Grapevining opponent's legs when you have guard

Shemhazai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody else do this? If so, when do you do it/what do you use it for?

I can't find much mention of this technique online, but I personally find it to be a good way of preventing my opponent from posturing up, as well as a good setup for getting butterfly guard from full guard.

I think you pretty much nailed its usages man. Probably not much else to say.

stabilises, solidifies points in a match and controls opponent. also not very pleasent for the guy on the bottom, theres no real submissions from the top, but theres very little chance of escaping rom the bottom, so its a good way of showing dominance once youre at the mount.

There is this older guy (65 years old) in my catch class. Tough as nails and has been wrestling since he was 5. He LOVES to grapevine because it is an old wrestling move that really f*ing hurts if done right.
Anyway he does this all the time so I learned a great submissions from the bottom when it happens.
Now I welcome the grapevine because it's tappy time for my opponent.

stabilises, solidifies points in a match and controls opponent. also not very pleasent for the guy on the bottom, theres no real submissions from the top, but theres very little chance of escaping rom the bottom, so its a good way of showing dominance once youre at the mount.

Anytime I feel like suddenly playing rubber guard game, I use the 'vines to break down opponents posture. Sometimes if you stretch your legs very quick, the opponent instinctively puts his hands to the ground for support -> with some hip movement, you got an easy transition to omoplata.

Grapevining from the guard, not the mount.

Back