Grappling in Springfield, Missouri?

Slick_36

Bad Man from Borger, Texas
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm about to be moving to Springfield and I'm extremely excited. I've been stuck in a place with nowhere to train after wrestling high school. Grappling has always been my biggest passion, so this a big deal for me. I wrestled over a decade and did any MMA and submission related stuff afterwards that I could including winning a very small tournament. I would have asked for BJJ in Springfield, but I'm interested in learning about anywhere grappling related that it may have to offer.

Springfield Fight Club for MMA/BJJ - Best MMA gym in the area with a few UFC fighters coming out of there (Michael Johnson and Zak Cummins). Also a legit black belt instructor and a lot more colored belts than any other school in the area. I trained there for a while 3-4 years ago and they are a decent group of guys.

Check out Springfield fight club! The environment is awesome! UFC fighters Michael Johnson and Zach Cummings started their pro careers in this gym. We have quite a few former wrestlers that train. The head BJJ coach is a BB under Daniel "Montanha" a Carlos Gracie Jr. Black belt. iL-Wop-O is brown belt instructor there and he posts here often. I will be moving this summer and I am truly sad about leaving this gym. Great place, great people, great instruction, great fighters! Not biased at all!!

Springfield Fight Club for MMA/BJJ - Best MMA gym in the area with a few UFC fighters coming out of there (Michael Johnson and Zak Cummins). Also a legit black belt instructor and a lot more colored belts than any other school in the area. I trained there for a while 3-4 years ago and they are a decent group of guys.

Thanks for the quick response! I am more interested in no gi than anything, but I'm a little confused in that their website says that all BJJ classes are done in a gi, but then all the pictures are shown with no gi.

Sorry, I just looked at their schedule and see my mistake now. It sounds really great. I'm going to be low on finances when I get there, do y'all know if there's anything I can do if I can't quite meet the price? I'm willing to do any kind of work for them that they could need done if it will help, but I would hate to ask and embarrass myself. It's not a bad price at all for that amount of training.

Last edited:
Is anyone going to be at Springfield Fight Club tonight? I just got here yesterday and was hoping to mKe it to the no gi class tonight.

Is anyone going to be at Springfield Fight Club tonight? I just got here yesterday and was hoping to mKe it to the no gi class tonight.

I had a surgery last week so I won't be around for a while. How was the class tonight?!?!? Monday classes are taught by sherdog poster IL Wop-O he is a beast, for an old guy. ;-). Ill be in to watch classes once I can walk with out crutches.

If you're interested in no-gi, Sean Bollinger, 2nd blackbelt Eddie Bravo gave out, has very good classes as a 10th Planet affiliate.

Address:
1927 S Glenstone Ave
Springfield, Missouri 65804

Phone: (417) 881-4226

Did you come in on Monday night? I had to have a substitute coach - I was stuck at home playing nurse to a wife and two sons who were trying their best to pass their flu to me...

If you didn't come on in to MMA grappling tonight at 7. I'll be there. Just look for the "old beast", if Blacjac is to be believed!

Did you come in on Monday night? I had to have a substitute coach - I was stuck at home playing nurse to a wife and two sons who were trying their best to pass their flu to me...

If you didn't come on in to MMA grappling tonight at 7. I'll be there. Just look for the "old beast", if Blacjac is to be believed!

I did, it was great. I got smashed by your brown and purple belt and a couple of the other guys. I've waited years for that, I have so much to learn and I can't wait to dive in. I will work on getting there every day as soon as I figure out the bus system.

Go check out Springfield BJJ while you're there.

If you're interested in no-gi, Sean Bollinger, 2nd blackbelt Eddie Bravo gave out, has very good classes as a 10th Planet affiliate.

Address:
1927 S Glenstone Ave
Springfield, Missouri 65804

Phone: (417) 881-4226

I didn't know Bollinger was in Springfield?

Slick, did you start again yet?

Slick, did you start again yet?

Not yet, I got a rib injury that night I first got here and it's not wanting to heal. There's still a pretty big knot on them, I'm thinking about going to the doctor and getting it checked out if it lasts much longer. The entire time I wrestled, I was never gone more than a day, so this is killing me lol.

Not yet, I got a rib injury that night I first got here and it's not wanting to heal. There's still a pretty big knot on them, I'm thinking about going to the doctor and getting it checked out if it lasts much longer. The entire time I wrestled, I was never gone more than a day, so this is killing me lol.

That sucks, man. I ending up originally stopping in 2010 because of injury and finally got back to it in late 2013. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to take another (definitely way shorter) hiatus in about two months but I'm definitely making it back asap. Between wrestling and bjj I have over twelve years in this shit. It's like the girl I can't let go of lol. I just keep going back for more..

Springfield BJJ is a great place. They are a Caio Terra affiliate.
And, yes, Bollinger has a new spot in Springfield as well. I have trained at and recommend both.

From what I hear, Brian Steubner's school is legit. I think it's Springfield BJJ, but I could be wrong. I've never been there, but I know a lot of people who've spent time there.

If you're okay with a short drive, Strikehold BJJ in Mt Vernon is a great place as well.

Back