Grappling/Rolling while sore question.

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm totally new to jiu jitsu, and i love it. I'm in my second week, but i am in pain constantly in ym shoulders, thighs.. I also have a slight case of carpel tunnel. but my question is on my off days, should i rest my muscles, or work them sore. I want to roll, i just want to make sure i'm not asking for a rotater cuff tear, or a muscle tear in general

This type of soreness happened to me at the beginning. This will go away in a couple of months though. I would recommend rest on off days until you're 2-3 months in. Then you can integrate weight training, cardio, or whatever you want to do on off days. It's okay if you go to jiu-jitsu sore, but you don't want to stretch yourself too hard too quickly. When you don't have jiu-jitsu; rest.

just relax and let your body heal, do some real light cardio that envolves the muscles that are not sore.. take your time and relax.. if you dont let it heal it cant rebuild.

Ya recuperation is just as important as hard training, if you want longetivity in this sport.

Try contrasting showers, fish oil or cissus for recovery of the joint areas.

Cantpostnow said:
Try contrasting showers, fish oil or cissus for recovery of the joint areas.

I never understood the logic of contrasting showers or baths. How is it supposed to help your joints and muscles?

He got banned?

Dammit I wanted to read that artical too.

I highly recomend swimming for at least one of your days off

first off make sure you stretch a lot even when you're not training ... swimming and very light weight lifting helps also

Some excellent points from everyone. Your muscles will be sore in the beginning, especially if you're training very frequently and severity of training. Your body will begin to adjust in about 1.5 - 2 months and will not be as sore; pain will also "subside" faster. Until then, I would recommend resting on the off days before incorporating "other" training. Cojofl recommended swimming on your off days. Good advice, getting your body into water as this "softens" the muscles and "loosens" everything up - this worked for me. Same things with your grips; they'll get stronger and become "automatic" after consistent training. Sounds like you have the "bug." Sorry for the long post and I hope this info helps.....

BJJ1995 said:
Some excellent points from everyone. Your muscles will be sore in the beginning, especially if you're training very frequently and severity of training. Your body will begin to adjust in about 1.5 - 2 months and will not be as sore; pain will also "subside" faster. Until then, I would recommend resting on the off days before incorporating "other" training. Cojofl recommended swimming on your off days. Good advice, getting your body into water as this "softens" the muscles and "loosens" everything up - this worked for me. Same things with your grips; they'll get stronger and become "automatic" after consistent training. Sounds like you have the "bug." Sorry for the long post and I hope this info helps.....

the bug? sorry to sound like an ignorant newb. i just love the jiu jitsu part, and the pain wont stop me. i just wanted to see what to do about the soreness. thanks everyone. much appriciated

hah I think he means the bug in a good way. Like you've got "the bug" and want to grapple all the time.

cb9fl said:
hah I think he means the bug in a good way. Like you've got "the bug" and want to grapple all the time.

This is exactly what I meant - nothing negative. When I started 10 years ago, I must've trained 6 days a week for the first nine years, besides entering every competition that was available; took every seminar that came my way. I too had the bug and still love to train.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
I never understood the logic of contrasting showers or baths. How is it supposed to help your joints and muscles?
Maybe it's because hot water increases blood flow to muscles, making toxin removal i.e. lactic acid removal, faster.
Cold showers or baths maybe because the cold water will reduce swelling in joint and muscle tissues. I am not an expert, but my family Dp. recommended alternating hot and cold compresses for my sore shoulder.

BJJ1995 said:
This is exactly what I meant - nothing negative. When I started 10 years ago, I must've trained 6 days a week for the first nine years, besides entering every competition that was available; took every seminar that came my way. I too had the bug and still love to train.

Nice work! What belt are you?

Do anything even close to swimming with sore shoulders, maybe just wade around a bit. If you dont believe me check out how many shoulder reconstructions olympic swimmers end up with.

Dude I love the soreness!!

Am I alone? I train harder to try to keep the soreness

On the night I was awarded my blue belt I was sore as fuck. I had actually thought about not going to class that night because I could barely rotate my arms but I said fuck it and went anyways. Good thing I did because I hadn't rolled that well in months and then just before we sparred my instructor threw me my blue belt. Needless to say I was pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back