Got my blue belt!

Orphangrinder

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know, you don't know me, so why should you care? I just joined after lurking for a year or so (All the flamewars turned me off, but the grappling forum does seem like a decent and helpful place), and I wanted to introduce myself -- plus, with this new turn of events, it seems like the right time.

So first, a little about me. I'm 26, 5'8", about 160, and I've been training BJJ for 1 year almost exactly. I also did muay thai for 6 months or so before BJJ.

Anyway, I took a couple months off from training recently for personal reasons, and when I came back, I found that my instructor had moved on to another school, and a former student of his, now a black belt, had taken his place. I was a little bummed because I don't have a car and the new school's too far for me to make it regularly, but the new instructor is a good guy.

So, my new instructor has been telling me that, from his observation, my technique looks good, and I should have a blue belt soon. Last night, I finally got a chance to roll with him, and after 10 or 15 minutes, he told me not to come back to class without a blue belt on. (He didn't have any on hand, so I gotta get my own.)

But anyway. So stoked. I don't quite feel like I deserve it yet (and I understand that's very common), but I already feel more of a drive to train and learn.

BJJ is awesome.

good work...there re plenty of times when I `want to give back my blue, too

Awesome. I consider my blue as just a learner's permit. The only thing you need to do to "deserve" it is to learn bjj with it.

The real difference between a new blue and a white is that a new blue has a slight comprehension of what he's supposed to be learning.

Congrats. Now watch the white belts gun for you ;)

Congrats on your Blue Belt!!! And welcome to Sherdog!

Wolverine
///

Orphangrinder said:
I don't quite feel like I deserve it yet (and I understand that's very common), but I already feel more of a drive to train and learn.

Congrats. It is very common to feel that way. A feeling of "man, now I've got to live up to the belt..." !!!!
Good job, keep going.

As a fellow blue belt and sherdogger I say, "Congrats".

Strive for that purple. Roll with the higher belts to get a feel of the higher level and if a white belt calls asks you to roll, be gentle, you were once a white belt, BUT don't let them win.

:D

Yeah youll go back and now all the other whites will say congrats, look at you with envy.. and try to kill you to prove they deserve theirs too.
You in return will step it up a notch in intensity as well as tehcnical ability... Probably within the month youll feel like you deserve it when your easily beating whites.

congrats

instead of letting the white belts chace you down, go shake up some purple belts.

they'll never see you coming.

congrads on your Blue-Belt have faith to your instructor he knows what he is doing. Keep training hard you can't let those white belts submit you easily anymore-(heh heh).

The new instructor did you a favor. Every time a guy gets promoted at my school. Everyone present is to line up with thier belts and whup his ass as he walks down the ranks with his new belt.

Congrtas on your promotion and welcome to Sherdog.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I really appreciate it.

As far as the white belts gunning for me, here's the thing: When the old instructor left, most of the class left with him. What we've got right now is mostly a bunch of new teenage white belts that I can wreck with my eyes closed, and a couple of middle-aged blue belts with 60 pounds on me. That's not much of a variety of competition. On the other hand, I do get a lot of personal attention from a crazy black belt instructor who's excited to roll with me because I give him a good workout. So maybe it evens out.

Congratulations on your promotion.

Why do so many people say they got promoted, but do not deserve it? I would think a black belt instructor would know better than a white belt.

Wear it with pride. After your next class, wear your gi and new belt to the mall. You'll have girls all over you!LOL

Headache said:
Why do so many people say they got promoted, but do not deserve it? I would think a black belt instructor would know better than a white belt.

I guess to the lowly white belt, even a blue belt has an aura of mystique and power. I mean, those are the guys whipping your ass all the time. When you get yours, you're still acutely aware of all the weaknesses and holes in your game, and you just don't feel like you're at that level. But I'll definitely take a black belt's opinion over mine -- it's just it doesn't quite FEEL that way.

congrats man! it wont be long though before you sick of it and dying for a purple. thats where iam now haha

Back