• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gordon and Andre Galvao got into it backstage

That's pretty strange and twisted logic. These are two martial artists and one is challenging the other to a fight, slaps him like a bitch, and the guy does nothing. They are fighters fighting, not some east coast/west coast thugs. He was also shit talking and getting into a pro fighters' face, what was he expecting, hugs and lively debate? It's a terrible look, it seemed like he didn't retaliate out of fear or was simply paralyzed, otherwise it's pretty incomprehensible.

With that said, Ryan comes off as an extremely strange and douchy guy.
Well, I think part of the unspoken ethos of combat athletes is that they constrain the violence they engage in to the realm of their chosen sport. The otherwise unacceptable acts they partake in are redeemed by the fact that they are enacted in a controlled environment and perhaps allow people to channel and focus what could otherwise be destructive instincts towards a productive end.

I don't think combat athletes have some responsibility to beat the crap out of everyone that challenges them. They take on challenges other people rarely have to deal with on the mat, in the cage or in the ring, not in a hotel lobby. By engaging in street fights outside the purview of their sport in a sense they are undermining the notion that combat sports can help people find a civilized and even noble outlet for their violent tendencies and instead feeding into the idea that they basically are a breeding ground for thugs.

Granted, Ryan didn't go after Galvao, from what I gather. But personally, I don't think either man should be judged on the outcome of a hotel altercation, but rather what they have accomplished as competitors and instructors.

That's pretty strange and twisted logic. These are two martial artists and one is challenging the other to a fight, slaps him like a bitch, and the guy does nothing. They are fighters fighting, not some east coast/west coast thugs. He was also shit talking and getting into a pro fighters' face, what was he expecting, hugs and lively debate? It's a terrible look, it seemed like he didn't retaliate out of fear or was simply paralyzed, otherwise it's pretty incomprehensible.

With that said, Ryan comes off as an extremely strange and douchy guy.
I would like to see athletes keep it on the mat so I’m glad it didn’t escalate. But I think Andre was frankly shocked and stunned.

Gordon offline is very quiet and I don’t know if I would say he’s timid. But he definitely doesn’t carry himself with aggressive energy. I’ve and Andre have shared the same space many times. I think Andre thought he could antagonize him without any physical retaliation.

The slap wasn’t a punch but it had some heat on it. I think Andre was kind of in shock and that’s why he didn’t retaliate. He wasn’t expecting that kind of energy from Gordon offline.

Well, I think part of the unspoken ethos of combat athletes is that they constrain the violence they engage in to the realm of their chosen sport. The otherwise unacceptable acts they partake in are redeemed by the fact that they are enacted in a controlled environment and perhaps allow people to channel and focus what could otherwise be destructive instincts towards a productive end.

I don't think combat athletes have some responsibility to beat the crap out of everyone that challenges them. They take on challenges other people rarely have to deal with on the mat, in the cage or in the ring, not in a hotel lobby. By engaging in street fights outside the purview of their sport in a sense they are undermining the notion that combat sports can help people find a civilized and even noble outlet for their violent tendencies and instead feeding into the idea that they basically are a breeding ground for thugs.

Granted, Ryan didn't go after Galvao, from what I gather. But personally, I don't think either man should be judged on the outcome of a hotel altercation, but rather what they have accomplished as competitors and instructors.

I would like to see athletes keep it on the mat so I’m glad it didn’t escalate. But I think Andre was frankly shocked and stunned.

Gordon offline is very quiet and I don’t know if I would say he’s timid. But he definitely doesn’t carry himself with aggressive energy. I’ve and Andre have shared the same space many times. I think Andre thought he could antagonize him without any physical retaliation.

The slap wasn’t a punch but it had some heat on it. I think Andre was kind of in shock and that’s why he didn’t retaliate. He wasn’t expecting that kind of energy from Gordon offline.

Masvidal has left the chat.

But in all seriousness, yeah, I would never call a guy like Galvao a bitch and I wasn't implying that. It doesn't take away from who he is as an athlete/coach. But I can see how people don't like the look here. Edwards didn't respond to Mas because a lot of people were in the way and it was chaotic. Here it was a bit different. Also Galvao seems capable of defending himself and seemed to be instigating to some extent. I don't think people would react the same if Danaher or Eddie Bravo got slapped by one of these guys, as that would be an unacceptable act of bullying. I don't think it's some incomprehensible immature take not to like the fact that he allowed this guy to assault him without even attempting retaliation. At the same time, it's probably better overall for everyone involved that it didn't escalate.

Last edited:
At the age of 16 years old, Gordon used to challenge his school mates into 20 dollars submission matches in a backyard after school..
He even fought one of the uncle of his school mates.
Once his mum found out what he was doing, she took to a bjj gym. She was hoping that he will be safer in a controlled training gym..
He would literally try to submit every instructors he had.
Gordon is like 24 years now.

Gordon been hustling people for fight money for a while now..
He was described as a the limbo slice of bjj by his first bjj instructor.

At the age of 16 years old, Gordon used to challenge his school mates into 20 dollars submission matches in a backyard after school..
Once his mum found out what he was doing, she took to a bjj gym. She was hoping that he will be safer in a controlled training gym..

Interesting info.

I was listening to some tips he was giving on YouTube alongside Faria, Gordon is pretty articulate, or at least, articulate enough to convey his thoughts and methods regarding BJJ. He’s quite cerebral.

Interesting info.

I was listening to some tips he was giving on YouTube alongside Faria, Gordon is pretty articulate, or at least, articulate enough to convey his thoughts and methods regarding BJJ. He’s quite cerebral.
He was one of the more articulate and cerebral seminars I’ve done. I did one super early too. 5+ years ago.

Please don’t take this as being disrespectful, but how does someone from New Zealand know all this?

Please don’t take this as being disrespectful, but how does someone from New Zealand know all this?

...."John Danaher is a New Zealander Brazilian jiu-jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts instructor. He holds a 4th degree black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Renzo Gracie, and is an instructor at the Renzo Gracie Academy in Manhattan"

Gordon Ryan did some podcast on flow grappling with his old instructors and they were sharing stories about Gordon.

...."John Danaher is a New Zealander Brazilian jiu-jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts instructor. He holds a 4th degree black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Renzo Gracie, and is an instructor at the Renzo Gracie Academy in Manhattan"

Actually, John is American.
He was born in the USA.
He spend his youth in NZ but went backo the states to do his PhD.
He did all his bjj training under Renso in NY.

Last edited:
Actually, John is American.
He was born in the USA.
He spend his youth in NZ but went backo the states to do his PhD.
He did all his bjj training under Renso in NY.
No shit coz his mum still lives in nz

Galvao still has the stronger gym compared to B team and new wave combined

Wow. That's really fascinating. That's a pretty awesome backstory. Makes me more of a fan of Gordon in a way.

Back