Grapplers Quest?

wOg

Burien Top Team
@Brown
Reaction score
Anybody back from Vegas--or know somebody who is? I'd love to hear some takes on the fights.

Personally, I'm thrilled that Cindy Hales, a brown belt at Gracie Barra Mamazinho in Seattle, won the women's lightweight tournament. She beat Gazzy Parman in the finals in OT. It was apparently a controversial fight, though no doubt that Cindy came out on top. Some words were exchanged and the two had to be separated at the end ...

But I've only found one other thread on GQ (the jiujitsugear thread from onthemat). Are there any grappling Sherdoggers with thoughts on the weekend's event?

i was suppose to compete at GQ but got really sick, so im also curious as to what ppl thought about it.

anybody?

That sucks to have missed out. What division were you training for?

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about GQ. Is the event not so big a deal for grapplers? Did I start this thread in the wrong forum?

What do you want to know?

Crowded, overpriced, unorganized, controversial. Pretty much the same as always.

But hey, at least this time they had medals for the competitors!

I went and had fun, my division was supposed to start at 2 pm, it started at like 8-9pm.

I competed also. My division started about 1 hour late, it was a stacked division. Laimon came in and accused some kid of sandbagging, he said the kid was 18 y/o but still competing in the teen division. This happened on the ring I was about to fight on, at first I thought Laimon was joking but someone here pointed out that he wasn't, I didn't get to see the guy fight but I heard one of Laimon's 17 y/o boys submitted the 18 y/o and he ran off with his mom crying saying how he just was too small to fight against the adults.

I lost 3 minutes in to my bout by Americana, I swept him after his first Americana attempt and worked him from his guard, advancing to half guard but he was just too strong, I was way underweight. From there, he swept me again after about a minute and a half in his guard, and went for the Americana again and this time I was just gassed and wasn't quick enough to defend it and got caught. Sucks, but on Dec 3rd in long beach I'll drop a weight class and look to take home a trophy of some kind ;)

The kid that beat him was 14 I believe.

Stoic1 said:
What do you want to know?

Crowded, overpriced, unorganized, controversial. Pretty much the same as always.

But hey, at least this time they had medals for the competitors!

Stoic1, you sound more like Cynic1 :D

Were you competing? I'd like to hear how Sherdoggers who competed did. Or any interesting/surprising matches they saw. There still isn't a review of the event posted anywhere I could find. Maybe GQ is following the UFC's lead with an online media ban (j/k) ...

I was mostly just surprised how long it took (and is still taking) to get results from anything other than the superfights (and even that took until Sunday night to hit the onthemat and jiujitsu gear forums). I was also looking for more eyewitness accounts of the Hales/Parman women's superfight final--which apparently was pretty dramatic.

As the saying goes, "What do I want to know?" Whaddya got?

I took 3rd in Executive Middleweight and 1st in Executive Absolute. Lost my first match of Blue Middleweight.

sherdogger gracieaustin competed in the pro division , but lost to jeff glover

i won no gi beginner cruiserweight, in my hello kitty shorts.

I saw marc calling that kid out also. At first i thought he was joking but then he said he would be watching him and doing the fingers to the eyes then at the kid. My buddy won No gi novice cruiserweight. We are from 1087 gym

Back