grapplers quest

Phillip Greathouse

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Hey anyone got the results from the vegas grapplers quest this weekend. My instructor competed and Im trying to find out how he did, any help will be appreciated

Sorry, I don't know, but I want to find them out.

I competed at the GQ's. I lost by Americana tho, I gassed 3 minutes in to my bout. I weighed in at a measly natural 155, he weighed in at 159 but was atleast a 165lber. Fuck that guy was strong. He took me down quick to side control, i struggled but he mounted me anyways. I swept him but couldn't break his grip from his guard. I sunk in a forearm choke but he kept pushing my leg down when i tried to reach around for my elbow. He swept me again when I went for a kimura. He was just way too big for me and I couldn't pass his guard worth shit. His americana completly tore my shoulder cuz I refused to tap at first, but then I knew I couldn't do shit cuz I was completely gassed. It was his second americana attempt, I swept him out of the first one. I was just compeltely spent second time around.

Nick Diaz won his division. Hes goooooood.

A little Laimon controversy. A little gazzy controversy. Extremely cramped and unorganized. Expensive. Sandbagging.

The usual.

Stoic1 said:
A little Laimon controversy. A little gazzy controversy. Extremely cramped and unorganized. Expensive. Sandbagging.

The usual.

What controversy's? I kept to myself pretty much and was watching the childrens compete (its so much fun to watch them runts go at it!). I agree with the cramped and unorganized tho, when I got in at 9:30, i had to wait in line til 10:30 just for weigh-ins. They should have anticipated a much larger turn out than usual and moved venues.

TheVandalz said:
I competed at the GQ's. I lost by Americana tho, I gassed 3 minutes in to my bout. I weighed in at a measly natural 155, he weighed in at 159 but was atleast a 165lber. Fuck that guy was strong. He took me down quick to side control, i struggled but he mounted me anyways. I swept him but couldn't break his grip from his guard. I sunk in a forearm choke but he kept pushing my leg down when i tried to reach around for my elbow. He swept me again when I went for a kimura. He was just way too big for me and I couldn't pass his guard worth shit. His americana completly tore my shoulder cuz I refused to tap at first, but then I knew I couldn't do shit cuz I was completely gassed. It was his second americana attempt, I swept him out of the first one. I was just compeltely spent second time around.

Let me get this straight, you were trying to choke him and try a kimura while in his guard? I'm confused. :eek:

TheVandalz said:
What controversy's? I kept to myself pretty much and was watching the childrens compete (its so much fun to watch them runts go at it!). I agree with the cramped and unorganized tho, when I got in at 9:30, i had to wait in line til 10:30 just for weigh-ins. They should have anticipated a much larger turn out than usual and moved venues.

Laimon was claiming that one of the teens was actually 18 (I don't have any info either way). He made a big stink of it, and kept coming back and yelling. Was actually pretty amusing. I don't how much of it was him trying to get in the other guy's head. I didn't see the Gazzy incident but heard something about a fight.

They certainly had size problems and are going to need to find a bigger venue. My last match was at 9:30pm. My first match was in the afternoon (different division). One of the biggest problems was the registration bottleneck and the length of time needed to make up the brackets.

I took third in Executive Middleweight and first in Executive Middleweight.

RUBE said:
Hey anyone got the results from the vegas grapplers quest this weekend. My instructor competed and Im trying to find out how he did, any help will be appreciated

Who was he? What division?

TheHighlander said:
Laimon was claiming that one of the teens was actually 18 (I don't have any info either way). He made a big stink of it, and kept coming back and yelling. Was actually pretty amusing. I don't how much of it was him trying to get in the other guy's head. I didn't see the Gazzy incident but heard something about a fight.

What happened was a grown man, an 18 year old entered the teens division. Marc being Marc called him on it and talked mad shit. The guys mom got mouthy and said she would beat up Marc. Marc said he would punch her if she tried.

Keep in mind, this 18 year old as I understand it already beat a teen and hurt his ankle. Hearsay on this part. I did not see it.

But the funniest thing was...even after Marc's scene his 14 year old beat the 18 year old. The 18 year old went down CRYING. His mother was crying. You can be sure Marc was having a wonderfull time at that point.

Gazzy's match was controversial. No points and went into sudden death overtime. The other girl scored a takdown into side control. Gazzy was bloody. Gazzy called the other girl some names. Said she was cheater and hit her with forearms. Either way she lost.

TheHighlander said:

They certainly had size problems and are going to need to find a bigger venue. My last match was at 9:30pm. My first match was in the afternoon (different division). One of the biggest problems was the registration bottleneck and the length of time needed to make up the brackets.

I took third in Executive Middleweight and first in Executive Middleweight.

Oh okay, I swear i thought Laimon was just playing around.. Didn't know he was serious!

Walt Ruckus said:
Let me get this straight, you were trying to choke him and try a kimura while in his guard? I'm confused. :eek:

I couldn't pass his guard at will. The guy was way too strong for me. I attempted the choke because I had been training a way to sink it in from the guard. After he shrugged off my choke attempt (he was gurgling by the way, he was shoving my leg when I was driving forward to get him to submit, I just didn't have enough leverage) I drove my forearm in to his face and stood up, opening his guard. He took 1 of his legs and shifted as if he were about to attempt an armbar from the bottom, but i caught his leg and because of his position I was then in his half-guard, the leg he left on the ground was easy to just step over. The kimura I attempted after he opened his guard and I got 1 leg out. I passed his full guard to half but couldn't get out of his 'guard' altogether. This is where I went for the kimura because he had my leg pretty tight and I had his left arm controlled. Again, let me emphasize, this guy was WAY stronger than I was. I had the kimura locked, but he powered out of it and swept me, and locked his americana from my half guard.

