going to knees escape from side control

ulbz

White Belt
Reaction score
Alot of times my opponent will get me in side control and i'll pop up to my knees . I remember to tuck my chin to avoid the guillotine but we always wind up with a type of stalemate with my opponents arms around my chest and me controlling his wrists. What can I do from here or what can I do to avoid getting locked up like that when going to my knees?

thanks

Are you talking about turning away into a turtle position? I can't see you facing each other with his arms around your chest and your hands controlling his wrists...

If you ARE in the turtle position then you've given up your back and many view that as a more dangerous position than side control, although it is sometimes very effective to get back to your feet, esp. if you maintain wrist control.

Sit out is one option.

I'm not sure about your position. The guys have both arms around your chest, both arms above the shoulder or one arm in between your shoulder and neck and the other over your shoulder? Dam i wish i had a pics ;-)

If the guys have both arms around your chest and close together (bad positioning in fact) you can warp his elbows with yours, roll and bridge.

He will be on his back with all your weight on his chest. From there you have many options.

If he's correct with the position, Sit out is the option.

If you are controlling his wrists, he has screwed up. I think this should only happen at the beginner stage.

Normally you end up going for a takedown, a sitout, or sitting back to guard. Normally he will have some sort of whizzer on you, likely matched with a guillotine grip.

You should be able to re-establish guard very easy if you have wrist control.

At any rate, remember to take the underhook when you go to your knees!

Just in case you miss the underhook, is their anything you can do with a good whizzer grip?

Just in case you miss the underhook, is their anything you can do with a good whizzer grip?

It's just about impossible to get to your knees if he has the underhook and you have the overhook. If you want to get to your knees, you gotta bring your arm inside of his underhook, for an underhook of your own (best) or just grabbing at his knee (also good). An overhook is useless from bottom side control, you are just digging your own grave.

That's why the guy on top always ends up with the whizzer v. your underhook.

That's why the guy on top always ends up with the whizzer v. your underhook.

Makes sense. Which was my real my question anyway. What can I do from a whizzer after my opponent escapes halfguard/side control.

A question for another thread I spose.

from a over/under you can still sit out.

never mind. you are asking about being the top guy?

Makes sense. Which was my real my question anyway. What can I do from a whizzer after my opponent escapes halfguard/side control.

A question for another thread I spose.

Oh. Your main options with that whizzer are to crank your opponent flat into the ground (you can take mount or the back, or go back to side control). Alternatively, you can hit the brabo, or an arm-in guillotine, a bunch of variations off them.

I'm a fan of the good ole quarter nelson.
image01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back