Gosh Damn It, Why Do They Play With Our Emotions?

kingobould***

Purple Belt
Reaction score
According to Fighthype, Dan Rafael is saying that all the “points aren’t agreed to” as far as the contract negotiations between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. Two days ago, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum advised Sportsillustrated.com that the negotiations had been agreed to by Mayweather’s promotional company and that the contract was now in Mayweather’s hands waiting for him to look it over and sign it.

If the negotiating points aren’t all agreed on, then why is Arum giving Mayweather and ultimatum of two weeks? Is Arum basically giving Mayweather a take it or leave it offer? There’s some people who think that Arum doesn’t want the Mayweather fight right now, that he would prefer to match Pacquiao up with one of his Top Rank fighters instead and keep Mayweather as a future option next year or whenever Pacquiao is poised to retire.

I don't even pay attention to see if the fight is happening. RIght now how I feel, if it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, oh well...

I want a link with Rafael himself stating this or I'm dubbing you for further stirring the pot on Pacquiao-Mayweather; thanks.

Here is kingobould's source, but I don't see any FightHype article/interview backing up the claim that Rafael made that comment (and given both the Pro-Mayweather slant of the writer and the conspiracy theory nature of the booking plan he suggests (with no substantial evidence besides his opinion, which is in a news article)), which is what confused me about the whole original post...

Edit: Looks like Rafael made the comments on his last Chat:

Joakim (IL)

Dan, where do Pac-PBF negotiations stand as far as you are concerned? Lotta other major media outlets are reporting on "agreements waiting on PBF's signature" but you have remained silent. What's up with the fight?

Dan Rafael
(12:11 PM)

I have not written because I am told that despite Arum's talk that all the points are agreed to and they are awaiting Floyd's approval only that in fact all points are not agreed to. When the deal is actually done (or not done) rest assured I will write.

Rich (Brooklyn)

Dan, do you buy Bob Arum's statement that he has indeed sent the final proposal to the Mayweather camp?

Dan Rafael
(12:50 PM)

I take everything Bob says with a grain of salt. I think he's trying to put the pressure on the Mayweather camp.

Romeo (DC)

Do you think Arum's strategy is working? Many media outlets seem to write that Mayweather is holding up the fight

Dan Rafael
(12:55 PM)

Because that's what Bob wants to put out there, whether it's true or not.

Last edited:
Well, the article makes sense a little.. at least the claim that there has been an ultimatum.

I would hope it wasn't true, but at this point, if there isn't an agreement, then there won't likely be one, and it makes sense to just state that and set a point to agree to terms or move on to other options.

Back