Economy Global billionaire tax could yield $250 billion annually, study says

Isn't that one and the same though? Aren't a lot of Walmart workers claiming government assistance? Seems if they're lowering prices by squeezing competition by underpaying staff (probably also cutting suppliers as tight as possible as all these companies tend to do) then I don't really see that as a net positive.
Minimum wage employees in some circumstances can claim government assistance, it's not really an issue that is exclusive to Walmart. I would wager they pay their staff just as much as any other low skill employers, looking at their jobs page they seem to pay $12 - $23 for in store jobs which is quite a bit higher than minimum wage. Do you have any evidence that Walmart underpays their employees compared to other retail stores?

According to https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes412031.htm, the average retail worker gets $14.71 an hour, which is on the lower end of Walmart's pay range. However I would imagine that Walmart has much better benefits than smaller retailers, so I would think Walmart is paying pretty well all things considered.

Minimum wage employees in some circumstances can claim government assistance, it's not really an issue that is exclusive to Walmart. I would wager they pay their staff just as much as any other low skill employers, looking at their jobs page they seem to pay $12 - $23 for in store jobs which is quite a bit higher than minimum wage. Do you have any evidence that Walmart underpays their employees compared to other retail stores?

According to https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes412031.htm, the average retail worker gets $14.71 an hour, which is on the lower end of Walmart's pay range. However I would imagine that Walmart has much better benefits than smaller retailers, so I would think Walmart is paying pretty well all things considered.
So if you're pro small business you should be all for better government provided social safety nets like UHC. That way the small business is able to compete with Walmart by not having to cut deals with insurers and paying out the ass for employees benefits.

So if you're pro small business you should be all for better government provided social safety nets like UHC. That way the small business is able to compete with Walmart by not having to cut deals with insurers and paying out the ass for employees benefits.
That's what Medicaid is, it provides a social safety net for people with low income who don't happen to have work sponsored health benefits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back