Gracie Pro Am Coverage

tf

Inside BJJ Podcast
@Blue
Reaction score
I'll be covering the Gracie Pro Am this weekend. I plan on posting pics, videos, and results from the tournament.

Be sure to check the following link for the coverage.

Gracie Pro Am Coverage : Inside BJJ

Anyone got a link for the brackets? I didn't know it was this weekend.

I'm at the tournament today and tomorrow taking my own vids.

The brackets are not posted. I have the results on my site right now.

I'm uploading the vids to the site but they're taking a while. They should be available some time tonight.

I'm uploading some photos as well.

So who won? I can't see who won what on the website except for two matches out of the whole day.

I have to admit, that was the smallest turnout for a tournament I have ever seen. There were only a total of 5 adult blue belts across all divisions, unless I wrong. I think they only ran two divisions (light and heavy). There couldn't have been more than 20 white belts either. I'm not sure how many purples, browns, or blacks there were.

They had six mats set up and most of the time they only had 1 mat going. There were periods of 10-15 minutes when no one was rolling at all.

Hopefully Sunday will draw more competitors.

That's a really unfortunate turn out. That's pretty much the turn out we get at our local tournaments.

Wow, this sounds like a cool tournament, wierd to hear turnout was so low

Honestly what did they expect. They had some weird rules for that tournament. I mean only an advantage for passing half guard, the time limits on how long you can have a sleeve grip.

Like it or not the rules for BJJ gi competitions have pretty much been set and accepted. Any tournament that radically changes the rules and scoring system can expect a very low turnout. The people who complain the most about the IBJFF rules are people who do not compete. So you can change the rules to satisfy their tastes, but they still are not going to step onto the mat.

A pro am circuit is a great idea, but they need to follow the IBJFF points and rules. Minor alterations would be okay, but a major overhaul is just going to drive away competitors.

You can view the black belt matches here

Everyone I talked to said the rules were fine. Honestly, it's too bad the turnout was so small. The setup was very nice.

I will have the results from the remaining brackets sometime today. I'm waiting to get them from the tournament organizers.

I'll be there today for the no-gi division as well. I'll have videos and photos up on the site soon.

I am sure the people who were there thought the rules were okay. The people who had a problem with the rules did not show up, I know I would not have competed.

You can view the black belt matches here

Everyone I talked to said the rules were fine. Honestly, it's too bad the turnout was so small. The setup was very nice.

I will have the results from the remaining brackets sometime today. I'm waiting to get them from the tournament organizers.

I'll be there today for the no-gi division as well. I'll have videos and photos up on the site soon.

Of course the people you talked to at the tournament thought the rules were fine. They are the minority who liked the rules. That's why they went. It's also why the turnout was so small. The majority of people did not like the rules so they didn't even bother going.

The rules are way too whacky to ever draw a decent turnout.

I think they will have a better turn out when they have the tournament near Los Angeles. I don't think too many people wanted to travel to Sacramento.

We have our black belts and a few others competing at this event.

It does look kind of small compared to IBJJF but I think it's important to let the sport evolve. It's small now, but who knows where they will be after a few years?

Not a big contingent from GB or Alliance... Corporate world putting the squeeze on small business...

ya I'm surprised with the small turnout, you'd think the money prize would have brought in more people

We have our black belts and a few others competing at this event.

It does look kind of small compared to IBJJF but I think it's important to let the sport evolve. It's small now, but who knows where they will be after a few years?

Not a big contingent from GB or Alliance... Corporate world putting the squeeze on small business...

I really think it is just a case of bad rules and a bad scoring system causing the low turnout and not a case of GB and Alliance try to kill the tournament. If they would just stick to the IBJFF rules and scoring or maybe just modify them slightly the turnout would be at least respectable.

Personally I would be really surprised if the Gracie Pro Am lasts beyond another tournament or two.

I really think it is just a case of bad rules and a bad scoring system causing the low turnout and not a case of GB and Alliance try to kill the tournament. If they would just stick to the IBJFF rules and scoring or maybe just modify them slightly the turnout would be at least respectable.

Personally I would be really surprised if the Gracie Pro Am lasts beyond another tournament or two.

From my observation, the rules didn't really impact the matches very much. In fact, I didn't see any competitors called for stalling. It may have happened but I didn't see it firsthand. I heard coaches telling their competitors they had to keep moving and to improve position.

I don't think the rules and the turnout are related. If people stayed home because of the rules, they missed a change to compete at a nice tournament.

I am sure the people who were there thought the rules were okay. The people who had a problem with the rules did not show up, I know I would not have competed.

This. I know of several schools, that I won't speak for, that didn't attend because of the rules. Also bad choice of a holiday weekend. That said, last weekend I competed at grappling x in Sacramento. Great turn out (not for bb's though, no one was ready for a super fight). There over 300 competitors. Lots of intermediate and advanced nogi.

But yeah must say that the Gracie circuit rules were pretty absurd and definitely cost them a turn out. I even know people who went to the tahoe open instead of this one because of the rules... Jus sayin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back