Television GREEN LANTERN TV Series (Being Redeveloped, Now Focusing on John Stewart, post #50)

I am completely unfamiliar with this actor
I suggest reading Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis run on JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL for the best (and funniest) Guy Gardner stories. Plus that book is my all-time favorite Justice League series ever.

D2nsyysX0AA4oYq.jpg:large

I suggest reading Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis run on JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL for the best (and funniest) Guy Gardner stories. Plus that book is my all-time favorite Justice League series ever.

D2nsyysX0AA4oYq.jpg:large
Oh I know ol super douche Guy, I mean I am unfamiliar with the person they have playing him.

a red dyed bowl cut will change your mind
I was interested on what the haircut is actually called. Good to knew, I'll use that when I want to insult someone to the fullest extent. Not even Liefeld anatomy is as ridiculous as that haircut. Red dyed bowl cut. In my long term memory it goes.

Update: May 19, 2021

Treadstone Actor Jeremy Irvine to Play Gay Hero Alan Scott in HBO Max's GREEN LANTERN

zBmKyMt.jpg

HBO Max’s Green Lantern has zeroed in on an actor to play Alan Scott, with Jeremy Irvine, who led the Bourne TV spinoff Treadstone, in talks for the role of the comic book hero.

Scott is one of the higher-profile gay characters in the DC Universe, although that is only a relatively recent development. He was created in 1940 with his ring being magical in nature. When Green Lantern was re-developed in the 1960s, it was against a sci-fi backdrop and the hero, Hal Jordan, was a test pilot in the Atomic Age. Eventually, Scott was re-introduced as a Lantern from a parallel Earth and in the 2000s. With the flourishing of the multiverse concept, he was reconceived as gay, leading a more inclusive movement at the publisher.

Irvine made his feature debut in 2011 starring in Steven Spielberg’s adaptation of War Horse. The English actor played a young Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again and appeared in dramas The Professor and the Madman and The Last Full Measure. Most recently, Irvine starred in the Jason Bourne-inspired spy series, Treadstone.

The HBO Max series stars Finn Wittrock as Guy Gardner, one of the many Green Lanterns expected to appear in the big-budget series from executive producer Greg Berlanti and Warner Bros. TV. Berlanti, Seth Grahame-Smith and Marc Guggenheim are writing the series, with the Grahame-Smith set as showrunner.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/green-lantern-jeremy-irvine-alan-scott-1234956195/

I've never been much of a Green Lantern fan aside from that great era when he was teamed up with the Green Arrow & Neal Adams did the art back in the early '70s. Who can forget when they walked in on the Green Arrow's sidekick Speedy shooting up heroin?

I know the creators aren't going that route with this series but I'll still watch it. Especially since it's on HBO Max. That means that it won't be kid's stuff like all the shows on the CW. I watched a few years ago, but when they expanded to four or five different shows per week, I stopped watching as I can't devote that many hours to episodic television each week. But this show is definitely one I'll try out.

Update: May 19, 2021

Treadstone Actor Jeremy Irvine to Play Gay Hero Alan Scott in HBO Max's GREEN LANTERN

zBmKyMt.jpg

HBO Max’s Green Lantern has zeroed in on an actor to play Alan Scott, with Jeremy Irvine, who led the Bourne TV spinoff Treadstone, in talks for the role of the comic book hero.

Scott is one of the higher-profile gay characters in the DC Universe, although that is only a relatively recent development. He was created in 1940 with his ring being magical in nature. When Green Lantern was re-developed in the 1960s, it was against a sci-fi backdrop and the hero, Hal Jordan, was a test pilot in the Atomic Age. Eventually, Scott was re-introduced as a Lantern from a parallel Earth and in the 2000s. With the flourishing of the multiverse concept, he was reconceived as gay, leading a more inclusive movement at the publisher.

Irvine made his feature debut in 2011 starring in Steven Spielberg’s adaptation of War Horse. The English actor played a young Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again and appeared in dramas The Professor and the Madman and The Last Full Measure. Most recently, Irvine starred in the Jason Bourne-inspired spy series, Treadstone.

