Going to Thailand in July

On another note, I also noticed that some training camps can get overcrowded if they are popular so that is something I might want to monitor.

A good friend of mine went to PTT for a total of 4 months. You can find his review here: http://myfightcamp.blogspot.com/2012/12/phuket-top-team-3-month-review-and-new.html

I read his blog and watched his videos and really liked them. He seems enthousiastic about the camp so i guess i'll also give it a go.

Do you guys think i better make a reservation for a room and training or can i wait till i arrive there/just before i leave? So that IF i wouldn't really like it i could still switch camps. Summer is downseason? So i guess it will not be as crowded anyways. (they also allow a max. of 60 students at a time)

Thanks guys!

Team Quest in Chiang Mai would be my best guess for quality muay thai and mma training.

It definitely takes a few days to adjust to the time difference, weather, and food. For the sake of time though I would just jump right in, and if the trainers are any good they will know to scale it back. Probably the number one thing is just drink LOTS of water, you will sweat buckets. To be safe I always tried to bring a 1.5 liter bottle from 7/11 every training day if you don't trust the water.

Team Quest in Chiang Mai would be my best guess for quality muay thai and mma training.

It definitely takes a few days to adjust to the time difference, weather, and food. For the sake of time though I would just jump right in, and if the trainers are any good they will know to scale it back. Probably the number one thing is just drink LOTS of water, you will sweat buckets. To be safe I always tried to bring a 1.5 liter bottle from 7/11 every training day if you don't trust the water.

i second this. PTT is really good but i would prefer team quest.

and chiang mai >>>>> Phuket.

oh yeah, thats a heartbreaking story, i hope he does well without the parental love and guidance, i hope it all worked well without it.

He will be fine, as long as he has internet access.

I read his blog and watched his videos and really liked them. He seems enthousiastic about the camp so i guess i'll also give it a go.

Do you guys think i better make a reservation for a room and training or can i wait till i arrive there/just before i leave? So that IF i wouldn't really like it i could still switch camps. Summer is downseason? So i guess it will not be as crowded anyways. (they also allow a max. of 60 students at a time)

Thanks guys!

You definitely don't need a reservation to train, but if you're going to stay at the camp, then you'll want to make a reservation.

If you get a chance to, you really should stop by Poptheeratham gym in Bangkok.

10k a month to train.
6 - 8k in a dumpier place.

15 - 20k a month for a place to sleep in and that gets u a private bungalow with AC , and in a nice place.
Dives are from 6 to 15 k a month.

You can get a whole house (furnished) for 20 - 25k

Not really accurate.

You going to call my previous condo a dumpster for 8k a month?

Picture-44.jpg

Sounds like you have no idea how to find a place and are paying the farang/tourist prices. You can get good accommodation at much lower prices if you know where to look and what to do.

Not really accurate.

Picture-44.jpg

Sounds like you have no idea how to find a place and are paying the farang/tourist prices. You can get good accommodation at much lower prices if you know where to look and what to do.

lol @ Oeshon's avatar and location... He is Payak. I knew it all a long.

Wow -- so Payak is back? Not much of a ban, huh?

Ah, well played.

Does that mean this thread's going to get locked now?

Last edited:
Sherdog Patong Boxing Gym Review

I was going off that review, but sounds like things have changed in a year or something. 50,000 baht, didn't realize they went nuts or something. Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Sounds like I'll be considering Sinbi.

The muay thai land site I linked is small, but has some reviews on some gyms and people promoting their gyms.

I am the one who wrote the review. And I am training here now (first week back). Of course, you can also listen to the great advice from other posters who haven't trained here (or "stopped by once" and are now experts). That is always helpful.

So... what's changed and hasn't changed in the last 10 months:

1. Prices for training haven't changed. Still 10,000 per month.

2. Prices for accommodations have gone way up. It is correct that monthly rate for the bungalows at the gym at now 40,000/month (total 50K with training). I stayed at the gym bungalows for 2 days during my first trip. Price was cheaper then but I didn't like them (although many people at the gym did) and so I found a little hotel just down the road (which I mention in my review). I think that 40K for what you get is not a good deal. There are only a couple of places within walking distance and I don't think any of them are super cheap (< 20K/month). So if that is your price range, you will have to get a scooter or go some place else.

3. The former manager - Anita - left the gym to start up the Fight HQ store in Patong. She was an Aussie, which made correspondence easy for those of us who prefer English. The Thai woman who promotes all the fights - Bo - is still there. I am not sure who answers emails and all that stuff since I didn't go through any of that this time around.

4. The gym has put in new carpeting (a little easier on the feet) and new Fairtex bags. Rings are the same. Gym/weight equipment which was run down last year and even more run down this year.

5. Same owner has set up a gym at the Patong Boxing Stadium. You can check their website. Slightly different structure from PBG (e.g. more traditional training times rather than spread out personal training schedule). 2 of the trainers from PBG are not at that gym (Sert and his brother). I only trained with Sert once but I liked him a lot. When I go over to the stadium to watch some fights I will take a look at the gym facilities. People are correct that the Stadium gym is right in Patong.

6. This week the gym has been a little quiet but it varies a lot from day to day. For me, the less crowded the better. I have also only been training in the morning since I am getting back into the swing of things. Afternoons always busier.

7. There are still 4-5 trainers I know from last year. My main trainer is gone but I very happy with the trainer I do have. No complaints.

8. I see some people have bashed the location. It all depends on what you want. The gym is half way between Patong and Karon. You have a nice view of the water (it is on top of a hill) and I like the fact that it is a little out of the way. I go running on Karon beach every day which is awesome. The other running options are to go to Karon or Patong along the road. Great hill training although the road is busy (and is, well, hill training and%2

Not really accurate.

Picture-44.jpg

Quiet foo , I'm talking about Phuket.
Prices START at ridiculous and by clever and astute bargaining , end up at farang and tourist prices.
Up north of the island you can have slightly better prices.

The place you showed looks nice but quite a few places (Bangkok especially) bling out on the foyer or the swimming pool but you're left wrestling rats in the bedroom.

Which hotel is it ?

He will be fine, as long as he has internet access.

i just got reading where you guys bust him for lying, i have never laughed so much but at the same time, it amazed me that someone can do something like that.

Quiet foo , I'm talking about Phuket.
Prices START at ridiculous and by clever and astute bargaining , end up at farang and tourist prices.
Up north of the island you can have slightly better prices.

The place you showed looks nice but quite a few places (Bangkok especially) bling out on the foyer or the swimming pool but you're left wrestling rats in the bedroom.

Which hotel is it ?

Ideo Ratchada. Shoebox room but very nice place and good location.

Yeah Phuket can definitely be a bit more pricey but I think those prices can be beat with a little bit of effort for sure.

I'm honestly not much of a fan for Phuket and things like that are one of the reasons.

I never pay shit until I've haggled off about 30%.

Training or food exempt.

Back