• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

good guy with a gun stops kids from getting too noisy; newest shooting

If that house had had nukes, none of this would've even happened.

I'm definitely open to ideas on gun reform. My biggest issue is mental health in this country when in comes to new gun laws. When came a persons rights be stripped? There needs to be away to regain rights for some and not others. How do we assure the rights of law abiding citizens and keep guns away from mentally unstable citizens? I think most people would agree in general that an actual machine gun doesn't have a place out on the streets. So then we get to discuss thing such as "assault rifles" and which guns fall into this category. How many rounds should a gun be able to hold, what size round should a gun get to fire, and what sort of attachments should be allowed. Should each state get to decide their gun laws or do we strip the states and cities of their rights to make laws? There is a lot of ground to cover.
Honestly for me the whole mental health debate surrounding guns and violent crime is a distraction. Most mentally ill people are not a danger to others and most violent crime is not committed by the mentally ill but is committed in the context of gang violence. Focusing on the very rare events where mental illnes and firearms converge to produce a tragedy blinds us to the larger problem. I'm with @alanb on this, if we want to reduce violent crime generally we should focus on reducing wealth inequality which correlates(along with population density to be fair) with violent crime more closely than gun laws do.

If there is any issue relating to guns and mental health its suicide as evidenced by the fact that 2/3s of gun deaths are suicides. Any legislation concerning guns and mental health should seek to address that first and foremost. To that end something like a waiting period for purchases might help but more than that I'd also like to see an expansion in access to mental healthcare and an outreach campaign informing gun owners about the risks that guns pose in the context of mental illnesses like depression.

Quite right, old chap, but I'm going to rely on lemons instead of guns because lemons have kept seafarers safe from scurvy from thousands of years longer than guns have kept people safe and, like you say, that way of life may return at any time
You do you, Joe.

*Walking around in a future full of shy people and mimes, scholars trying to figure out how things went so terribly wrong. "It's natural," people say. And then an untalkative introvert makes an explosive discovery browsing the old web archives and must go on the run before before Big Quiet silences him forever!*

avengers-infinity-war-final-trailer-takeaways-ebony-maw.jpg

I'm pretty sure we all agree this guy is a danger to society. A completely unhinged asshole, that should not have had a gun. However as the 2nd amendment stands even unhinged assholes have the right to own guns. Instead of just crying about banning certain guns you guys need to be advocating changing the second amendment to redefine gun ownership rights imo.

Also unless the AK could fire full auto it wasn't a machine gun. If it could fire full auto and he didn't have the proper permit it was illegal. From the story it doesn't sound like full auto was used though. When talking about firearms it is important to use the correct terms to describe the gun, because in cases such as this it does make a big difference. I hope the guy gets punished to the full extent that the law allows.

It wasn't a gun. It was rifle.

So you only want threads on mass shootings? What shootings are thread worthy?

If you get shot, I'd be interested in reading about that.

giphy.gif

pick up your victim card and dry your tears.

And the leftist has nothing to say about the Chicago shooting victims. I'd say I was disgusted or shocked, but I'm just bored by this schtick at this point.

I never understand this rebuke from gun twats.

We get it that you guy's have made very specific, unnecessary and arbitrary definitions of "semi-auto," "full-auto," "machine gun," etc....; and then lol yourselves right out of the argument if someone doesn't nail the right term spot on.

We get it. You guys jerk off while sniffing each other's holsters.

Regardless of what term the OP used, bickering over a definition doesn't address the point. Which was that we have a dipshit gun owner here doing something stupid. Not that the OP is really threadworthy. But at least try to address the topic. You don't just auto win the argument because someone on the other side incorrectly identified a weapons rate of fire, or used some off industry term like "assault rifle."

How you guys think this is some big rebuttal is just desperate.
Eh... this seems kinda desperate tbh.

It wasn't a gun. It was rifle.

1a : a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory
b : a portable firearm (such as a rifle or handgun)
c : a device that throws a projectile

You know if this good guy didn't have a gun he would just be some average grumpy cunt.

But now he clearly has mental issues and is a symptom of poor mental health policy

To have a seat at the table you really should at least be able to identify what is being discussed. Nobody would let you dictate medical policy of you didn't know a tonsil from a kidney, so why let that slide with weapons?

Who is the Sherdog member with power to dictate policy?

Honestly for me the whole mental health debate surrounding guns and violent crime is a distraction. Most mentally ill people are not a danger to others and most violent crime is not committed by the mentally ill but is committed in the context of gang violence. Focusing on the very rare events where mental illnes and firearms converge to produce a tragedy blinds us to the larger problem. I'm with @alanb on this, if we want to reduce violent crime generally we should focus on reducing wealth inequality which correlates(along with population density to be fair) with violent crime more closely than gun laws do.

If there is any issue relating to guns and mental health its suicide as evidenced by the fact that 2/3s of gun deaths are suicides. Any legislation concerning guns and mental health should seek to address that first and foremost. To that end something like a waiting period for purchases might help but more than that I'd also like to see an expansion in access to mental healthcare and an outreach campaign informing gun owners about the risks that guns pose in the context of mental illnesses like depression.

I usually assume when talking about gun violence we are including suicides. Honestly the bigger gun debates usally happen after someone such as this man shoots people, I think there is a good chance he was unstable. We don't focus much on gang violence, prolly because it's a large culture problem that won't be fixed by just taking guns away. I agree income inequality definitely has a large influence on the culture issues we face.

1a : a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory
b : a portable firearm (such as a rifle or handgun)
c : a device that throws a projectile

Edit: Note that I am just having fun playing word games.

Looks like you quoted Merriam Webster, so here is another one from them. Note the second definition, as does the definition you posted from them, reflects the changing nature of the English language.

Definition of assault rifle
: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

Edit: Note that I am just having fun playing word games.

Looks like you quoted Merriam Webster, so here is another one from them. Note the second definition, as does the definition you posted from them, reflects the changing nature of the English language.

Definition of assault rifle
: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

#HockeyBJJ

One of my teachers always told me the usage of the word is the meaning. So like with "assault rifle" we all know what people are saying when they use the phrase, so that becomes what the phrase means.

Let's ignore the "machine gun" vs. "assault rifle" semantic debate for a minute.

Would this situation have been improved if both of the two guys who got shot had a rifle of their own? I mean if they pulled out their rifles or hand-guns, it would have been one guy who just wanted some peace and quiet versus two guys who didn't want to turn their music down, but didn't like the other guy taking out his rifle. Who's the good guy with a gun in that situation?

Once all three rifles are out, I doubt anyone is planning on backing down because that's not usually why you take your gun out, is it? Would it have been better if the younger guys just shot the guy who wanted their music turned down? Would all three guns being out calm down the situation or make it worse? Is everyone now acting in self defense because guns are pointed at them? What if a bystander pulled out his gun and shot at the kids because he saw an old man being held up by two kids?

Back