Grappling + Body Hair = teh suck

possenti

I knew all the rules-but the rules did not know me
@Black
Reaction score
90% of the time, I train with a gi, and my chest hair is constantly being pulled out from collar grabs and the general abrasion that comes with the game. Hair-wise, I look like Andre Arlovski. A rashguard helps, but it also makes things a lot hotter.

I don't want to shave my chest smooth, but I could use a good trim for a little more comfort. I know - some guys think that altering one's body hair is "totally gay", but I bet those people don't have inch-and-a-half long manly man hair gushing out the top of their t-shirt collars either. My wife first teased me about my idea, but she understands. Here's my question:

Would a regular pair of electric clippers with a #3 attachment like barbers use do the job? I usually have the #3 cut when I get a haircut, and it keeps my hair short enough that it can't be pulled, so I figure it would work for my chest also. I think it leaves hair about 3/8 of an inch. Once a month should keep things maintained pretty well for me. Has anyone ever done this?

Don't tell me to just shave it all off. I don't want to get the prickly thing going, and my wife won't let me do that anyway...

Killa_Cs said:
switch to no gi grappling
Read his first paragraph.

Also a rashguard usually cools things off, maybe get a underarmour or wtvr it's called.

Uh, you said this:
possenti said:
Don't tell me to just shave it all off. I don't want to get the prickly thing going, and my wife won't let me do that anyway...
but...
Dude! Just shave it all off.
I asked my wife, who works in a beauty salon, if she thought a #3 shaver would work for body hair and she said, "I have no idea." and muttered something about "that goddamned Sherdog..." under her breath.
So all I can give you is my experience as a fairly hairy fucker.
I shave it all off (except you know where) including my forearms.
I trim my legs with the kind of trimmer you're talking about but it's only got one setting and I have know idea what it is.I don't trim my legs all the way, just trim down the shrubery a bit.
I don't give a flying fuck if some people think it's gay. In fact, most people don't even notice. The guys I grapple with day in and day out would totally rip on me if they thought I had shaved my chest, ...but not a peep from them. They 've never even noticed.
Usually after shaving it down to nothing I'll let it grow back until it starts getting annoying again (maybe a month or so?) and then shave it again.

Shave that shit!

Keep your manliness and wear it with pride. I'm sure lots of guys fear you for your chest, and I'm sure that's the only reason she's your wife. So keep it, and just wear a rashguard, you'll get used to it.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:
Read his first paragraph.

Also a rashguard usually cools things off, maybe get a underarmour or wtvr it's called.
what paragraph? this one?90% of the time, I train with a gi, and my chest hair is constantly being pulled out from collar grabs and the general abrasion that comes with the game. Hair-wise, I look like Andre Arlovski. A rashguard helps, but it also makes things a lot hotter. reread what i said all he has to do is switch over to nogi grappling and hes fine. he only has the problems when gi grappling. so nogi would fix that

just wax it, if you can stand up to that kind've pain no ones going to question your masculinity, lol. my sister waxed a chunk of my leg hair off while i was sleeping. trust me, its not girly, your wife will probably thank you, lol. shaving will make it all scratchy and gross the next day. another option is just lather on some of that hair remover cream, you can probably get it at the local drug store.

shave it with a buzzer so you dont get ingrowns and dont look like a girly man.

Use like a #2 guard or a #1.. works wonders.

Same problem bro....I shaved my stomach/chest once and the next day it was stubbley and itchy as helllllll. I wanna wax it but I'd need to go to a salon place to get it done and I definetly am not 'manly' enough to have someone wax my chest haha

possenti said:
Read my first paragraph again.
how the fuck it makes it hotter? gear an underarmor long sleeve shirt or shave your shit.

bubble boy your wife is hilarious.

I almost married a hairdresser girl too.

just be sure to give her good massages when she comes home
especially on her legs, she has been standing all day and
you dont want her to get those spider web veins right?

i could stunt double for grape ape, i shave my chest , shoulders,back and arms.
also face and head, i hate hair, and i i would sweat to death if i wore a rash guard under my gi.
a number two is better on the chest if you dont want it to be prickly to your women, but in certain shirts you will have hair poking through the shirt, and it can be seen by others in public

Get one of those warm weather underarmour rashguards that keeps you cool.

My $10 rashguard from Walmart's football section doesn't make me any hotter.

I shave my chest and both armpits and I feel good

Wax it all off or go NO GI. Waxing isnt feminine, thats a bunch of bs. And if any macho guy has soemthing to say about it then get him in an armbar and ask him, whos your daddy?

I agree, though I'm not too hairy it sucks getting a pull here & there. Rash guards make me even more sweaty.

Back