Great Berardi Quote

Graver

Blue Belt
Reaction score
maybe been posted before...but who cares its a good read:

Lesson #8: Have 10% Foods

It's unfortunate that most trainees expect perfection from themselves. Perhaps it's because in athletics we're told stories of certain individuals giving 110%. As the great coach John Wooden says, "You can only give what you have and you only have 100%. No one is an overachiever. We're all underachievers to a different extent. I prefer to judge individuals on how close they come to 100%, knowing that no one can ever achieve perfection... "

If some trainees miss a single meal or eat one food not on their plan (regardless of the circumstances surrounding these less-than-perfect decisions), their failure to achieve that impossible 110% effort sets in motion a psychological chain of events that leads to frustration and the inability to get right back on the plan. It's as if once a single sub-optimal decision is made, the all-or-nothing mentality sets in and BAM, they're back to nothing.

But here's the rub. It doesn't have to be this way. In my 14 years as an athlete, weightlifter and coach, I've come to realize that 100% nutritional discipline is never required for optimal progress. The difference, in results, between 90% adherence to your nutrition program and 100% adherence is negligible.

So allow yourself the extra 10% wiggle room. Do you like frappuccinos at Starbucks? If so, have some during your 10% allotment. (Also, if you're a man and admit to liking frappuccinos, either get off the Clomid or take some TRIBEX immediately!) My favorite 10% food is pizza. Once or twice a week I allow myself to have some.

This 10% wiggle room will allow you the freedom to eat a few extra things not on your menu without the guilt and subsequent psychological crash that usually accompanies such perceived transgressions.

Yeah it's nice to see him elaborate more on the subject. I'm one of those all or nothing idiots =(

Remember, though, that this 10% is for people who are otherwise adhereing strictly to the PN system/seven habits already. So, for many people, eating oats outside the peri-workout window would count among that 10%.

I'm bulking... it's more like 30% foods... life is good... or at least, tasty.

I'm bulking... it's more like 30% foods... life is good... or at least, tasty.

Check your PMs in about 25 seconds or so. I'm going to send you something interesting, and it's not pron.

Remember, though, that this 10% is for people who are otherwise adhereing strictly to the PN system/seven habits already. So, for many people, eating oats outside the peri-workout window would count among that 10%.

Cheating with oats...so sad

Yeah but PN is all about individualization and depending on carb tolerance, starchy carbs outside the PWO window is still PN compliant provided it fits in to the rest of the rules.

That's true, to a certain extent. I just don't want to see people as using this rule to justify eating crap. There's a "middle area" in between PN compliance and total crap, and it should be understood that food in that "middle area" counts as cheats also.

You mean like busting out the Krispy Kremes for 10% meals? I hear ya man. As far as Im concerned, a 10% meal should be relatively clean, like sushi with white rice, or carbs outside the PWO window. Either way, it allows you to get in that psychological boost, and thats whats important.

That's all I was trying to say. Or even something like a cheeseburger (whole wheat or no bun), something that has SOME redeeming qualities, as opposed to empty carbs, sugars, most dessert foods that people tend to use as cheats.

Back