grapplers with no striking

A

alexgncw

as far as mma and street fighting goes who thinks being just a grappler with no actual striking training makes you an incomplete fighter assuming offcourse you are good grappler

i've been doing bjj for little under 2 years now, been wrestling since i was 7 years old so i can take most people down at will but i never did any kind of stand up at all (no particular reason for it just never got into it but i've done well in 3 of the 4 fights i've had so far) so is striking really a necessity to make you a good fighter?

for street fighting, as long as your smart enough to deflect oncoming strikes you should be fine 90% of the time. in mma maybe in small shows you could win the bigger the show the harder the competition which means youll be less likely to win because people will have a good sprawl and defend your takedowns

for street fighting, as long as your smart enough to deflect oncoming strikes you should be fine 90% of the time. in mma maybe in small shows you could win the bigger the show the harder the competition which means youll be less likely to win because people will have a good sprawl and defend your takedowns

For beating up random assholes, you are probably fine.

For serious MMA, it is still possible to win but you are at a big disadvantage.

For real self-defense, you're in trouble if you have no striking experience whatsoever. I always assume self-defense is multiple attackers, possibly with weapons, who are looking to beat you down not fight you. In those situations, it is critical to be able to throw strikes fast and hard so that you can hopefully get out of there ASAP. Strikes are the best option, in my opinion, for situations where you are trying to survive instead of trying to win.

Luckily you can cover at the self-defense aspect of striking fairly easily. If you trained boxing for a few months, you would probably have enough sparring and experience to strike effectively in those situations.

If you want to seriously compete in MMA, you will need a lot more training in striking.

For "street fighting" a good grappler should fair pretty well imo. For MMA I think you sould have at least a little striking skills.

Basically, in a street fight, you should do fine. If you take somebody down, you don't need too much experience in striking to throw those short punches and elbows.

You might as well get some stand up training though. Worst case scenario, you don't use it but you are more confident in yourself.

Streetfights are too unpredicatble and I would NEVER purposefully go to the ground with someone. I have been in a few and the you can't see anything once you are on the ground except for your opponent. Say that you are all set up with your hooks in ready to RNC some dill-hole when all of a sudden his buddy walks around the corner and proceeds to kick you in the back of the head.

The reason I bring up that example is because it happened to me only there were 3 buddies instead of just one. I got taken down and ended up on top. As soon as I got the GnP started, I heard something whizzing by my ears. A second later they found the range and I got hammered a couple of times before I got by to my feet.

Like Balto says, street fights are about hitting first and fast and getting the hell out.

Balto said:
I always assume self-defense is multiple attackers, possibly with weapons, who are looking to beat you down not fight you.
/vanguard pictures Balto surrounded by a group on ninjas in full costume with nunchucks

If things were that bad I think I'd throw my money to the left and run to the right. :)

This thread has taken common sense and beaten it unconscious.

For streetfighting, you better run. You

For street fighting situations i think grappling is fine...

For multiple attackers i think your better off taking track&field vs Stand up... Just run faster the the guys who are trying to jump you.

Divide and conquer

You need striking.

You should ask this same question on a striking forum, and you will probably get different answers.

Watch, you think you're ready for a street fight with just grappling? Wait 'till you fight someone who can throw fast and hard punches and see if you can take hits. You might think grappling is fine but wait until you get hit in the face, it's easy to do submissions/takedowns when no one is elbowing you or hitting you in the face.

Grappling gives you half the abilities, but the other half is definitely striking man.

Not really. Fighting ability isn't broken down into 50% grappling, 50% striking.

It's more like: 75% balls/guts/heart, 20% technical ability that includes your striking/grappling/etc, 5% variables.

Stoic1 said:
Not really. Fighting ability isn't broken down into 50% grappling, 50% striking.

It's more like: 75% balls/guts/heart, 20% technical ability that includes your striking/grappling/etc, 5% variables.

Nonetheless, he still needs to know how to strike to handle more situations versus just being able to grapple.

If it's an either/or situation I will always go with grappling. If it's a bit more realistic of a situation in that you have to have a favorite, or be better in one than the other...again, I go with grappling.

it depends..if you want to be an mma fighter you better get your standup game up to par

if youre just looking to protect yourselves on the street then it shouldn't be a problem

flyingknee16 said:
You need striking.

You should ask this same question on a striking forum, and you will probably get different answers.

Watch, you think you're ready for a street fight with just grappling? Wait 'till you fight someone who can throw fast and hard punches and see if you can take hits. You might think grappling is fine but wait until you get hit in the face, it's easy to do submissions/takedowns when no one is elbowing you or hitting you in the face.

Grappling gives you half the abilities, but the other half is definitely striking man.

Most people cant strike from their back for shit... With judo and BJJ combination i have i dont intend to get to where they can use their strengths.

its not like i dont know hot to punch at all.. Im no cropcop or mike tyson.... Simple street fighting is my only experience other then a couple muay thai classes.

But you can strike all you want while i have you in a triangle and picking spots to split your lips into 4 sections..

helloooooooooo predator

You can punch into submission, arm bar and break, or choke them out. The triangle is a beautiful thing... ive used it in live street fight before.. Worked like a charm

I am only a grappler and I don't know striking at all and yeah, I think it means I an incomplete fighter. I have great respect for effective kickboxing style striking, and boxing to a lesser extenet because of the breaking of hands. I have known some good muy tai people before I would not want to face one in a street fight or an mma fight.

I sort of want to train striking someday, but then again I don't. As much as I woudl like to know how to strike, my aversion to getting hit in the head and face deter me even more. So I am going to stay away and just work on my grappling and running (for running away from groups of people who want to hurt me). A good judo throw from the feet and you don't really need to go to the ground. And the knife I carry should give me the edge I lack from my striking when it comes to guys trying to jump me at night, assuming I am not running as fast as I can in the opposite direction.

I would not even think of competing in sport mma without at least a few months of serious striking training.

I think that when you're missing something in your fighting game, whether it be striking or grappling, then you're an incomplete fighter. This doesn't mean that you won't do good in a street fight or even in a MMA match, but in today's MMA world, you HAVE to be well rounded to go somewhere in MMA, and grappling won't save you in every situation.

Corey123 said:
I think that when you're missing something in your fighting game, whether it be striking or grappling, then you're an incomplete fighter. This doesn't mean that you won't do good in a street fight or even in a MMA match, but in today's MMA world, you HAVE to be well rounded to go somewhere in MMA, and grappling won't save you in every situation.

simple and to the point. Good

Back