Going back to the gym after 2 years lay off

Yes it is.

Of course plus a lot other things too.
There actually are guys that train MT or even coaches or coached it, maybe they will post something helpful for you.

In what contition it is?
I died after 3 rounds. Can't go hard at all. I'd last maybe a minute if I go hard. Dada 5000 cardio level.

My only advice is this.

-You are not going to get it back all at once, pace yourself back. The skills will come back, slowly..bit by bit.

-Stay motivated and get back to the reason you started to train in the first place, use that as the driving force to keep you consistent.

I died after 3 rounds. Can't go hard at all. I'd last maybe a minute if I go hard.
Actually not bad.
You just recently started training again, so for sparring I think maybe is too early too.
By hard you mean fast sparring or hard? Light might be also damn fast, shadowboxing too.

How many rounds you can last if you just do fast shadowbox like stuff?

Actually not bad.
You just recently started training again, so for sparring I think maybe is too early too.
By hard you mean fast sparring or hard? Light might be also damn fast, shadowboxing too.

How many rounds you can last if you just do fast shadowbox like stuff?
I'd really have to pace myself. If I go fast my heart starts pumping really fast. Maybe like a few combo before I slow it down. I can go maybe 10 strong kicks on the pads/bag before feeling it and start slowing it down.

Yea I definitely let myself go. I really don't understand how some fighters also let themselves go for like a year then train for 3 months and go back to competing professionally.
ronda-rousey-happy-smiling-photos-36-480w.jpg
post-3516-14514119832057.jpg

A big part is the sport's focus. The milestone is the prize that is the gold, and once its achieved, drive and motivation is really out the window. It happens alot here in the ammies, coaches and the community will build up a certain tournament or title, and people will grind day and night to get that, once they do, they feel there's nothing left in the sport and check out after. For the most part, it's pretty short term. Sure, there's always examples of people who do practice and continue to train in their 50s, but really, they're the exception, not the rule. Burnouts are pretty common, its no different than any competitive industry.

One thing TMAs have thats better in this regard, is people who join those gyms do it for the lifestyle or the community aspect, and tend to keep training long term. I've had close teammates who were quite talented just quit fitness in general after achieving their short-term goals. A combination of focusing on their real careers, families, and other hobbies ended up soaking up their time. A couple have gotten burnt out so bad, they quit combat sports; One basically was forced into an unnatural weight class, and was expected to maintain that weight in the event a fight appeared, and the injury rate started to pop up more frequently; Shortly after, he just called it quits. Training twice a day 6 days a week, hard dieting with no real break does that. It started interfering with his personal life too. Been there, so I get that part.

Last edited:
Hey guys I used to be a gym rat training 2x a day 3-5x a week. Then life got in the way and I got fat and unhealthy. So after 2 years I'm finally fed up with myself and going back to the gym next week. First Muay Thai class in 2 years. What should I expect?

I'm honestly afraid I won't even make it pass the jump rope warm up stage. Should I pace myself hoping to last the night or go hard like I used to and just suck it up? I want to get back into shape ASAP but also being able to finish the class. I remember when I first started I couldn't even finish the class and was sore for days. I'm really afraid of this especially after telling them I used to train lol.

tldr: Any tips for an out of shape middle age fatty going back to the gym in 2 years?

Everytime i was on a lay off, i quickly got my conditioning, speed and power, footwork and headmovement up to par after nearly 2 weeks of consistent training. Its not too bad sometimee getting back into it you just got push yourself to keep going.

Now that im in philly, where everything is close to me literally everything. Its easier for me to get to my boxing gym without a car and without any annoying dumbass drivers pissing me off and scratching my car.

Unfortunately im forced to do drop ins for now, because my job didnt give me the hrs they promised and i have laundry groceries and rent to pay for. So yeah.

Now i learnt the true valuable lesson of moving to metropolitan area. NEVER WORK FOR UPS.

Back