Good grapplers Conditioning help?

tommboy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, besides going to BJJ and getting a good workout there what type of cardio vascualar excercises do you do geared towards the matches, (short burts not long distances running) And how often do you do it a week?

isnt there a forum for this? why dont u post this in the conditioning forum instead?

Hiit (high intensity interval training)

Well, Eddie Bravo told me 10-15 sprints of 100 yards once a week should work wonders. But, I've been doing 10 sprints of a 100 yards about 2 times a week. Run long distance at least once a week, its good for you and also builds your stamina. The sprints are for explosiveness. Like how Jacare fights, hes always moving fast, which is from sprinting.

Also, do lots of hardcore sparring, it helps wonders with your sprints. I started seeing results in the way I fight a little after a month or so. It comes quick. Just be consistant with it. :)

Sitting on the couch, drinking beer & watching TV.

judogido said:

Oh yea, that will work wonders for your cardio and BJJ...NOT

what I would do is interval timed sparring.

start on the bottom and have 45 seconds to get out.

start mounted you have 45 secs to get out.

start standing you have 45 to getht he guy to the ground.

The key is to make sure you are rested before each spar and make sure your opponent knows what you are doing.

I'm not a great grappler or superior conditioned but I'm improving all the time. So, take what I do for what it's worth.

I like to do weights for conditioning. Like this morning I used a strongman log,farmers walks, sledgehammer and sit-ups for my morning conditioning. Since tonight I train BJJ, I did 3 sets of...
100log clean and press for 10 reps
80 farmers each hand for 100 feet
8 pound sledge for 20 hits on a tire
10 reps of laying on my back kicking up in the air.

3 sets non-stop...it took 8 minutes.I try to be explosive on everything I do. Next Monday I will pick 4 movements and shoot for 9 minutes of work.

Make a very small improvement every week(weight,timeor sets), it will prevent overtraining.

judogido said:

If you want to take this to the next level, while your sitting there eat a half gallon of ice cream
directly from the carton with an over sized spoon.

Run. Distance, sprints, hills on different days.
Jump rope.
Circuit weight room stuff, higher reps.
Some kind of circuit training just using body weight, i.e jumping jacks, sit ups, pull ups, etc.
But mostly running.

Bubble Boy said:
If you want to take this to the next level, while your sitting there eat a half gallon of ice cream
directly from the carton with an over sized spoon.
I watch triathlons and laugh at the persons struggling cause they are "SO UNFIT". Same with watching fights. I lie there & criticise them when they gas cause they SHOULDVE TRAINED HARDER... then I open another beer & eat the leftover pizza from last night.

Back