good boxing training online

im mor

e concerned about counter fighting punching while moving ect

He goes over the intricacies of the basics (including movement) so after you get that down it will help a lot towards punching while moving. Otherwise you never will

I have a question about boxing training on-line. When i check Youtube for box training, i see a lot of shadowboxing, and extremely fast. You know, the 50 punches, look how amazingly fast i am at hitting the ball (or air).
I do understand the reason for shadowboxing, I don't get the 50 fast punches, faster then light. I hope this speaks to the imagination!

Why do boxers do this? I never see this in a fight. I see 6-7 combinations at max, lots of 1-2's or.. 1-2 and some creative 3-4-7 but never the 1-2-1-2-1-2-5-5-5-5-5-6-6-6-6-6-8-8-8-8.

Is there good use for training like that, or is it more for show?

I have a question about boxing training on-line. When i check Youtube for box training, i see a lot of shadowboxing, and extremely fast. You know, the 50 punches, look how amazingly fast i am at hitting the ball (or air).
I do understand the reason for shadowboxing, I don't get the 50 fast punches, faster then light. I hope this speaks to the imagination!

Why do boxers do this? I never see this in a fight. I see 6-7 combinations at max, lots of 1-2's or.. 1-2 and some creative 3-4-7 but never the 1-2-1-2-1-2-5-5-5-5-5-6-6-6-6-6-8-8-8-8.

Is there good use for training like that, or is it more for show?
It's good to finish a round on bag like that and rest 1 minute then slowly all over again

tons of grappling u find online techniques programs ect but seems like boxing doesnt really have alot i been training half my life so far as a boxer i have good technique with my hands but i can always improve my coaches are old school guys who fought pro in 80s and 90s id like to see some peoples training methods numbers ect a u can always find new things to change your game im a boxer for mma i have short arms for my weight class but im 6 1 at 170 footwork is very important in mma due to not being able to parry cover up as much
Mix Floyd Jr. and Loma style and you will be great

im nto a fna of the m
Mix Floyd Jr. and Loma style and you will be great
ayweather style thats for just pure boxing iliea more grounded fudnamentals tyle like tommy hearns ect crosses over to mma much better

It's good to finish a round on bag like that and rest 1 minute then slowly all over again

Okay. And how so?

For example. From 1:33, those fast punches. You don't see this in fights, ever, right?

Okay. And how so?

For example. From 1:33, those fast punches. You don't see this in fights, ever, right?

It trains the speed and fluidity of lesser (non-redline) punches. In the ring, many opt to be more careful by picking their shots more (or better placement and timing, which makes sense because it has a better net effect. But individual punches (and short combos) still can be just that fast in the ring.

And yes sometimes you DO see that speed in the ring, usually in shorter combos because when you get to a high level no one lets you just do a continuous flurry on them past a few punches (except sometimes when they're dizzy on the ropes or they're out on their feet)

It trains the speed and fluidity of lesser (non-redline) punches. In the ring, many opt to be more careful by picking their shots more (or better placement and timing, which makes sense because it has a better net effect. But individual punches (and short combos) still can be just that fast in the ring.

And yes sometimes you DO see that speed in the ring, usually in shorter combos because when you get to a high level no one lets you just do a continuous flurry on them past a few punches (except sometimes when they're dizzy on the ropes or they're out on their feet)

Thank you. Glad I got an answer and you did not think I was throlling. What is a non-redline punch? I googled it, but cant find it.

Thank you. Glad I got an answer and you did not think I was throlling. What is a non-redline punch? I googled it, but cant find it.

Redline means 100%, its a term taken from your car. When you rev the engine to its fullest, the RPM needle goes into "the red" which is a red marked area on the meter (usually not too heathy for most motors but that doesn't apply as much here in sports). You'll hear the term "redline" being applied to all sorts of things, not just cars and sports. It's usually applied to effort in anything, including mental/studying. It's a very useful and broadly applicable term to many areas and studies in life.

I just mean when you're not throwing combos or single punches at your fastest or most rapid speed. Normal punches that are done in the boxing ring are usually not 100% most of the time (until an opportunity shows up) or else you would tire yourself out very early in the fight throwing them. You have to conserve energy in a fight (until a juicy window of opportunity shows up) and that's another reason you don't see pros throwing flurries nonstop and at their highest speed.

A good 50%-80% punch can still mess someone up perfectly if you aim and time it right (and somehow saves you a lot more than just 20%-50% energy/exhaustion over time)

Last edited:
Redline means 100%, its a term taken from your car. When you rev the engine to its fullest, the RPM needle goes into "the red" which is a red marked area on the meter (usually not too heathy for most motors but that doesn't apply as much here in sports). You'll hear the term "redline" being applied to all sorts of things, not just cars and sports. It's usually applied to effort in anything, including mental/studying. It's a very useful and broadly applicable term to many areas and studies in life.

I just mean when you're not throwing combos or single punches at your fastest or most rapid speed. Normal punches that are done in the boxing ring are usually not 100% most of the time (until an opportunity shows up) or else you would tire yourself out very early in the fight throwing them. You have to conserve energy in a fight (until a juicy window of opportunity shows up) and that's another reason you don't see pros throwing flurries nonstop and at their highest speed.

