Grappling Tournament Weigh Ins

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do they do weigh-ins the day of the tournament? I am overweight and really weak for my size (200 lbs) and would get murdered by people in my weight class. I don't plan on competing for another 6 months or so, and should lose about 20 lbs by then. I would really like to get to the 160-170 range for a tournment.

Yes they do weigh in on the day of the tourney. Good luck getting down to your desired weight. The best thing to do long term, or what i found works for me, Is to cut carbs considerably and drink only water. If i do that i usually drop about 5 lbs. I'm only 155 natural weight tho so its harder for me do drop lbs. good luck !!!!

I have a spare tire and gut. I have cut calories down to around 2000. I have been eating 6x a day, and eating less processed foods. I have cut out fast food, pizza, soda, and ice cream.

I am fairly certain I can drop the lbs if I keep up the BJJ, Judo and Muay Thai.

Depends on the tournament, most will weigh in on the day. But, there are a few that hold weigh-ins the day before, I've weighed in the day before for judo competitions.

I kinda like the way things are done in mundials so that you weigh in as you're called to the mat with your kimono. This prevents people from cutting weight and supports fighting in your natural weight class.

They're normally day-of. If it's a two day tourny (a big one) you might have to weigh-in both days, but they'll give you a few pounds for the second weigh-in.

b0b said:
Do they do weigh-ins the day of the tournament? I am overweight and really weak for my size (200 lbs) and would get murdered by people in my weight class. I don't plan on competing for another 6 months or so, and should lose about 20 lbs by then. I would really like to get to the 160-170 range for a tournment.
Dude, eat and drink less, eat healthy, and go to practice every day - even if you train by yourself on off-days. I was 200 pounds six months ago, and now I'm 154. Most of that weight was lost just through a strictly following my regime and workout schedule.

I'm going to my first tourny with weigh-in's this weekend, I was at 208 and wanted to fight at 194. For about 3 weeks I cut carbs and the weight came off pretty easy. I made sure I was taking vitamins, eating often and getting lots of protein and not cutting back on working out. I havn't loss any muscle that I can tell as my weight lifting seems uneffected.

As of yesterday I'm at my target weight, I felt it was important to hit it in time to start eating a more normal diet again so I can have energy going into the tournament.

It worked for me, but your milage may vary.

Most of the tournaments that take place near me, usually have weigh ins the day of the tournament and at an event hotel the night before.

the only tourney i competed in also had the weigh-ins on the day of the tourney

Back