Good Gi for 5'8 and around 148

JJ KID

White Belt
Reaction score
Whats a Good Gi for me i am 5'8 and around 148

:icon_chee
thanks

I'm close to your dimensions, only an inch taller and I like my Shoyoroll 450 A1 (cold wash hang dry only) and Dragao A2 (after a run or two in the dryer).

same height/weight. Vulkan Pro Light A1, air dried only, fits like a glove. seriously if it shrank any it'd be borderline illegal, but its perfect and seems custom tailored to me.

Other gi's which i routinely heat dried
Gameness Platinum A2 - good fit as well, a little baggy compared to the Vulkan
Atama Single A2 - Great fit after i had the skirt professionally tailored (was way too long), pants perfect.
HCK comp single - size 4 (their A2 i think) - overall a little large for my taste. top fits well, pants way too baggy and long for me.

i'm the same size as you and started bjj this month. i got 2 of the fuji single weave gi's, one blue and one white for $150. they both fit perfect after one wash and 20 minute hot dry. the quality on them is really nice and i noticed there weren't a bunch of people wearing them at my gym, all in various stages of wear, so they must be pretty good. maybe eventually i'll splurge on something more expensive, but these seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Can anybody recommend a gi for someone 5'5" and 200lb? looking to get back in shape and start classes. Lift a little bit so its not all fat. at least thats what i tell myself.
Thanks!

I'd recommend Fugi single weave in A2 as well. I just bought a white one this month and I really like it. Best bang for the buck deal. Quality gi by japan. For some reason the cotton in japan is very soft which I like. I am 5'11" 142 lbs and it fit perfect out of the box, even better after cold wash and air dry. They are known to shrink so if it's a good fit only cold wash and air dry. New Fuji light weight just came out so you might look into that but I have yet to try it.

any one of them could be perfect for you, you just have to dive in and start trying them out. btw keikos are NOT just for tall skinny guys. i'm short and really muscular (5'4 158lbs), and an a1 was HUGE out of the bag. height and weight convey very little about your actual dimensions. it's a starting point, but beyond that you really just need to see for yourself. it's kind of like saying "i have a round face and a big nose. what sunglasses would be best for me?" does that make sense?

point is, get whatever gi you like. your opinions/preferences on fit are going to change so much with experience that it really doesn't matter where you start.

Back