good article on BJJ champs and their chances at mma

I still cant believe Xande, Jacare, and Roger are all in the 23 year old range..

Im so fucking jealous... only 2 years to catch up:)

yeah, but they all look like they're in their 30's except for marcelo

DAMN!! they're all 23?!?! I know Kyra Gracie turned 20 May 29... :) thas my girl!!!!!!!!!

2om30 said:
yeah, but they all look like they're in their 30's except for marcelo

Xande trains me and he does not look, nor does he act like he is 23. He is very mature for his age. You would never think he is only 23! Heck I think his brother Saulo is only 26 and he looks like he is in his mid 30's. Not that he looks old but looks very mature for his age!

Wolverine
///

you guys are right. most of my BJJ instructors were in there early/mid 20's and they all looked much older! I hope this isnt a bjj thing :)

I think some of these guys might actually have a very prosper career in mma, if they go for it. but some of these guys BJJ games are not the best for mma.

I can see Roger, Jacare, and Xande being successful in MMA. Marcelinho I don't know......

Wolverine said:
Xande trains me and he does not look, nor does he act like he is 23. He is very mature for his age. You would never think he is only 23! Heck I think his brother Saulo is only 26 and he looks like he is in his mid 30's. Not that he looks old but looks very mature for his age!

Wolverine
///

Nah Saulo is older... In his instructional videos he says he is 30.. and i dont know how long ago those were made.

thanks for the link, good article. it was a bummer to hear fabio gurgel and roger being kind of resistant to training seriously other arts. imo, roger should go the route of renzo, crosley, and rodrigo and learn some striking. if they don't set up their takedowns well, everyone they face is going to bust out the chuck liddel strategy. btw, anyone know if crosley and rodrigo are fighting again soon? jacare could be really good, he's got pretty solid takedowns.

colinm said:
thanks for the link, good article. it was a bummer to hear fabio gurgel and roger being kind of resistant to training seriously other arts. imo, roger should go the route of renzo, crosley, and rodrigo and learn some striking. if they don't set up their takedowns well, everyone they face is going to bust out the chuck liddel strategy. btw, anyone know if crosley and rodrigo are fighting again soon? jacare could be really good, he's got pretty solid takedowns.

But if your passion is jiu jitsu why change it? If you can be phenominal at jiu jitsu.. why give that up to become mediocre at mma?

Its like asking Derick Jeter to take up Cricket.
06czadvocate2.jpg

Gsoares2 said:
But if your passion is jiu jitsu why change it? If you can be phenominal at jiu jitsu.. why give that up to become mediocre at mma?

Its like asking Derick Jeter to take up Cricket.
06czadvocate2.jpg
I don't think that is a very accurate anaolgy. A lot of people feel that BJJ is just a subset of MMA. These guys are warriors at heart. Warriors want challanges. They want to test themselves to see how good they can get. If there is no challange left for them in BJJ, they know there will be a monumental challage awaiting them in MMA. Plus if they truely love their art they want to take it into MMA and win with it, showign that it is a great art.

Jacare is 25.... Which isn't really that insane. LaDiainian Tomlinson is 26, Carson Palmer is 25, Kobe Byrant is 27, the world record holder for deadlift is 21. Guys like Jacare, especially Jacare with his explosiveness, are at their prime age to be whipping ass.

Bighead said:
I don't think that is a very accurate anaolgy. A lot of people feel that BJJ is just a subset of MMA. These guys are warriors at heart. Warriors want challanges. They want to test themselves to see how good they can get. If there is no challange left for them in BJJ, they know there will be a monumental challage awaiting them in MMA. Plus if they truely love their art they want to take it into MMA and win with it, showign that it is a great art.

Yeah but roger said

to me, i just think bjj is essentially about vale tudo. don't get me wrong, i train and enjoy sport jj too but i look forward to competing mma in the future and always love watching my favorite jj fighters get in the ring as well. i realize mma isnt everyone's goal and of course roger can do whatever the fuck he wants to do, he can go win however many more world titles he wants and ill keep watching....but cmon, don't you want to see great jiu jitsu fighters in mma?

Gsoares2 said:
Nah Saulo is older... In his instructional videos he says he is 30.. and i dont know how long ago those were made.

Your right! I called up my friend who also trains with Saulo and he stated that Saulo is about 31. Sorry my bad.

Wolverine
///

Wolverine said:

Wolverine
///
My old Jiu-jitsu teacher is only 26 but he looks like he is in his mid-30's like asians that are 30 but look 26...genetics what a trip.. :D

2om30 said:
My old Jiu-jitsu teacher is only 26 but he looks like he is in his mid-30's like asians that are 30 but look 26...genetics what a trip.. :D

yeah i'm almost 20 but i look like i'm 16.

chicks think it's cute ^______^

Back