Greatest yr in boxing?? According to this guy..

From the perspective a boxing fan I thought that 2008 wasn't going to be able to live up to 2007. I was completely wrong. We're only a handful of months into the year and the match ups have been great. But even better, the fights produced by those match ups have been great too.

And it just gets better. Cotto and Margarito gave some dominant performances less than a week ago and now a match up between them has been set for mid summer.

Everyone's stepping up to the challenge. Old vets giving inspiring performances (Campbell), young underdogs exploiting their opportunity (Vera), top guys going in for the kill to show their dominance (Haye), warriors spilling it all out for the fans (Marquez-Vasquez.... Casamayor-Katsidis).
Cruiserweight division giving good match ups (Haye-Mac, Froch - Inkin, Adamek-Bell)

Great match ups and fights in the bag, great match ups and possibly great fights on the horizon. 2008 beats 2007.... the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. And I thought 2007 was great.

That guy who wrote that article sucks. He puts Bhop/Calzaghe on such a pedestal and bashes MMA. Can't these guys learn already? Maybe he can write on how exciting Bhop's last fight was. Not to mention Bhop thanking the UFC for boxing stepping up their game.

You've got a good point, Turban.

I complain alot about it, but I don't dislike mma. Sherdog soured me alot over the years.
I am very thankful that mma in general and its increasing popularity gave boxing a kick in the butt to start giving us real fights.
I remember waiting through certain dry months just for a 1 1/2 to 2 month spat where there might be an exciting match up. And alot of times those match ups were complete busts.

we won't have the "greatest year" until the hw division is restored to its former glory.

we won't have the "greatest year" until the hw division is restored to its former glory.

sadly, this is true. Casual sports fans still don't think there's talent and excitement under 200 lbs unless they're all totally tough badasses w/ tats and affliction shirts............:rolleyes:

"Do not waste your time on watching two MMA guys rolling around on the floor together. Be sure to order Calzaghe vs. Hopkins, invite your friends over, sit back, relax and get your popcorn ready, because this is going to be a war."

http://www.unlvrebelyell.com/article.php?ID=11939

really just a technicality, but the rest of that quote makes him seem like a complete asshole so im not letting him get away with it.

Welll, this guy Sharief Ali contradicts himself too.
"Calzaghe vs. Hopkins promises to be purely scientific"
"Both Calzaghe and Hopkins are experts at the sweet science of boxing...If anyone is a fan of pure boxing, this is a fight that cannot be missed."
"Be sure to order Calzaghe vs. Hopkins, invite your friends over, sit back, relax and get your popcorn ready, because this is going to be a war."

Is it going to be a war or a chess match?

It's exactly the kind of fight that many loyal MMA-only fans would say is boring.
Well, Sharief Ali loves boxing apparently, so then I think Sharief's okay, better than nothing...

I will be very surprised if the Calzaghe-Bhop fight is a war. It could very well be a chess match, and not very compelling in the fistic sense. But because of the significance of the bout, it brings enough drama to have me watching intently. I'm not expecting much, tho. And I can very easily see it going the full 12. In fact, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't go the route.

sadly, this is true. Casual sports fans still don't think there's talent and excitement under 200 lbs unless they're all totally tough badasses w/ tats and affliction shirts............:rolleyes:

are you talking about kelly pavlik and margarito?

I will be very surprised if the Calzaghe-Bhop fight is a war. It could very well be a chess match, and not very compelling in the fistic sense. But because of the significance of the bout, it brings enough drama to have me watching intently. I'm not expecting much, tho. And I can very easily see it going the full 12. In fact, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't go the route.

thats the thing. drama, two fighters with a good story, can be just as exciting if not more so, then a slugfest or a brutal KO. can hopkins overcome the odds once more? how will joe perform in his first fight in the states? can he dominate hopkins or will b-hop find a way to neutralize his in your face style? will he try to overwhelm b-hop or play it safe? will bernard lose to a "whiteboy". those are the questions we are asking ourselves.

I hope Calsaggy gets his frau hawk starighned by the late great Bernard Hopkins.
With Saggy's workrate B-Hop can't sick back and pick shots. He's gonna have to fight, and when he does Calsaggy will be sent back to wales to drink away his woes with macaranelli.
2 italians who reside in wales

Back