1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Gracie Diet

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Ghostdogg, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Ghostdogg Blue Belt

anyone ever try this and what were the results

2. teamcarvalho Green Belt

Man I am waiting for the book to come out.....I want to try it and see if it works.

3. Higher Learning Brown Belt

1. the diet is idiotic and has no basis in medical scince
    2. this question gets asked quite often, search function ftw
    3. DnS sub-forum is a gold mine of genuine nutrition info

4. lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

I tired it and found it a bit to strict and not flexible enough; just ended up eating the same things all the time.
    Main principles to take away from the diet: eat clean; keep it simple; eat till your full but not stuff; eat a diet based heavily in fruits, veggies and plant based starches. Pretty much common sense stuff. Only thing revolutionary for me was that most things only had 4 or 5 ingredients in it and I did a lot of the cooking. I was used to eating processed foods and stuff. Since then, I'm still vegetarian and eat as close to nature as possible. Still make the smoothies cause they are amazing...banana and apple was my favorite.

5. Higher Learning Brown Belt

again, doing some actual reading/research on nutrition woudl really help you much more than following a diet thought up by a person with no medical training

6. lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

agreed. took a nutrition class and they said the whole ph blood thing was b.s.

7. usmctanker242 Red Belt

Never heard of this diet, but I lost a shit ton of weight on the 6 week body makeover from Michael Thurmon. I know it sounds gay, but after I blew out my shoulder, I had put on a bunch of weight. I lost 52 Lbs on this diet, in 3 months, and got back to where I felt good about myself again. I was able to eat 5x a day, lots of chicken, turkey, pork, beef, so it was easy to follow and I never felt like I was bored or eating the same shit constantly.

8. FSUfightfan06 Yellow Belt

I love jiu-jitsu and the gracies but the diet is crap. No it didn't take me 6 years of college and a degree in nutrition to learn this but it didn't hurt reinforcing it.

9. knoxpk Black Belt

Excellent! I am on the facebook diet and have lost 10 pounds in 18 days so far. Still have some to go but its working like a champ.

10. no_itsnotadash** Orange Belt

Gracie Diet is Carlos Gracie Bro-science.

11. An end for Purple Belt

Is it the one where you have to eat lots of watermelons?

12. angrybandnerd Orange Belt

This. I tried the diet and found out it's actually kind of bad for you if trying to lose fat. I tried it, worked out ok, but found out that in all actuality the hard work I was putting in at the gym was giving me the results, not all the fruit and crazy mixtures of stuff. It does, however, seem to help with a great nights sleep and going to the restroom.

13. fourfif** Banned Banned

is it this one?

My Diet | Facebook

14. Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

Isn't it Watermelon juice and they tell you you can't use a Cheesecloth to strain out the pulp and shit but have to use a special "Gracie Strainer Cloth" to strain out the pulp?:redface:

15. knoxpk Black Belt

Actually quite close..lol... I decided to post everything I eat on may facebook page after posting I was starting a diet.

So it is like preventative medicine, I don't have the nerve to get a double whopper at the drive thru knowing I have to post it later.

It's pretty cool all the daily support I get and it keeps me motivated to stick to it.

Really its a combination of approaches, limit or eliminate simple carbs and go to whole grains, introduce more veggies and fruits to the diet, try not to take in calories from beverages unless it is a veggie juice or danactiv or something along those lines and lower calories.

I have done some but not much and certainly not intense training so far, so the weight lost so far has been 95% diet.

16. djb1002** Brown Belt

Never tried it cuz it looks so damn strict and impracticable.

17. Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

Tried the Michael Phelps diet myself, still didn't gain any weight....

18. nefti Silver Belt

let's face it, how many diets from the 50's are still followed? Let alone a diet from country that was never known for it's scientific achievements?

19. Rws177die Yellow Belt

Good point, the diet is defiantly out dated.

20. Red Harvest Orange Belt

Their diet is based on antiquated information. It's principles of not putting shit in your body is good but everybody already knows that. I would not recommend this diet one damn bit. The watermelon juice is delicious though. I make it at home still. My daughter loves it.

Most people know what they should and shouldn't eat, especially athletes. Diet with 99% of people is just a discipline problem.