Technically, yes, I passed from full to half, but I jut coudln't do much frmo it cuz he was so strong.

TheVandalz said:
I passed his full guard to half but couldn't get out of his 'guard' altogether. This is where I went for the kimura because he had my leg pretty tight and I had his left arm controlled. Again, let me emphasize, this guy was WAY stronger than I was. I had the kimura locked, but he powered out of it and swept me, and locked his americana from my half guard.

Technically, yes, I passed from full to half, but I jut coudln't do much frmo it cuz he was so strong.

Oh ok. I get it now.

There are indeed lots of ways to attack on top of half guard.

Walt Ruckus said:
Oh ok. I get it now.

There are indeed lots of ways to attack on top of half guard.

Im gonna get stable at 160lbs, then cut to 149lb, my frame is just not cut for the 159lb division yet, I've gotta break 170 to compete with these other guys in this division.

TheVandalz said:

I was at GQ, had a blast. Wish the site were bigger, though.

Hey, did the guy you fought have a tatoo down the middle of his back? Also, have you found results yet?

Wow, Marc Laimon then must be a huge asshole. Who the fuck tells a mother that they will snuff her? What a dick.

That isn't what was said.

He said he would punch her. And that is AFTER she threatened to beat him up. And after she was defending her 18 year old son entering the teen division.

It was good that she cried with her son when he was beaten by a 14 year old boy.

By the way, just being a mother or a female is not carte blanch to say whatever you want, or do whatever you want. Chicks can be assholes too. In fact, if you watch sports today you will see parents all over the nation doing some of the dumbest shit ever trying to live vicariously through their children. And if you threaten to beat a guy up, you better be ready for the consequences. One of them will certainly be getting punched. Hooray for womens lib. They don't get to have it both ways.

Stoic1 said:
What happened was a grown man, an 18 year old entered the teens division. Marc being Marc called him on it and talked mad shit. The guys mom got mouthy and said she would beat up Marc. Marc said he would punch her if she tried.

Keep in mind, this 18 year old as I understand it already beat a teen and hurt his ankle. Hearsay on this part. I did not see it.

But the funniest thing was...even after Marc's scene his 14 year old beat the 18 year old. The 18 year old went down CRYING. His mother was crying. You can be sure Marc was having a wonderfull time at that point.

Gazzy's match was controversial. No points and went into sudden death overtime. The other girl scored a takdown into side control. Gazzy was bloody. Gazzy called the other girl some names. Said she was cheater and hit her with forearms. Either way she lost.

Uh, somebody want to help me out here.... Are we talking about the "teen" division or what? You guys are telling me that an 18 y/o, entered a division that is slated to go up to 19 y/o and down to 13 y/o (unless they have a different definition of "teen" at grapplers quest) and people were complaining about it?

I'm sure there must be some other specific rules that people aren't mentioning, otherwise it should be no big deal that an 18 y/o "man" entered the teen division.

If people want to change the division age rules before the tournie starts then do it then. If 18 y/o still qualifies for teen division then why would he grapple in another division. Especially if he is relatively new to jiu jitsu. I guess he could have competed in the "beginner" division.

but if "teen" truely means "teen" then it's HIS choice.

Stoic1 said:
That isn't what was said.

He said he would punch her. And that is AFTER she threatened to beat him up. And after she was defending her 18 year old son entering the teen division.

It was good that she cried with her son when he was beaten by a 14 year old boy.

By the way, just being a mother or a female is not carte blanch to say whatever you want, or do whatever you want. Chicks can be assholes too. In fact, if you watch sports today you will see parents all over the nation doing some of the dumbest shit ever trying to live vicariously through their children. And if you threaten to beat a guy up, you better be ready for the consequences. One of them will certainly be getting punched. Hooray for womens lib. They don't get to have it both ways.
So he tells a mom that he wiill punch her? I mean come on. He comes out of nowhere with no proof saying that this kid is 18? How the fuck would he know? He checked his magic eightball? Please man, any parent would get pissed if some homo who doesn't even know your son is trying to fuck up his first time in a tournament by calling him a cheater. Then after a harmless women says she'll fuck you up you act threatened? If you're gonna accuse someone you don't know of lying about their age then no shit someone will get pissed. If the kid lost to a 14 year old then it was obvious he wasn't sandbagging or was just really fucking new and wouldn't make a difference.

Being a BJJ blackbelt and threatening to punch a harmless bitch of a mom is a low blow. I'm sure your mom would equally be pissed if some stranger called you a cheater and tried to embarrass you in public. Plus probably ruining a moment for the family.

Marc was acting like a little kid. How old is Marc, 18? Dude was acting immature.

TheVandalz said:
I couldn't pass his guard at will. The guy was way too strong for me. I attempted the choke because I had been training a way to sink it in from the guard. After he shrugged off my choke attempt (he was gurgling by the way, he was shoving my leg when I was driving forward to get him to submit, I just didn't have enough leverage) I drove my forearm in to his face and stood up, opening his guard. He took 1 of his legs and shifted as if he were about to attempt an armbar from the bottom, but i caught his leg and because of his position I was then in his half-guard, the leg he left on the ground was easy to just step over. The kimura I attempted after he opened his guard and I got 1 leg out. I passed his full guard to half but couldn't get out of his 'guard' altogether. This is where I went for the kimura because he had my leg pretty tight and I had his left arm controlled. Again, let me emphasize, this guy was WAY stronger than I was. I had the kimura locked, but he powered out of it and swept me, and locked his americana from my half guard.

You don't "pass" from full guard to half-guard or any other guard. A guard is a guard.

Back