Great offense, poor defense

Back when Marius Zaromskis was aggressive and hungry a few years back, I'd say this was exactly him. Come stormin' out at you like a hurricane, and It'd be a bad time to let him hit you with anything solid, but he lacked defense, and with a suspect chin as well that isn't a good combination.

Fedor and JDS?

Are you basing JDS's entire career on the 2nd and 3rd Cain fights, he's not easy to hit. Maybe I could see Fedor in strikeforce but in his prime he had one of the lowest opponent strikes landed percentages in MMA.

Fedor was the least hit top 10 fighter in his era. That includes Anderson, GSP, and Lyoto for reference.

But sure, he got cut against Rogers. His defense is awful. Just like the other three guys I referenced who have all actually been knocked out while facing towards an opponent.

This. Fedor had poor defense, but he got hit the least and this is compared to guys like Anderson/GSP/Machida?

And when he fought Rogers, he was already passed his peak imo. Just passed it.

yeah, those kinds of minutes are on the poor side. it's not that good of a stat, but, imo, Lyoto having lesser offense and not being a big puncher makes his numbers the most impressive. Fedor's offense was overwhelming to many. Many of his opponents took a beating without throwing much back. There wasn't much evading or blocking going on in those 10 fights I listed, but there was against Cro Cop, while Machida does that against pretty much everyone.

Machida doesn't fight the way Fedor did vs Crocop against anyone though, well perhaps Shogun the second time when he knew he needed to push forward and that didn't end well.

yeah, those kinds of minutes are on the poor side. it's not that good of a stat, but, imo, Lyoto having lesser offense and not being a big puncher makes his numbers the most impressive. Fedor's offense was overwhelming to many. Many of his opponents took a beating without throwing much back. There wasn't much evading or blocking going on in those 10 fights I listed, but there was against Cro Cop, while Machida does that against pretty much everyone.

Machida doesn't fight the way Fedor did vs Crocop against anyone though, well perhaps Shogun the second time when he knew he needed to push forward and that didn't end well.

Lyoto fights with a whole different style that relies on evasive footwork and recently more feints. He doesn't have upper body/head movement nor does he duck & roll to counter, he just doesn't box. He doesn't check kicks neither, basically moves & blocks kicks with his hands.

But I do agree with what you meant, that showing those capabilities against the best striker means more than showing it against lesser strikers. Lyoto's shown it against a larger pool of opponents, as he's a defensive fighter without a big punch to rely on, which Fedor had in spades.

I disagree, I find it more impressive that a guy who can be wild at times and exchanges far more got hit less with big shots than a guy that rarely exchanges and tends to have a low work rate.

Lyoto fights with a whole different style that relies on evasive footwork and recently more feints. He doesn't have upper body/head movement nor does he duck & roll to counter, he just doesn't box. He doesn't check kicks neither, basically moves & blocks kicks with his hands.

But I do agree with what you meant, that showing those capabilities against the best striker means more than showing it against lesser strikers. Lyoto's shown it against a larger pool of opponents, as he's a defensive fighter without a big punch to rely on, which Fedor had in spades.

I wouldn't say that, Lyoto's straight counter has put away some world class opponents and I think the threat of it is a big part of what makes his style work.

As you say its a very different kind of defence, controlling distance vs head/body movement.

I was actually watching Fedor/Nog 3 again yesterday and the first 10 mins of that especially are a great display of showing great defence whilst still carrying a lot of threat. That was the same Nog who had just pretty much equalled Sergei standing and he landed barely anything on Fedor who was dancing around like Anderson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back