Greatest Half Guard Thread Ever

Nobody has posted in here in a long time.

Here's my first round match at Master/Senior World's in the absolute division. Still playing that half guard. I made it to the semi-finals, but lost to another super heavy guy by an advantage.

Light feather (141.5) v.s. Super Heavy (222):

I see that naughty grip there buddy lol.. Good job though. well played

Good idea, guardpasser. Thanks.

I've got some ideas I wanted to flesh out. They're mostly speculation right now, since I haven't really put them into action yet. But I want to write them out so I can commit them to paper (as it were) and make myself think about them. We'll see how they pan out and how they change as they're put to the test.

My problem with the half guard where you fight for the underhook and move to the back is that I really, really hate being crushed and I really, really, really hate being crossfaced. And I've never been able to play it without getting crushed and crossfaced, even if I succeed. That's why I've developed a half butterfly game and switch to butterfly and x-guard so much -- I want to get them the hell off me.

Aside from pet peeves, I've also simply had a hard time with the two most important aspects: getting the underhook and turning on my side. My arms tend get trapped and stuck in bad spots. Without the underhook, I'm stuck on my back. Again, the half butterfly game remedies this since I can play it flat with an overhook.

But still, it's nagged me. I see other small guys play this half guard extremely well. It's a highly technical game, so I must be missing that proper technique, or at least not have it ingrained properly.

If I'm ever to get into this game, I'll need to address my two main concerns, being crushed flat and crossfaced. Solving this, the underhook should come more easily along with the rest of the game. I think I need to look earlier and see why I'm ending up in bad posture and position.

Whenever someone asks me how to get out of terrible positions or nearly finished submissions, I tell them it's like a boxer asking how to undo the last punch that hit him. You're too late and you're either in for a tough battle or you're done. I'm applying that same attitude to my half guard positioning. The real solution is awareness, avoidance and fixing problems before they're really problems.

I have the bad habit of not fighting for the underhook before they've settled their weight. By that point, they're fighting for superior grips and underhooks of their own. Getting a good half butterfly only made this worse since then I really didn't care if I had the underhook. I've got to break this habit and force myself to be more aggressive.

There are a couple tools that'll likely help me have more time to setup a proper half guard:

- Getting my knee against there hip to maintain space. Saulo teaches this in his first set, and it's part of the z-guard Leo Kirby does.
- Framing posture, with a forearm across their neck and the other hand on the biceps (paw grip). This keeps their weight off and blocks the crossface.
- Double paw, for when I really don't want to get crossfaced.

Using these together puts them in a sort of "long range" half guard. This position gives me time to turn on my side while staying safe before diving in deep for the underhook.

I have more thoughts on what to do once I'm diving deep, but I'll save those for later. I need to start getting there in the first place.

Just read and understood / have felt every word of this in my journey into half gaurd. Great post.

I haven't had much trouble with the reverse scarf hold passes since I worked on Stephan Kesting's counters from his latest DVD. I actually learned it first from Mike Sweeney, a brown belt in Canada who shot some footage, but Stephan shows nearly the same thing. I think Saulo shows something like it too.

What's important is not letting your arms get trapped or pinned. Keeping the underhook at this point usually puts you in a kimura. Instead, get your arms into a tight "boxing" posture (elbows in, hands by face) and use your elbows in his back/ribs to force him down towards your hips. Don't let him slide up towards your head and kill your arms.

From there you can reach down and grab his outside ankle. Your other hands grabs his belt, keeping your elbow against his back. Quickly put in your butterfly hook, then lift him (with the hook, by the belt and by the ankle) and switch your hips under him and take out your bottom leg. You can take the back from here but most people turn to face you too fast and you end up with half guard on the other leg instead.

That's the one I use. There's another version that Trog uses a lot. Get your arms in the same position (elbows jammed into his back). Turn towards his hips and get up on your elbow. Keeping your other elbow in his back, grab his belt. The moment he frees his leg to pass, switch your hips hard and throw him on his face by yanking his belt. At the same time, scoot your hips out and pull your bottom knee through. Again, you may be able to take his back but usually they turn and you end up in full or half guard.

Which kesting dvd is this, dynamic half guard, or something else? I have the half gaurd one but not sure what part this is.

Back