Good Leglock Instructional DVDs?

Last Gokor's dvd set was pretty good

So disclaimer- obviously Gokor knows more about leg locks than damn near any human being alive, but from my meager blue belt perspective, his set is weak on the "conceptual" angle, a lot like Paulson's DVD's and basically every insoanto guy. He shows a million entries that I'm sure he can hit live, but doesn't break down core concepts the way that say, a Ryan Hall (or Reilly's instructional) does. I'm sure if i were already on my way to leg lock wizardry the set would be more useful.

I have both and absolutely recommend his sambo leglocks, not so much dynamic entries.

The sambo leglock dvd is a flow series and some information on those transitions. These are pretty much all ground fighting.

The dynamic entries is fancier entries to submissions, a lot of them are standing entries.

They aren't very similar.

I can 2nd that. I'm glad Dynamic Entries wasn't very expensive, because it's not very useful. A lot of circus stuff that would be really, really low % in a match.

I bought Bodycomb's DVD last month, it's easy to understand, even for this wrestler/judoka!

A

So disclaimer- obviously Gokor knows more about leg locks than damn near any human being alive, but from my meager blue belt perspective, his set is weak on the "conceptual" angle, a lot like Paulson's DVD's and basically every insoanto guy. He shows a million entries that I'm sure he can hit live, but doesn't break down core concepts the way that say, a Ryan Hall (or Reilly's instructional) does. I'm sure if i were already on my way to leg lock wizardry the set would be more useful.

True, you are right. I am not a beginner at neither grappling or leglocks and it helped my game. So, lets call it "advanced" even if i dont like that concept.

True, you are right. I am not a beginner at neither grappling or leglocks and it helped my game. So, lets call it "advanced" even if i dont like that concept.

So, would getting Gokor's dvd set be beneficial to me even though I'm not the most experienced grappler, just under 10 months, but have been doing leg locks since my first day on the mats, literally my first class was ankle locks, and I have access to someone who I can ask questions about what I see in the dvds if I don't understand the mechanics?

Jay, i am convinced, in your case, that you will get alot out of those dvds.

Just my opinion though

Every year you'll watch them, you will get something different

Im also recomend Reilys DVDs I Can't recommend them enough.On dynamic enteries I think some of the stuff can be hard to do but to me I found a few things I learned and worth the asking price.

I found a dirt cheap copy of Sonnons Saddle DVD set on ebay a few years back and it was ok.Not even worth close to asking price new but if you can snag it used there is some good stuff but its very boring and he is long winded and he constantly bashes and praises Sambo.The biggest thing I picked up was learning how to do 50/50 in a better way IMO than the way Ryan Hall teachs it and Im a big Ryan Hall fan.His way shows you how to hide you feet better and gain more leverage so its not as much of a nuetral position.

I can't say enough good things about Reilly's Sambo Leglocks for No-gi Grappling.

The control flow he shows on the first disc alone upped my leglock game tremendously because control was always something I had problems with; ankle locks were a "tap them immediately or not at all" proposition. Which is largely my fault.

Im also recomend Reilys DVDs I Can't recommend them enough.On dynamic enteries I think some of the stuff can be hard to do but to me I found a few things I learned and worth the asking price.

I found a dirt cheap copy of Sonnons Saddle DVD set on ebay a few years back and it was ok.Not even worth close to asking price new but if you can snag it used there is some good stuff but its very boring and he is long winded and he constantly bashes and praises Sambo.The biggest thing I picked up was learning how to do 50/50 in a better way IMO than the way Ryan Hall teachs it and Im a big Ryan Hall fan.His way shows you how to hide you feet better and gain more leverage so its not as much of a nuetral position.

"Side Saddle" is more dominant than 50/50, but since your trapped knee is pointing downward and the trapped leg is topside, i'd be worried about people calling the pressure on the side of the knee "reaping" in some competition rulesets. There's more steps to get to it as you have to bump the leg over to the other hip.

I will second this. It's best used as a reference for those with a basic knowledge of leglocks.

Hey guys!

I'm glad a few of you dig my DVDs. :D

As far as the Dynamic Entry one, as stated before, it is mostly flying and standing entrances, and only one or two sections on leg control.

Not to be a total salesman, but my new iPad app 'Sambo Wrestling' has ALL of the leg control footage from the Dynamic Entry DVD on it in the bonus section. So if you are just interested in the leg control stuff, and also have an iPad, and also like jacket throws, then it could be useful.
itunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sambo-wrestling/id586711569?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

http://sambowrestling.com/

Train Hard, Have Fun!
-Reilly

Back