God bless H.S. Wrestling...

nemesis42 said:
personally i didnt really like wrestling because it interfered with my Jiu-Jitsu. once you get on the ground you have to turn to your stomach and give your opponent your back. I wasnt very comfortable doing that because in jiu-jitsu you want to do the exact opposite but beside that they taught me alot more takedowns and I inproved alot on my base.

Eh... it's not really that hard to get rid of. I switch from wrestling to MMA constantly. It only takes me about a week to get used to. Besides. You should be working on your sprawl enough so that you don't get taken down :p

what's the best way to learn to wrestle if you are say 20 years old? i have wanted to know ever since i got owned by a wrestler that trains with kerr

Diligent said:
Yep ... I live less than 1.5 miles away from MacArthur HS in Irving. I didn't go to MacArthur, but I know all about it. I graduated in June of 2003, so I'm a youngstah. I went to Colleyville Heritage, which is about 15 minutes from Irving (I used to live in Colleyville until I recently moved to Irving). I knew Brady Tarbush (who wrestles for OU now) ... he went to CHHS and graduated in '04.

I agree, wrestling is really growing. ... and title IX really irritates me, but meh .... I go to UTA right now and there will probably be a UTA wrestling team (for the NCWA) next year. Me and another guy (who just got the TCC team started) are going to be getting it set up in a while. I super excited about it!

BTW, we are talking about 'real' wrestling, NOT WWE stuff as for the ice hockey/popularity thing, right? ... I guess it all depends on what one considers "popular" to mean, whether it's regarding quantity of ppl involved, amount of money spent/invested, tv ratings, # of specialty stores, availability of competition, whatever else ....

Just try to talk to everyday normal folks here about folkstyle/collegiate wrestling, and a lot of the time, you'll get a "you mean WWE???" or "wrestling is gay, man" or some indifferent response ... then talk to them about ice hockey and the Dallas Stars, and the Ft. Worth Brahmas, the Texas Tornados, the Austin Ice Bats, and you'll get a more of a positive response and acknowledgement, because the common person has so much more to relate to with ice hockey because of TV, newspapers, advertisements, ticket sales, shops, pro teams (wrestling has very little of any of these to use to its' advantage) ... to me, overall, there is just no way that wrestling can even compete with hockey in overall fan base/popularity, even here in Texas, regardless of how fast wrestling is growing at the moment. But that's my OPINION. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me which is more popular. I'm really glad wrestling is growing so much over here. I really hope UTA gets a team coming soon. I also wonder if UT will ever get one ... for a school with 50,000 students, it amazes me that they don't have a wrestling team/club ... of the 42 different athletic clubs ... they don't even have a wrestling team. sickens me!!!!

should've jumped on the wrestling bandwagon. you could've learned a shitton from keith clifton and hell even ryan huerman, both state champs i think. but i mean there're thousands more youths that wrestle than play ice hockey in texas, yes thousands. texas has always been a powerhouse in youth wrestling, it's middle school, and high school where it begins to fall apart.

this makes me so jealous. I was a spoiled kid and got sent to a private school. Football, basketball, baseball, and track only. No wrestling team. Now I'm in college and taking submission wrestling classes and I'm way behind most of the guys in that class because they've been training for 5 or 6 years ahead of me now.

I just discovered H.S. wrestling too bro, after moving away from Va I began to miss my BJJ classes. I signed up for wrestling the next day and I became in love with it.

sacrificing yet another whole friday night of staying out and partying I woke up at 5:30am on Saturday morning. I darted out've the house at 5:45 to get to school at 6:00am. Coach opened the locker rooms and turned the heater on. Its easy to tell the varsity from the junior varsity; anyone who comes in cut offs are usually caught gassing, whereas the guys in layers tend to silently move along. After about forty five minutes of straight jogging we move to a little heavier form of cardio. Sprints inbetween the rows, sprawls and pushups and the ends.

half an hour later we wrestle live for about another hour. we work escapes, top and bottom, our takedowns and takedowns defences (which mine was at its best yesterday).

one word. Dicipline.

Truculent said:
Coach opened the locker rooms and turned the heater on. Its easy to tell the varsity from the junior varsity; anyone who comes in cut offs are usually caught gassing, whereas the guys in layers tend to silently move along. After about forty five minutes of straight jogging we move to a little heavier form of cardio. Sprints inbetween the rows, sprawls and pushups and the ends.

half an hour later we wrestle live for about another hour. we work escapes, top and bottom, our takedowns and takedowns defences (which mine was at its best yesterday).

one word. Dicipline.

This sounds exactly like the training I watched the day before the tournament. I walked into the gym and someone immediately shouted "SHUT THE DOOR, YOU'RE LETTIN' THE HEAT OUT!" The place was a sauna and everyone was in sweats with the hoods over their heads.
I was sweating sitting on the sidelines doing nothing. I am still impressed that this was a "rest day" because it was the day before the tournament.

OpethDrums said:
what's the best way to learn to wrestle if you are say 20 years old? i have wanted to know ever since i got owned by a wrestler that trains with kerr

That's kind of the point of my thread Opeth. Again, I'm pretty sure a small H.S. wrestling team coach could use some kind of help. Doesn't hurt to go ask.

Bubble Boy said:
That's kind of the point of my thread Opeth. Again, I'm pretty sure a small H.S. wrestling team coach could use some kind of help. Doesn't hurt to go ask.

I never turned down help in practice. Everyone has something to offer.

The best way for older guys (who are out of high school) to learn wrestling is to join a freestyle club. The season starts after the HS season and is open to all ages. The last tourny I was in (at age 21), I got 2nd place. The guy who got first looked like he was about 40. I'm not ashamed to say I got handled. That guy was strong and his grip was killer. I chaulk that loss up to a phenomenon I like to call "old-man tough."
Go to the local HS and ask the head coach. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

im doing this right now.. im training with frank trigg. hes a wrestling coach at a nearby high school. It's really been hard for me though to train both bjj and wrestling on the same day. and i dont want to sacrifice my bjj training

If you're training BJJ and wrestling on the same day....then you have an advantage over anyone who isn't. Keep it up. Must be cool to roll with Trigg. I'm not his biggest fan, but I'm sure he's got a ton to offer as a coach.

hayliks said:
should've jumped on the wrestling bandwagon. you could've learned a shitton from keith clifton and hell even ryan huerman, both state champs i think. but i mean there're thousands more youths that wrestle than play ice hockey in texas, yes thousands. texas has always been a powerhouse in youth wrestling, it's middle school, and high school where it begins to fall apart.

Yeah, I really was surprised to see the amount of youth wrestling teams around the metroplex when I first got started. That's very encouraging, to say the least.

Man, I remember Keith Clifton. I remember when I was a freshman and he was a senior, he and I would be in the weightroom a lot ... and he never said a word to me or anyone. He, of course for a freshman like me, was intimidating ... he always looked very, very serious and was always throwing weights around like an animal ... me and my friends stayed outta his way, haha. I don't really remember Huerman, though ... did he have a beard?

that sucks for me mississippi is the only state that doesent have wrestling in school.

bob , there was a young man who came to florida VIA Cuba who was on the cuban junior olympic judo team. He made it to state tournament his 1st year of wrestling , 2nd year of wrestling and by the 3rd year he went undefeated and won the state title.

Judo translates quite well to wrestling once you get more time to practice mat work.

do you know his name by any chance?

damn this thread is pretty old, but an enjoyable read nonetheless :)

I wish the available wrestling coach at my school wasn't a douche...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back