A good 50%-80% punch can still mess someone up perfectly if you aim and time it right (and somehow saves you a lot more than just 20%-50% energy/exhaustion over time)

Makes sense. So a dude like Wilder simply has a way stronger 50-80% then most. A guy light Floyd then seems to go for points instead the KO, hitting opponents fast and well enough

Makes sense. So a dude like Wilder simply has a way stronger 50-80% then most. A guy light Floyd then seems to go for points instead the KO, hitting opponents fast and well enough

Yep exactly. You shouldn't need more than 80% most of the time if you place it well, it should be plenty.

Placing well at the right time is the most important in terms of effectiveness

Last edited:
Yep exactly. You shouldn't need more than 80% most of the time if you place it well, it should be plenty.

Placing well at the right time is the most important in terms of effectiveness

So, maybe I do this way wrong, but how hard should you hit the mitts and bag in training, most of the time? I guess it should not be 100, perhaps not even 90? Probably more in the 50-80% range and work on speed and technique?

So, maybe I do this way wrong, but how hard should you hit the mitts and bag in training, most of the time? I guess it should not be 100, perhaps not even 90? Probably more in the 50-80% range and work on speed and technique?

Yep, exactly. Crisp and well placed

By far, IMO, I'd say Fran Sands account on youtube gives the best and most realistic boxing tutorials. Might have trouble with the accent though.

I can recommend Marvin Cook. He is really into the sound positioning game which Sinister is trying to explain here. It is really a great fundamental to learn. I just had an "aha" moment in boxing reading Sinister, watching his guys box and his tutorials. Then I tested in spar day and it works. Marving Cook explains all these in videos in other words.

I wish there was a video content creator similar for Boxing like Grapplers Guide for BJJ/Submission Grappling.

Here is a video content creator with masterboxingllc.com similar to Grapplers Guide for BJJ

https://www.masterboxingllc.com/cop...mail&cid=b61434de-15ba-4a38-a653-cacc489c2eb1
That's a nice resource.

I took a quick look @ the footwork offereing and makes perfect sense. On paper. What do I mean,? two things.

1. I just watched an MMA match from EFC? The fight one down from the headliner had a guy who didn't know how to box for crap... based on the simple tutorials on YT I've latched onto. I'll post one below. His striking form was horrible, no accuracy or good effect at all. Walked around doing some random jerky, chin down head stuff. Round 2, got his head kicked off almost right off the bat. Just standing there.

2. The instructor in the video really came across as knowledgeable. He, however, made this kind of categorical statement I find is misleading when one is seeking to master the whole art (the latter when it works). He says you box with your feet, most what to have good looking, solid punching technique.

Well, my response the latter is what nearly all the boxing drills focus on (except sparring), although this is not absolute. More importantly, good, solid punching form is what it is all about - as a base. Just like in Judo, one has to get the throwing process down or you're always going to be a lame duck.

In relation to the latter, this is just what that losing MMA competitor didn't accomplish. Guys doing some boxing training and going into a full contact arena to show their stuff. What stuff?

Furthermore, to bring back the Boxing Video Instructional, that losing MMA fighter compouned his woes by doing his hard ass punching & kicking stuff, i.e., boxing with his hands; then footwork dissolved into what we do in everyday life. IOW, no footwork.

Rather than run off and buy videos, I'm going to put forth an abbreviated outline of a boxing training program. Before jumping into the full bore program by some expert. These MMA fighters, here EFC?, whatever they are following, it appears to me they aren't really following any program.

MMA Result; Head sails to other side of cage.:(

Here's a simple boxing instructional on basic punches. Here 4. I know for the established audience, this is kids play, so please bear with me. The other side of the picture is that EFC MMA competitor who couldn't box his way out of a plastic bag, isn't even exhibiting these basics. Instead, throwing this and that, including hay-makers, lazy jabs into thin air, etc., etc.
Four Basic Boxing Punches
•Apr 16, 2009
3.5K 124 Share
Save

MonkeySee
729K subscribers

Four basic punches, one of the beauties of boxing. Doing them right is another matter. The change in body position along with the punches. The instructor coaches on important points all along the way. Here's what I got. Key lessons.

1. Jab. With weak hand. Defensive. longer range.
2. Cross. Strong hand. Offensive. Longish range.
3. Hook. Either hand. Offensive or defensive. Mid-Close range.
4. Upper cut. Strong hand. Offensive. Close range.

The footwork necessarily builds on this, later. And in sync with the correct body posturing. Which supports the punching. The latter two come first & foremost.

Now I see variation (other vids) from what the instructor counsels. The greater import, that EFC competitor showed little, elemental understanding I just typed out... overall. The guy is just going out and trying stuff out he tries out in MMA training. Formless. That's what comes across. Which makes me question again the standard boxing training methods, or how these competitors are using them.

The girl assistant, made me chuckle (no offense to gals intended). But she makes a perfect example of someone who hasn't put together to punch convincingly. She's also mature enough to be training right, instead of rushing into hell's fire.

Last edited:
Back