Greek Prime Minister resigns, calls for elections

JadeOwl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Well, that didn't take long.

Tsipras resigns, paving way for snap Greek election

Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras resigned on Thursday, hoping to strengthen his hold on power in snap elections after seven months in office in which he fought Greece's creditors for a better bailout deal but had to cave in.

Tsipras submitted his resignation to President Prokopis Pavlopoulos and asked for the earliest possible election date.

Government officials said the aim was to hold the election on Sept. 20, with Tsipras seeking to quell a rebellion in his leftist Syriza party and seal public support for the bailout program, Greece's third since 2010, that he negotiated.

"I will go the president of the republic shortly to submit my resignation, as well as the resignation of my government," Tsipras said in a televised address shortly before he met Pavlopoulos.

Faced with a near collapse of the Greek financial system which threatened the country's future in the euro, Tsipras was forced to accept the creditors' demands for yet more austerity and economic reform - the very policies he had promised to scrap when he was elected in January.

The article goes on to say that he is hoping to unload the rebels in his party and get re-elected while he still has some popularity, before the worse of the new austerity measures sink in.

Do you guys think it will work or will it blow up in his face like everything he does?

He is teaching the world how to dance.

zorba-o.gif

Back