Grappling with shinguards

thaiboxgrappler

Reaction score
Anyone done it?
My first MMA rules fight is coming up, and I just found out yesterday that I'll probably have to wear shin guards. I don't think I'll mind saving my shins from checking kicks, but I'm afraid it will interfere with my guard, which is the best part of my ground game.
I know I need to start training this way, but has anyone here done this?

I've done it with CSI shin gaurds, not the most comfortable thing, but you can deal with it. I'm supposing your gonna use leather pads with straps, in that case It might shift around a little bit but you'll just have to deal with it. Your a fighter and you only stop fighting when the ref tells you to, so if its slips or something, you keep hitting.

I used to do Pancreas in Japan in 1999-2001 and they used full shin-knee guards while grappling back then. It was a pain, but I am much better at defending foot locks because with them on, everyone tries to get them (because they are easier to get with shin-guards on).

I think my foothold defense improved because I did it. I also think it didn't affect my ground game at all, and actually made some moves (triangle) easier.

Don't sweat it if you have a good guard already. Just watch out for foot locks and you'll be fine.

thaiboxgrappler said:
Anyone done it?
My first MMA rules fight is coming up, and I just found out yesterday that I'll probably have to wear shin guards. I don't think I'll mind saving my shins from checking kicks, but I'm afraid it will interfere with my guard, which is the best part of my ground game.
I know I need to start training this way, but has anyone here done this?

SIG-1.JPG

I am looking to get a set of these for that main purpose. We are talking about them here.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7554514#post7554514

Well judging by your name, I assume you practice muay thai....so you know how well those damn things stay on when youre simply doing stand up.

Just do like the man says and keep fighting no matter what.

I've fought with shin guards, they make leglocks a little bit trickier to apply but also to escape from and iit can mess with your guard a bit but if they are decent quality you should'nt really notice them. i suggest getting some practice in with them before the comp.

Back