GOAT by weight classes - 2014 vs 2011

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
I figured that P4P discussions are kinda fruitless as it is hard to conceive how, say, a late 90s Vovchanchyn would have fared against, say, Chuck Liddell in his prime (provided they had the same weight). It's tough enough to decide among fighters of the same weight.

So how about breaking up the discussion and dividing it into weight classes?

I made the same thread some 3.5 years ago (http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/goat-weight-classes-1502259/) and I realized that actually not that much has probably changed.

Here are my proposals:

HW: Fedor (honorable mention: Vovchanchyn, Cain Velasquez)
LHW: Jon Jones (2011 majority saw Shogun / Wanderlei / Chuck)
MW: Anderson Silva
WW: GSP
LW: BJ

Don't really know enough historically about the lower weight classes, but feel free to add your suggestions.

HW: Fedor (Cain doesn't deserve an honourable mention yet. He's not that close. He's fought 2 guys in like 5 years). Nog is number 2.

LHW: Jones (Chuck, Shogun, Wand, Rampage all in a group below Jones).

MW: Anderson (No one anywhere near him).

WW: GSP (Hughes is 2nd).

LW: BJ (too many LWs are too close but BJ is the most dominant I've seen. Gomi, Aoki, Edgar, Bendo).

FW: Aldo

BW: Barao (Cruz potentially).

FLW: have no idea

Women: Mayweather

After Fedor and Anderson I don't think people really care that much.

Why is Fedor on the list didnt he beat Barnett,Nogueira,Rogers and a bunch of pro wrestlers in a non drug tested promotion?

196-didnt-read-lol.png

Yeah not much has changed in the past 3 years. maybe 5 years ago when the old school was still all that we had.

Only one that has changed is lhw ith jones

NOG is number 2? dude got knocked out by Frank Mir lol if that's the case, Roy Nelson is GOAT.

NOG is number 2? dude got knocked out by Frank Mir lol if that's the case, Roy Nelson is GOAT.

He has a shit load of top wins and a great resume of wins. He's a pretty clear #2 at HW.

Why is Fedor on the list didnt he beat Barnett,Nogueira,Rogers and a bunch of pro wrestlers in a non drug tested promotion?

No he didn't beat Barnett. They never fought and if everyone is able to use drugs then it's an even playing field. Fedor is clearly the HW GOAT and he's better than GSP.

HW: Fedor (Cain doesn't deserve an honourable mention yet. He's not that close. He's fought 2 guys in like 5 years). Nog is number 2.

LHW: Jones (Chuck, Shogun, Wand, Rampage all in a group below Jones).

MW: Anderson (No one anywhere near him).

WW: GSP (Hughes is 2nd).

LW: BJ (too many LWs are too close but BJ is the most dominant I've seen. Gomi, Aoki, Edgar, Bendo).

FW: Aldo

BW: Barao (Cruz potentially).

FLW: have no idea

Women: Mayweather

All aboard here :)

HW - Cain
LHW - Jones
MW - Anderson
WW - GSP
Irrelevant small weight classes

Back