The HBO Max series stars Finn Wittrock as Guy Gardner, one of the many Green Lanterns expected to appear in the big-budget series from executive producer Greg Berlanti and Warner Bros. TV. Berlanti, Seth Grahame-Smith and Marc Guggenheim are writing the series, with the Grahame-Smith set as showrunner.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/green-lantern-jeremy-irvine-alan-scott-1234956195/

So the Gay One.....

Update: October 26, 2022

GREEN LANTERN TV Series Being Redeveloped, Will Now Focus on John Stewart Instead of Guy Gardner and Alan Scott

Green-Lantern-John-Stewart-Green-Lantern.jpg

BO Max’s long-gestating Green Lantern TV series is changing gears. The drama that has been in the works since late 2019 will now focus on John Stewart, one of DC’s first Black superheroes.

The series, from exec producer Greg Berlanti, was to originally have revolved around Guy Gardner and Alan Scott and had already cast Finn Wittrock (Ratched) and Jeremy Irvine (Treadstone) as the respective Green Lanterns. As part of the creative overhaul, writer and showrunner Seth Grahame-Smith has departed the series after completing scripts for a full season of eight episodes.

Sources say Grahame-Smith, who signed on as writer and showrunner a year after Green Lantern was announced, chose to leave the project after weathering a number of regime changes at HBO Max, its parent company, producers Warner Bros. Television and now DC Comics.

The decision to refocus Green Lantern arrives at a pivotal time for DC. Sources say the character of John Stewart was off the table to producers who envisioned the show as focusing on the first Green Lantern, the openly gay Alan Scott, and Guy Gardner as well as a “multitude of other Lanterns — from comic book favorites to never-before-seen heroes.” With DC Comics topper Walter Hamada’s recent exit, a decision was made to start over and build the show around John Stewart, the character who first appeared in the early 1970s and was modeled after Sidney Poitier.

It’s worth noting that the Green Lantern creative overhaul has nothing to do with news this week that James Gunn and Peter Safran have been tapped to lead film, TV and animation at DC Studios in a role similar to what Kevin Feige is doing at Marvel. (Gunn and Safran don’t start their new jobs until Nov. 1.)

Of the previous incarnation, only Berlanti and his Warner Bros. TV-based Berlanti Productions remain attached to Green Lantern. (Fellow exec producer Marc Guggenheim, who originally was poised to co-write the pilot alongside Grahame-Smith, was not recently involved with the show ahead of its retooling.)

When HBO Max announced plans for Green Lantern in October 2019, Berlanti described it as the “biggest DC show ever made,” with plans for the series to go to space. Insiders at the time said it was poised to be the most expensive show DC ever made and easily the largest for HBO Max with a budget estimated in the $120 million range. (House of the Dragon, by comparison, cost less than $200 million.)

The show’s budget going forward is expected to be significantly less as HBO Max, under David Zaslav’s combined Warner Bros. Discovery, is focusing on right-sizing its various assets.

As for Wittrock and Irvine, neither remains signed on to Green Lantern. Sources indicate that Berlanti Productions is eager to work with both actors when and if the project, which currently has a script-to-series commitment, moves forward. In spring 2021, when Wittrock and Irvine were cast, the show was still being fast-tracked and was to begin shooting that same year. The project is now on a slower, more HBO-like, development track under Bloys and Warner Bros. TV topper Channing Dungey. A new logline for the series has not yet been determined as the project is back to being in early development.

The HBO Max take is Berlanti’s second stab at the world of Green Lantern. He previously penned the screenplay (alongside Michael Green, Guggenheim and Michael Goldenberg) for the 2011 DC-produced Ryan Reynolds starrer. That movie was met with negative reviews and was considered a flop. It grossed $219 million vs. a budget of $200 million.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...antern-series-hbo-max-redeveloped-1235248929/

I more expected this to be axed as I saw the are looking at axing more projects and potentially write off more things already in production.

I like this. Was never a Guy Gardner fan, but I would be interested in some AlanScott stories, too.

Back