Good Body Fat measurements for athletes?

Lizardman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Before I begin to try and lose X amount of lbs for my summer comp, I want to have an idea of how much body fat I'm carrying around. I had a skinfold done about 3 years ago. I've changed quite a bit since then, maintaining +/- 10lbs but became noticeably leaner in appearance. Having to go off a mirror isn't something I want to rely on though. I don't know if I have 25lbs of fat to lose. Recommendations?

They do make scales that supposedly tell you your BF %, using electrical currents or something, but I've found them to be fairly inaccurate. Might be your best bet though, unless you can find somewhere to dunk yourself underwater and get weighed.

go to the doc and get them to do it. it might cost a little if they use something more accurate than calipers, but worth it imo

totally unrelated but i'm competing in a min-triathlon this summer and i'm 6' 190 @ about 8-9% body fat and i'm overweight for this fucking thing! I met some of the other guys entering and they're right around my height but weigh anywhere from 20-40lbs less. jesus christ, these guys are in amazing shape but they look like starving ethiopians

totally unrelated but i'm competing in a min-triathlon this summer and i'm 6' 190 @ about 8-9% body fat and i'm overweight for this fucking thing! I met some of the other guys entering and they're right around my height but weigh anywhere from 20-40lbs less. jesus christ, these guys are in amazing shape but they look like starving ethiopians

Funny...we're almost exactly the same size. And yeah, triathlon types have very different body compositions...they don't really need much muscle, they just need what they do have to be very highly developed aerobically. Unfortunately I think it's not the healthiest body for the long-term, which sucks considering the training required is so mother-f'ing hard.

you can buy crappy fat calipers for like 10 bucks...

They do make scales that supposedly tell you your BF %, using electrical currents or something, but I've found them to be fairly inaccurate. Might be your best bet though, unless you can find somewhere to dunk yourself underwater and get weighed.

wish i saved my money

i have one and its pretty crappy

Funny...we're almost exactly the same size. And yeah, triathlon types have very different body compositions...they don't really need much muscle, they just need what they do have to be very highly developed aerobically. Unfortunately I think it's not the healthiest body for the long-term, which sucks considering the training required is so mother-f'ing hard.

i think muscle hurts you in this thing as well. Right now when i'm swimming, my shoulders get too much blood flow to them and they "pump" up too much to where it becomes painful and limits my range of motion. They certainly have an advantage over me there. If i can get through that swim with a decent time i should finish about middle of the pack, or so i think. But yeah, these dudes look like bean poles. If it was a "full-contact" event i'd drown those skinny fucks on my way to Victory Lane!

Back