Gomi is the greatest lightweight of all time

If you get real about Sakuraba being someone who could've fought at LW (& has).... & consider him in the discussion as a LW... then the discussion is over. Saku is the only correct answer.

Because of him fighting at LHW & HW... he's in the overal GOAT discussion as well imo. I don't have him as "the" GOAT... but he's definitely in the discussion with the top 10 I'd say.

Last edited:
Although I would pick prime Gomi to sleep both of them, guys who depend on their chins against arguably the hardest hitting LW ever.

I'd pick Tony over him for sure because Tony has the ability to fight long and has never been KO'd or TKO'd. He's fought a bunch of fights at WW too, and would have a huge edge on the mat. Gomi (as great as he was) was an undersized LW.

Gaethje...anyone's guess. Would be rock em sock em robots until one guy fell down and didn't get back up. Maybe Justin's leg kicks make a difference along with his size edge. But with Gomi's power and GOAT level chin (in his prime)...tough call for me.

I'd pick Tony over him for sure because Tony has the ability to fight long and has never been KO'd or TKO'd. He's fought a bunch of fights at WW too, and would have a huge edge on the mat. Gomi (as great as he was) was an undersized LW.

Gaethje...anyone's guess. Would be rock em sock em robots until one guy fell down and didn't get back up. Maybe Justin's leg kicks make a difference along with his size edge. But with Gomi's power and GOAT level chin (in his prime)...tough call for me.

In a 5 round fight I'd guess if it goes long Tony would probably wear Gomi down and finish him on the ground but again he has always been very hittable and Gomi arguably has more power in his hands than anyone he's ever faced.

Tony has fought dangerous kickers but not IMHO a boxer as dangerous as Gomi.

Last edited:
You are just asking to get shat on mate. Getting ko d in 2 seconds is not a fluke.It just means you are not as good as you thought you u were and you should reconsider your career options.

ForkedIndelibleAtlanticridleyturtle-size_restricted.gif

FinishedTeemingEastsiberianlaika-size_restricted.gif

FreshGreatCopepod-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_otc9s8EZCp1qd4esao1_400.gif

12063762a7ba08db8b5290e9c8b9a806.gif
Bump

Gomi/Kawajiri is one of the greatest fights of all-time.

And Gomi is most certainly a Top 5 GOAT LW right now.

Gomi lost to Penn and loses to Khabib, Tony and probably Conor and Gaethje. Hes not even top 5 at this point.

Hah. Come on now guy. It’s either Khabib or Tony. Hopefully they settle that soon

Khabib or El Cucuy are the greatest LWs of all time and the undisputed king will be decided when they fight one another.

No one else comes close imo.
I was the biggest Penn fan. And even with that biasing my opinion, khabibs the better fighter.

Not anymore. Gomi is up there absolutely, but we now have Tony and Gaethje too. They both bring the violence like Gomi did. I think for most exciting it's those 3 and then everyone else though.
Don’t ever mention Dustin Jaethje and Gomi in the same category

The fact anyone believes Gomi beats Khabib is ludicrous.

One thing I think Gomi would bring that you don't see very often in MMA today is the ability to mix it up to the body. I'm guessing its part of why he had such extreme KO power back in the day, opponents get caught cold expecting body shots.

Last edited:
There is no GOAT LW imo but Gomi has always secured his place in the top 5.

Penn, Gomi, Melendez, Bendo, Aoki, RDA and whoever wins between tony and Khabib should be in the list. Bendo is really on there cause of robberies too tbh.

Don’t ever mention Dustin Jaethje and Gomi in the same category

For excitement they are for sure in the same class. Don't let nostalgia blind you.

B.J. Penn is still LW GOAT. I don't know if Gomi is even at top 10.

Khabib/Tony winner will be the new LW GOAT.

Alvarez - too many bad performances and losses despite he became Bellator and UFC champ.

Benson Henderson - too many close decisions wins.

Edgar - mad respect for being the smallest LW champ ever, but similar to Benson, too many close decisions.

RDA - he had a huge potential, but he lost more against weight cut than against Alvarez.

Pettis - the most impressive title run, but too short.

Melendez - Strikeforce legend and he was close to win UFC belt, but downfall right after.

Don't think LW has a GOAT figure at this time but I have BJ above Gomi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back