Glucosamine & chondroiton???

Flounder

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok. This stuff has been touted for years for the aid in joint pain, recovery, etc. Me being a BJJ student could always use some help for my joints. But logically, I don't see it doing much. They're both going to be digested and are prolly just protein right? Anyone know anything about these suppliments?? Do they help? Or is it just a waste?? Or is this another one of those suppliments, where you would need to consume a humongous quantity to reap any benefits?

It probably won't hurt. It can't be that bad, my grandma's doctor recommended it. Fish Oil and Flaxseed oil are supposed to be good for your joints too. I take it, but I dont really know. Wish I could be more helpful, but I'm curios too.

Ok. This stuff has been touted for years for the aid in joint pain, recovery, etc. Me being a BJJ student could always use some help for my joints. But logically, I don't see it doing much. They're both going to be digested and are prolly just protein right? Anyone know anything about these suppliments?? Do they help? Or is it just a waste?? Or is this another one of those suppliments, where you would need to consume a humongous quantity to reap any benefits?

Glucosamine and Chondroitin are far from proteins. They are the two most reputable products for joint pain, particularly arthritis. But they are long-term use products. Reason being is they help to repair damaged joint tissue, and that takes time. The fatty oils help by keeping the joints properly lubricated, think the Tin Man's oil can in the Wizard of Oz.

I take myself, and usually recommend the Triflex from GNC. It contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM which is an anti-inflammatory. So it keeps that burning ache at bay.

hey, thanks for the input Kabuki. I'll look into it.

King Kabuki said:
But they are long-term use products. Reason being is they help to repair damaged joint tissue, and that takes time.
King Kabuki, does that mean if you stop taking it then the pain (or whatever you are taking it for) will come back? I had heard like what you said, "long-term", meant years.

I had a joint problem in my elbow that bothered me for about 6 months. After a month of using glucosamine the problem went away and hasn't come back since.

It worked for my tendonitus in my forearms and elbows. Make sure you get the one with MSM.

I recommend Joint Synergy by MRM.

Active Ingredients: (Amount per 4 capsules)
Glucosamine Sulfate (KCl) - 1000mg
MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane) - 500mg
Noto-Panax Ginseng - 100mg (95% Saponins supplying min 4% Noto-ginsenosides)
Chondroitin complex - 280mg
Collagen complex (typeII) - 200mg
Sea Cucumber - 100mg (25% mucopolysaccharides)
CMO (25%) - 100mg
Boswellia serrata- 200mg Bromelain (2400 GDU) - 100mg
White Willow bark (0.1% salicylates) - 80mg
Tumeric (95% curcuminoids) - 75mg
Manganese (citrate) - 8mg

http://www.mrm-usa.com/search.php

King Kabuki, does that mean if you stop taking it then the pain (or whatever you are taking it for) will come back? I had heard like what you said, "long-term", meant years.

Not that I've heard, but I think it largely depends on the intensity of activity in-question.

From what I understand (this info related to me by Dr. Eric Heiden, secondhand), Glucosamine and Chondroitin w/MSM are slightly less effective anti-inflammatories than Ibuprofen, but they don't impose stress on your liver/kidneys/whatever. So you can take it every day.

Some people seem to think you can take Aspirin and Ibuprofen every day, but apparently they're discovering more and more long term health consequences in people who use these so liberally.

Mick-

I've never heard G/C/MSM being anti-inflamm's.

From what I understand they only support, maintain and in some cases, rebuild damaged cartilage, lube tendons and ligaments.

You have to hit the inflammation with something else....bromelain, tumeric, ibuprofen.

MSM works as an anti-inflammatory Chad. Gluc/Chond not really. But MSM fits the bill. Though you're right, paired with Bromelain it tends to get the best results.

Back