grappler vs. muhammed ali (mma match)

This was obviously a work but i think Inoki would have won provided that he wouldnt be so scared to engage Ali on the feet to try for the takedown.

It's been widely acknowledged that this was a work, and you can tell by the way they are approaching each other.

Everything either of them did was telegraphed before hand.

I fucking love Inoki though. He always brings the lulz.

It's the first time I hear this is a work. It is certainly bizarre enough for it to be.

Every time he throws his butt-scoot-kicks he makes sure he's not in range, or when he is in range he stops short of actually kicking Ali.

Looks about as convincing as pro wrestling to me.

It was supposed to be a work, Inoki promised Ali it would be a work but to reduce the chance of Inoki turning it into a shoot they introduced ridiculous rules like the "inoki can only kick if he has a knee on the floor" rule.

What makes you so sure it was a work mr. expert?

it was a work. they do things like this all the time in pro-wrestling. not 2 years ago Mayweather fought Big Show in WWE.

the problem is in Japan a work isn't always what it seems. Several times when Japanese host a famous american pro-wrestler they would work it out so the american would stay champ on paper, but then the Japanese wrestler would go out there and try to beat him for real... because no matter what agreement they broke, they'd then have the belt!

Kind of looked to me like Inoki really tried to beat Ali. those leg kicks and up kicks were thrown with intention (he buckled Ali with a couple), and the ref broke them up when Inoki got him down in a kneebar position. Ali looked a little pissed after that one.

I also think it's kind of funny that Ali used the leg kicks against the butt scoot. he probably would have been a natural in MMA.

I'm sure someone will step in to give the specific, definitive rules used for the fight..

..But I remember reading about them, and Inoki wasn't allowed to grapple Ali. At all. And no striking if not on the ground. What you saw him do, that's basically all he was allowed to do..

I am fan of Ali but these 70's match ups are bullshit because of america's ignorance in martial arts. The rules were set up for Ali and for boxing in general. They pretty much did not allow any clinching or even a take down. Then what is even the point of match but to falsely glorify Ali and american boxing.

Back