Great MMA Submissions Compilation by Towerflusher

Fedorzilla

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just thought this was worthy of being moved in here for grapplers to see.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/percentages-submission-types-ending-fights-ufc-1406937/

Never had heard of a "bulldog" choke before this.

Starting from UFC 28, which is roughly ten years, there have been 300 submission victories in the UFC. I broke down the types of submissions that finished fights using sherdog's UFC event database. Each number following the submission type is the number of fights that were ended by that particular submission out of the 300 total submission victories.

Rear Naked Choke
95 (31.7%)

Guillotine Choke
56 (18.7%)

Armbar
46 (15.3%)

Triangle Choke
32 (10.7%)

Kimura
14 (4.7%)

Arm Triangle Choke
14 (4.7%)

Anaconda Choke
8 (2.7%)

Triangle Armbar
6 (2%)

Achilles Lock
5 (1.7%)

Straight Armbar
4 (1.3%)

Heel Hook
4 (1.3%)

D'arce/Brabo Choke
3 (1%)

Neck Crank
2 (.7%)

Bulldog Choke
2 (.7%)

Kneebar
2 (.7%)

Inside Shoulder Lock, Toe Hold, Body Lock, North South Choke, Peruvian Knecktie, Reverse Armbar, and Keylock
All have 1 (.3%)

Only 2 kneebars?

Mir/Lesnar

Shamrock/Horn (oops, UFC 17)

Those are the only two I can think of, is that really it? I can remember lots of attempted kneebars but I would have thought there would have been more than two finishes.

Last edited:
Only 2 kneebars?

Mir/Lesnar

Shamrock/Horn (oops, UFC 17)

Those are the only two I can think of, is that really it? I can remember lots of attempted kneebars but I would have thought there would have been more than two finishes.

Lytle vs Foster - Beautiful rolling kneebar by Lytle

so Kimura means both Kimura and americana right?

Bulldog Choke is what Carlos Newton did to Miletich. Think you're old schoolyard head lock, but done properly as a choke. If you catch it at the right time it's all over.

Back