Good win for Pettis but let's be real it was a fluke

Wb wont ever be a champ.

I agree that Wonderboy will win the majority of times. But it's like 40/60... so not exceedingly lopsided to call this a fluke occurrence either. Even with a 30/70 margin it does not warrant the fluke moniker imo.

It's not a fluke. He has a history of throwing unexpected, unconventional power strikes. I would agree with you in other circumstances but he has a proven history of landing similar strikes with similar effect.

Wonderboy may be a more accomplished overall striker but it was absolutely well within Pettis' training and fight strategy to look out for the opportunity to land such a strike and so finding it and finishing with it absolutely cannot be considered a fluke.

It's not a fluke. He has a history of throwing unexpected, unconventional power strikes. I would agree with you in other circumstances but he has a proven history of landing similar strikes with similar effect.

Wonderboy may be a more accomplished overall striker but it was absolutely well within Pettis' training and fight strategy to look out for the opportunity to land such a strike and so finding it and finishing with it absolutely cannot be considered a fluke.
Much earlier when they asked Jones about his unorthodox striking, he said he trains those techniques constantly. As a result he believes they aren't low percentage moves anymore. And there's obviously some degree of merit to that.

Pettis has landed everything under the sun on people, he's spent years training to land those shots. That's the opposite of a fluke. Extremely disrepectful to call it that, you're saying dude just got lucky with something he's dedicated his entire life to being good at.

Pettis was getting his ass kicked up until that Superman punch. Lets be real here WB wins that fight 9 times of 10. Good for him though but Wonderboy is clearly the better fighter

I don’t think you understand what a “fluke” is...

Pettis was getting his ass kicked up until that Superman punch. Lets be real here WB wins that fight 9 times of 10. Good for him though but Wonderboy is clearly the better fighter

Naw..it was a closer fight then casuals could see..

I agree wonderboy was wining but pettis was turning the tide those dutch kickboxing cross body leg kicks alla duke rufus special were paying off big time and pettis had the power advantage.. He timed the counter perfect knowing off the side kick thompson couldnt back pedal

It was a fun high level fight...i will always watch thompson fight and pettis theres so much technique and speed /fludity to watch..

Great fight

Fluke I dont know about that...

But he took a beating from a bigger man until the Knockout

All these guys who hold their hands low keep having these ‘flukes’. You’d almost think there was a pattern emerging here.

Last edited:
Have you not seen Pettis fight? He's always dangerous and has a handful of come from behind victories. He can pull a submission or KO, tko out or nowhere. He's done it before. He has more power at WW that's for sure.

How was that a fluke? There's no flukes lol. Anderson breaking his leg wasn't even a fluke, Chris blocked the shit outta that kick.
Anyways pettis did land a good shot. Thompson got caught good n hard. N if u look at the replay thompson was staring right at him eyes wide opened just before he got hit with that. I was cheering for Thompson too. Hope he rebounds good.

Pettis was starting to look good. He deserved the win

WB is better, but Pettis was better tonight. Thats the name of the game.
WB is better a flashy kicks and using his distance but Pettis has a better grasp of basics and it showed - a squared up stance, attacking the leg, pressure and crowding. If Pettis was not so much at a size disadvantage with this game plan he would have had an easier time.

Pettis is known for his "flukes," which is strong evidence that they aren't flukes.

AP style is all about timing, setting traps, and doing flashy stuff when his opponent doesn't expect it.

Wonderboy would be the favourite in a rematch, but I don't see how knocking someone unconscious can be seen as a fluke

You don't know what a fluke is imo

Pettis set that shit up and landed it

Just because he was losing before he won or it not being the most likely outcome doesn't make it a fluke

Pettis might not have the best record since losing his belt but he's still dangerous.

Cant say its a fluke when Pettis is already known for fantastical finishes. On top of that Pettis changed up into a more standard Thai fighter and was really weathering the storm early while investing in leg kicks to pay later dividends. Very reminiscent of the many MThai vs Karate youtube fights of old

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess_bjj
Back