated in this regard. He probably was overly methodical and that will lower his chances of getting KO's. He was never a big power puncher though even before the first Serra fight.

Of course he could have become a brawler and have a few more KO's to his resume, but then he would'nt have become as rich and famous as he is now. And after all, it takes much more skill to strategically beat your opponents than just swing powerful punches at them, but it doesnt mean you cant strategically KO your opponents.
He had a different approach, he said in his book that when he became the champion, its his opponent (contender) that has to chase him to beat him. I think he was referring that he doesnt have to take a risk to beat his opponents because his opponent wants what he has, not the other way around.

He has a really solid right hand, he floored a few guys with it in his career. Power punches to to hunt for the KO and that can work against them. GSP is far too smart to just head hunt someone

Yep. After he fought shields and was out injured all we heard about was how condit, Diaz and Hendricks would walk through his punches and finish him like Serra.

Then, Carlos advanced on him and ate GSP's opening salvo. You could literally see the "That's not right.." Look cross over his face as he realised the GSP is pillow fisted meme was pretty much all hot air.

I'm certain he could've got more finishes if he didn't fight safe

Did you see the way he finished Sherk? He was nasty. I think he has the potential but he's just not got that mind set anymore. I think he was more of a competitor than a balls to the wall crowd pleaser

GSP was known more as a striker than anything else up until Matt Serra. After that he became a very cautious fighter who didn't take any chances.

GSP doesn't have big power like guys like Hardy or Koscheck.

GSP and his coaching staff developed a specific style that worked for him and made him the rich and successful man that he is today. Could they have done things differently and still attained the heights he reached, or better? Sure. But they could have done worse.

They came up with a winning formula. It wasn't the most fan friendly style. But it worked.

GSP seems like he should have one punch KO power cause his takedowns are explosive and he can move quick but for whatever reason he doesn't have KO power, even when he was younger and went for the finish more he never got a KO, only TKOs. I think there is something about the structure of his upper body that makes him not hit as hard cause he's got the legs of someone that should hit hard.

You are right. He isn't a roider, the HW GOAT or a criminal.

He does have some of the side effects of HGH, like the gut and the elbow growth. Lombard and Anderson only recently tested positive and it seems the testing has gotten more stringent after GSP retired.

Back