Gracie Barra Olando

delt16

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was in Orlando about a week ago on a business trip and stopped by the local Gracie Barra school out by UCF. I came in and offered to pay a mat fee to take a class. I didn’t have a gi since I typically don’t travel with it. They refused to let me roll or take a class without my own gi. I though it was strange since they offered no-gi classes as well. I spoke with a blackbelt at the school and he said he was afraid of getting in trouble if someone from the head Orlando school comes by and finds me training without a gi. I thought it was strange. Does anyone train in Orlando that can explain this? If I was a perspective student I wouldn’t have a gi, I assume they wouldn’t turn me away then.

I'm from the UK I came over to Orlando in January for a holiday. I found the Gracie Barra Kissimee school via internet search and went down to train there.

I attended the no gi classes and although I was charged slightly more than I maybe should have been ($25 a class), the instructor (Igor) and all the students were extremely welcoming and helpful.

Point is if the Orlando branch won't let you train, goto the Kissimee 1 cos I'm pretty sure you'll have more luck there

Scott

I was in Orlando about a week ago on a business trip and stopped by the local Gracie Barra school out by UCF. I came in and offered to pay a mat fee to take a class. I didn

To the OP, I can offer a very little bit of an explanation. I am a student at GBO who trains primarily at the UCF location. I'm sorry that you didn't get to train with us, it always sucks when you travel and expect to train only to be let down. Very frustrating.
All I'm going to say is that its a bit of a transition moment for our branch. The head instructors of all 4 schools are playing a larger role in the day to day, which is great for people like me who are regular members or for people looking to become members. But it also means that they're being stricter about having the GB gi and the t-shirts and what not.
If you are going to be coming back to Orlando though, I highly recommend trying again. I've trained at other clubs, and I've trained at GBO for the last two and a half years. I think we measure up pretty well. Very high quality instruction.

Back