Golden Era muay thai fights

UWanaPlayDaGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was too stupid to hook up my old computer to the TV and only recently I was able to do it in the new one (lol) so now I'm fascinated watching and re-watching all kinds of youtube videos and tv series and whatnot.

That includes Muay Ties' legendary library and lots of older muay thai fights especially golden era which I don't know very much about. so in this thread I will ask the experts the inevitable questions that'll come up as well as compile info for myself.

I'll start with a basic one about the goat (?) Samart: I found this boring fight where he faces Maikel Lieuwfat and I'm curious about the context of this fight. a quick search tells me Lieuwfat is a dutch fighter associated with Hemmers gym and that he fought several thais but I'd never heard of him before. Was he part of a dutch influx into Thailand at the same time of Dekkers?
and more important to me, Samart looks soooo lackadaisical in this fight like he barely acknowledges the guy which results in a lackluster performance. was this one of his last fights? And the other fights in YT where he faces several westerners (some that were broadcasted by ESPN), was that a "tour" post WBC championship? Was he in a Sanchai-like can crushing journey? I now his last fight was a legit stadium fight in Thailand so that got me curious.

Samart's fight against Wangchannoi in 1989 was his retirement fight, but he came back in 1993 both for international muay thai and boxing. His boxing comeback lasted a year, probably about the same for muay thai.

Lieuwfat also fought Rambo Pongsiri, Langsuan, Orono, and I think Karuhat (Steve Armstrong had Lieuwfat's name on the video but it doesn't look like him at all, so idk). All those fights seem to have been in Netherlands for Thai vs Dutch events, except for the Karuhat fight which was in one of the big stadiums in Thailand.

EDIT: Lieuwfat also fought Paluhadlek, and on second look it's definitely him fighting Karuhat. He lost all those fights so I can't really say anything about his career or level.

Last edited:
Thanks man that makes a lot of sense. Comeback tour for money against farangs that's why he looks that lackadaisical.

Also I'd always thought his retirement fight was the one with the brutal punching sequence KO against Panomtoanlek.

No, he gets on the mic and announces his retirement at the end here

Even though it's a french website run through google translate, SiamFightMag has lots of good info.

Anyone know how old Lamnammoon is here? I know him as "golden era" guy but have also seen his name in early 2000's cards. by what time can we say he was really shot?

Anyone know how old Lamnammoon is here? I know him as "golden era" guy but have also seen his name in early 2000's cards. by what time can we say he was really shot?

He'd be 26 in that fight, so definitely closer to the end of his career than the beginning. I've only seen his fight against Namsaknoi and a few short clips from other fights so it's hard to say when he fell off.

He'd be 26 in that fight, so definitely closer to the end of his career than the beginning. I've only seen his fight against Namsaknoi and a few short clips from other fights so it's hard to say when he fell off.

thanks mate. here's another fight of him:

Another fight of his that was just posted recently at Thai Classic. The boy was relentless.

Some great fights. There is one Thai guy on Facebook who is putting up a lot of classic fights. Have to check if he is putting them up on facebook as well.

Watch that classic fight, Sakmongkol vs Jongsanan, during the second round they were hitting each over with elbows strikes only! Crazy fight!

Sakmongkol (who previously beat Ramon Dekkers) vs the dutch kickboxer Perry Ubeda. 2 completely different styles, Sakmongkol got his shoulder dislocated but continued the fight and won!

Back