Good Kimura dvds?

Gumbi_guard

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
The kimura is my least used submission. im not bad with it, just not my go-to move. what dvds are good for showing the versatility of the kimura?
what do you think of Chris Brennan and his dvd?

thanks

The Brennan DVD is pretty good. It has a lot of information focusing just on the Kimura. Not sure if there is another available source out there that can compare with it.

Thanks. It looks like it deals with the kimura in depth much like reilly's do with leg ties. I've been a fan of brennan's for a long time

I did a review on youtube that you can look up, but I think the Chris Brennan dvd is just okay. He doesn't really delve into the technique, but rather just shows you a highlight real of applications. Most are pretty low percentage.

There is so much material out there. Just google it man.

Here, learn a little from the Last Emperor.

YouTube - Fedor Emelianenko - Optimal kimura ranges (MMA & UFC DVD)

right, yeah. I heard about this google you speak of. but I figured I would ask the trusted minds at sherdog for a thing called "suggestions"

I have a fuckload of instructionals, but no kimura specific. so to rephrase my question: "which dvd do you personally recommend for Kimuras?

and do you have personal experience viewing the fedor dvd? or are you just showing me another kimura dvd, and because it's Fedor, it must be good?

right, yeah. I heard about this google you speak of. but I figured I would ask the trusted minds at sherdog for a thing called "suggestions"

I have a fuckload of instructionals, but no kimura specific. so to rephrase my question: "which dvd do you personally recommend for Kimuras?

and do you have personal experience viewing the fedor dvd? or are you just showing me another kimura dvd, and because it's Fedor, it must be good?

On the Fedor DVD he just does the Americana. Don't get it expecting Kimuras.

Karo Parisyan has a Kimura dvd in his set, I have it, but haven't watched it for along time so couldn't tell ya how good it is.

Yes, I have seen the Fedor DVD in its entirety. Okay to answer your rephrased question.

Infinite Jiu-jitsu: Armbar and Kimura Game by Carlos Machado

BRennans new dvd King of the Kimura is quite good, shows a lot of setups and finishes from all angles. Brennans earlier dvd's are good as well. Erik Paulson has a two dvd set out as well.

Karo Parisyan has a Kimura dvd in his set, I have it, but haven't watched it for along time so couldn't tell ya how good it is.

That's different. It's throws from the Kimura grip. Granted, most do end in the submission but it's not a straight Kimura submission DVD.

ryan hall has good details on the kimura from inside a triangle from guard

I like kimuras and I like the Brennan DVD. I think the audio, video, angles etc are good. He starts from guard, and then demonstrates some responses based on opponent's response. The first two, when the opponent straightens the arm or grabs on his leg, I think are both pretty good breakdowns and "high percentage". Both helped me out in areas where I got stuck. He works into armbars if the opponent rolls away and I think by spinning under him as well. He also go through a sequence from cross sides and shows some alternatives.

Though he doesn't say it, he shows the armbar that Laiman caught him with in a match, off a Kimura that Brennnan was attempting. He then shows a response to that as well, so I thought that was pretty cool for him to break that sequence down. There are a couple of foot locks thrown in at the end.

I think does a pretty good job of showing some solid transitions and response based of kimura attempts, and I'd recommend it.

I like kimuras and I like the Brennan DVD. I think the audio, video, angles etc are good. He starts from guard, and then demonstrates some responses based on opponent's response. The first two, when the opponent straightens the arm or grabs on his leg, I think are both pretty good breakdowns and "high percentage". Both helped me out in areas where I got stuck. He works into armbars if the opponent rolls away and I think by spinning under him as well. He also go through a sequence from cross sides and shows some alternatives.

Though he doesn't say it, he shows the armbar that Laiman caught him with in a match, off a Kimura that Brennnan was attempting. He then shows a response to that as well, so I thought that was pretty cool for him to break that sequence down. There are a couple of foot locks thrown in at the end.

I think does a pretty good job of showing some solid transitions and response based of kimura attempts, and I'd recommend it.

Nice, I like the sound of that

Infinite Jiu-jitsu: Armbar and Kimura Game by Carlos Machado

Yes sir. This DVD set is the instructional worlds best kept secret. I will forever pimp it.

In the Kimura DVD he spends about 25 minutes (about 1/3 of the DVD) explaining how to get the kimura on a person who is defending correctly from start to finish. It's much better than most DVDs because it works with the assumption that your opponent is defensive and knowledgeable and the DVD shows you how to actually systematically break down your opponents posture. Great stuff, and one of the few instructionals that I think works better for advanced people.

kimura is my go to move to attack or sweep from the bottom or climb their back from the bottom. i didn't know you need a dvd to learn this move, i guess what made it awesome is it's simplicity. just use it as often as possible when sparring.

I have the 2 Erik Paulsons techniques. I think the dvds are 'ok'.

I've been told the kimura is my go to move.
I seriously think you need to look at it from a theory standpoint and just focus on finishing with a kimura. Roll with a focus on working the kimura and maybe straight arm lock.
Experience has shown me that I can take the kimura from almost any position. The top side, top mount, top half, bottom half. I am talking of taking the lock from a theoretical standpoint of how you are attacking his shoulder.

There are also ways to make kimuras work even though the opponent is defending correctly. There is also a way to kimura the opponent who is trying to kimura you.
The kimura and the toe hold are nearly the same move. Play with the kimura as well as working the toe hold.

I also have a few principles when using it.
Taking out the excess slack in the muscle by twisting the wrist. This tightens his arm up and the tap is much faster/closer.

If you can't finish the kimura you can also attack the wrist easily. This is an easy way to strip a weapon as well. Standing - sumi gaeshi, standing kimura
guard - kimura
half guard bottom - kimura
being passed - kimura
half top -kimura
sweep - various with the kimura

My suggestion is to work on it for a month or similar. Look through the lens of your rolls only with the intent of gaining that kimura.

Back