Grappling memory

prideaspunch

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Good evening Sherdog,

I started training Judo about 8 months ago recently got my yellow belt.
In two weeks I will be moving back to Africa for probably a year.
Unfortunately, where I will be living there will be no Judo school or any other grappling for that matter.

When I return from Africa I will go straight back to my Judo school as soon as I can, as I have really grown to like it.

Can anybody here tell me (who has grappled) how quickly you lose the techniques if you don't train grappling for an extended time and how easy it is to pick them up again once you return.

I know the question seems a little vague, but i'm sure someone who has been in a similar position will know what i'm talking about.

Last edited:
you really never forget about them, its like riding a bike, having the physical fitness to do them its another thing entirely.

The timing usually takes a 3-4 weeks for me to get back in BJJ. Conditioning plays a role as well but not as much personally.

Getting your wind back is much harder than relearning techniques.

After a solid year of no wrestling, I went into BJJ and after a week or so it was like I never stopped wrestling.

I still remember some of my Muay Thai from three years back. I think that technique can be easily relearned if you previously mastered them. It might be very quick.

Good to hear your responses, your answers seem to be what I was hoping for.

There is no place to train over there? Even if you can't find a Judo school I bet any place that teaches martial arts would be better than nothing.

There is no place to train over there? Even if you can't find a Judo school I bet any place that teaches martial arts would be better than nothing.

I'll be living in the sticks about five hours from the nearest reasonably sized town, so its unlikely I'll find anything.
But maybe there will be someone around who has trained before who I can train and spar with.

it comes back fast. i took a year off and spent a few weeks getting back in the flow. once it comes back you'll feel great again.

but hey maybe you'll get lucky and someone you end up going with or meet there will be into some form of grappling. maybe because i'm in the military it happens to me but i end up running into people all the time in crazy places.

i was in south korea and had to go to a leadership school for a month... well i was mad because i would be out of my unit and off of the mat (i was a combatives instructor at the time). well long story short i met a BJJ blue belt and thanks to him (openning my eyes to just how little i really knew) i found a legit gym and now my grappling game has improved ten fold. so hey there's hope for you.

I'll be living in the sticks about five hours from the nearest reasonably sized town, so its unlikely I'll find anything.
But maybe there will be someone around who has trained before who I can train and spar with.

A good way to retain some things is also teach.

Back