Good book on submission defense

Hellbent

White Belt
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of great bjj books out there, but I am more specificly looking for one that is great on sub defense more.

Any suggestions?

I would also like to know. I have searched many books and bought many DVDs and still can't find a good one. Also books on positional escapes are hard to find.

Passing The Guard by Ed Benville and Tim Cartmell is not bad. It's focus is the guard and guard passing and offers a chapter on defending submissions attempts on you whilst you are trying to pass the guard (so triangles, arm bars etc). But from the sounds of it, it wouldn't be comprehensive enough for you to cover other submissions.

if u understand how a sub works you can throw a spanner in the works. if your opponent trys to armbar you , but ur elbow is too close to his groin , he cant. if he tries 2 triangle you and u can stop his leg from comin up , he cant. or just pull the fuck out ala fedor vs everything nog ever does.

go pick up a childs book on dinosaurs ....

a T rex has short arms that are always stuck to its body ..

a brontosaurus is sturdy, stable, and low to the ground ..

and a stegosaurus has strong well built shoulders and never sticks his neck out ...

thats all youll really need to know.

What the Hell are you smoking?

Eddie Brtavo's new book is pretty good..pick it up and any of your fine retail establishments

there arent really that i have seen..it would be nice..but the real answer to avoiding most submissions is positioning.

Bas' Big Books of Combat. Some of it is tangible, and the rest of it could only be pulled off by athletic freaks like Bas.

Nevertheless, it includes one of the most comprehensive collections of defenses out there.

Superbeast said:
What the Hell are you smoking?

we have a guy at my school we call patricksaraus rex. He has stubby little arms that stay stuck to his ribs ... and he damn near impossible to choke, arm bar, or shoulder lock.

ichimonji said:
go pick up a childs book on dinosaurs ....

a T rex has short arms that are always stuck to its body ..

a brontosaurus is sturdy, stable, and low to the ground ..

and a stegosaurus has strong well built shoulders and never sticks his neck out ...

thats all youll really need to know.

Does the Three Dinosaur system defeat the Five Animal system?

Back