Greatest chemistry?

Joker Jiujitsu

Free toy in my Happy Meal
@Brown
Reaction score
What wrestlers seemed to have the greatest chemistry together in the ring? I don't necessarily mean for just one match, but that they always seemed to be on the same page, able to perform a little better with a specific opponent, and seemed to just click more.

For me, AJ Styles and Samoa Joe always seem to have amazing matches together. Whether it's their stuff from TNA in 2005-2006 or their recent WWE work, they always do well. I rewatched the Daniels/AJ/Joe matches from the Super X Cup through Joe winning the title, and all three of them really did great things, but Joe and AJ especially seem to shine against each other.

Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko, Rey Mysterio Jr and Psicosis, Kenny Omega and Kazuchika Okada, Stone Cold and The Rock, Flair and Steamboat, HBK and Taker... There are so many where it seems like they have their greatest matches with each other. For teams, E&C vs The Hardys were always amazing and usually better than any matches they had against anyone else.

What are some cases where two wrestlers just have amazing chemistry that neither has with anyone else?

As far as shoot-style goes, Kazushi Sakuraba and Hiromitsu Kanehara had some killer chemistry. For two guys that were good friends in real-life, their fights always came off as vicious, totally legit affairs. And they were always the best match on the card when they were opposite one another. I think the same is true of Sakuraba and Tamura--whenever they were in the ring together, they brought the house down. Not necessarily in the same was Kanehara and Saku, where it seemed like two guys out to destroy each other, but with the technical wizardry, fast pace and awesome exchanges. And their matches never wore out their welcome either. They always finished just at the right time.

I thought Owen Hart and Ken Shamrock had really good chemistry--both were great workers but Owen seemed to be able to bring out a certain intensity in Shamrock where their affairs always seemed very serious and high-stakes, in spite of that comedic element Owen's heel act always brought. Hart was technically gifted enough to present Shamrock with a legit threat and yet always conniving and obnoxious enough to keep people yearning for his destruction.

Bret Hart and Stone Cold had great chemistry together, I don't think there is any denying that. Comparing their Wrestlemania 13 match to their Survivor Series '96 match, they were two totally different matches, yet both of them were all-time classics that stood out and still stand out even in a roster full of talented workers in an era rich with classic material. The first time around, Austin was the ruthless heel who would do whatever it took and Hart was the determined technician, constantly searching for a way to win through the use of his skills and resourcefulness. At Wrestlemania 13, they were, as the narrator said, "two angry young men out to destroy each other." Hart was still a technician and a brilliant strategist, but he was also full of hatred and utterly ruthlessness. Austin was equally ruthless, but as the match revealed, he also had an incredible fighting heart that knew no surrender, even when he was trapped in an inescapable situation. Both times, they worked off of each other and their characters and ring psychology bounced off of one another just perfectly.

HBK and Taker...

My problem with their matches was the way HBK would use power moves, piledriving the Undertaker and even Tombstoning him at one point if memory serves. Two of the best of all-time, no doubt, but I felt like there was something wrong with Michaels doing that sort of stuff to 'Taker. Its like if there was a Spiderman movie where Spiderman suplexed the Juggernaut, just because the actor playing him was capable of pulling it off.

Don't get me wrong, the matches were great in spite of that, but that aspect always bugged me.

HBK angle for first time

I always liked the pairing of Davey Boy Smith and Owen Hart. Some people tend to not think much of their short tag team reign due to each wrestler's individual achievements as singles competitors. I always believed they made a formidable tag team together.
latest

Last edited:
I always liked the pairing of Davey Boy Smith and Owen Hart. Some people tend to not think much of their short tag team reign due to each wrestler's individual achievements as singles competitors. I always believed they made a formidable tag team together.
latest
They were great together when it came to promos and interviews.

I forgot to mention, Gail Kim and Awesome Kong. For that time period, they had the best women's matches in North America. They had decent matches against other women, but nothing lived up to those.

latest
Oh no doubt about that.

I forgot to mention, Gail Kim and Awesome Kong. For that time period, they had the best women's matches in North America. They had decent matches against other women, but nothing lived up to those.

Oh yeah, their matches were INTENSE. Too bad Gail Kim ended up going to WWE in the middle of that feud, essentially.

Stone cold and vince macmahon. Not for their wrestling but their fued storylines were epic.

Last edited:
HBK and Everybody ( accept Vader lol )
Flair vs Steamboat
Angle vs Benoit
Cena and nobody

Naito and Ibushi. Every time they wrestle I don't understand how they walk out alive, but they're so good with each other they can almost kill each other numerous times and walk out fine.

Ishii and Shibata. They made beating the fuck out of each other look so smooth.

Hiromu Takahashi and Dragon Lee. Like Naito and Ibushi, they damn near murder each other every time (although they did have one slip up with the crazy spot that broke Hiromu's neck, they came back a year and a half later and tore the house down again).

A more recent match up that has crazy good chemistry is Ishii and Shingo Takagi. They wrestled twice in the last year, both times were amazing. These guys are going to have a crazy series of matches over the next few years.

HBK and Everybody ( accept Vader lol )
Flair vs Steamboat
Angle vs Benoit
Cena and nobody

Came in here to say Angle and Benoit...

I was also enjoyed any time Christopher Daniels and AJ Styles were in the ring together, though I was pretty young at the time, so they might not have been as good as I remember.

Back